• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$350 budget for video card upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

Currently running the machine in my signature. I am using two 1080p monitors.

I game occasionally, but NEVER on high settings as its impossible to be competitive. I pull 100fps in almost all games I play now. I keep having an itch to upgrade my video card, but not really sure its worth it.

As an example... My brother just went from a GTX 1060 6GB card to a GTX 1080. His 1060 was basically the same frames as my current card in PubG and Battlefield. With his new card he is about 50fps faster than me. We all use the same in game settings.

Seems like I can get a used GTX 1080 on ebay… Just not sure if its worth it or not. Possibly hold out even longer? I was going to buy a 2080 until I saw they weren't worth the cash to performance I was hoping.

I don't have any lag issues, screen tearing etc, just have an itch. Any input?

Looks like you made up your mind, saw the 1080 of E_Ds in the classies. It'll definitely be an upgrade but as you said your current card is keeping up fine. I mean if you just want to upgrade that's a good step, the 1080 I mean

having recently upgraded from rx580 to 1080 I am loving it. Higher settings, higher resolution and more FPS. Is that worth $350 to you?

Depends on how many fps difference that is and what hes coming from. ;)

A 1080 will smoke a 290x at half the power use. :)

Thanks EarthDog! Curious to see the difference! Great guy to work with. The timing was perfect.

You guys talking that card? Lol. I would have bought it if it wasn't for cross-continental shipment fees, customs clearance etc. I'm really glad it has found someone who will appreciate it. Here, $400 would only get you a used MSI Armor. At this point I'm seriously thinking about buying an FE clone and snapping an Accelero on it. (Morpheus would be even batter but much more expensive coming without fans).

Back