• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat Shrink Recommendations for EK D5 Pump Wires

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattMan657

Hey all,

I'd like to heat shrink the wires on my EK Dual D5 PWM Pumps, and was wondering if folks knew of any solid recommendations on heat shrink tubing or a kit. The cables are simply just a 4pin molex for power and a 4 pin fan header for PWM. The tubing fitting over the Molex would be the bigger item.

Don't need anything fancy, just something to organize and clean up the wires.

Thanks!
Matt

If you only need a few feet of one size you can shop at Wally World, Home Despots, or Lower's. Heat shrink tubing all has the same specs, was originally a 3M product, and they produce a lot of the stuff as private label or no label for resellers. There are other licensed manufacturers as well. Just check the baggie for the reduction ratio and color, length and you've got it figured out. I've bought and sold a bunch of this over the years.

ah good point Robert, home depot/lowes sells it in the electrical dept. as well.

You do mean to remove the wires from the connector then feed them through the heat shrink? No heat shrink will shrink enough for any connector, especially through a 4 pin Molex. You'll have to remove the wires from the connector, on all of them including the tiny 4 pin for a mobo. It's not that hard to do.

Don't know where you live but if in the US, Harbor Freight, has an excellent selection of heat shrink tubing with very reasonable prices.

They even have Marine Grade with an internal adhesive coating that seals internally as the tubing shrinks, which is perfect for sealing wires.

I 2nd Conumdrums post.

However since you were hoping to not have to take the molex apart there is another option that I have used many, many times.

3m and other companies make a silicon rubber fusion tape, this tape has no adhesive, is slightly stretchable for a tight wrap around fit, but it actually fuses to itself in seconds, it would be literally the same look as shrink and would stay exactly where you put it.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-2155-Rubber-Splicing-Tape/dp/B001CGVEXS

I'm pretty sure it's available at Home Depot and Lowes as well, may be a different brand name but the same product.

Last edited:
Thanks for the words of wisdom all. I ended up getting the following from FrozenCPU and just finished sleeving and heat shrinking the cables. I think it came out really well for my first time heat shrinking and sleeving. Practiced removing the fan pins on a spare fan to get the hang of it, molex pin removal is super easy with the tool I purchased. Ran a little short on the sleeving so used a bit more heat shrink on the molex cables but no biggie, can't see the molex from the front of the case anyways. Overall it looks A LOT better than before. It's definitely a little surprising that EK doesn't sleeve these for you. They do it on their single D5 pumps, would think they'd include that on their most expensive pump setup.

Bitspower Cable Sleeve
1/4 Inch Heatshrink
Fan Connector Pin Removal Tool
Molex Pin Rembal Tool

BEFORE
unfinished.jpg

AFTER
connectors up close.jpg
Pump Side.jpg
finished.jpg

Back