• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me get AMD Ryzen 2700x higher han 4.1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

verwooks

Registered
Hi,
Im new to AMD oc and this is my setup:

AMD Ryzen 2700x
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz
Samsung 970 pro 512gb
Corsair Hydro H150i PRO
Fractal Design R6

Im stable at 4,1ghz at vcore 1,35625, buuuut, id like to go higher if possible :)

Overclocking using UEFI bios (can i use Ryzen masters instead?), and check stability with CB15.

At 4,2 ghz (or 4,3) CB15 freezes almost instantly.

This i have tried:
* I have been trying 4,2 from vcore 1,3 - 1,42 without luck.
* Left Memory untouched, and overclocked to 3000mhz as well. With 1,2 stock voltage.
* All AI/auto stuff is disabled in UEFI bios. (AI overclock tuner: Manual, Core performance bias: None, Core performance boost: Disabled)
* Read the AMD overclocking guide on this forum
* Temps is good. With 4,1 ghz I get 51-52 degrees celcius with prime95 test. In AMD ryzen master and liquid cooler temp on H150i pro shows 30 degrees celsius.
* 4,1 ghz and memory oc stable for 8 hour blend Prime95

Not sure where to go from here, i could try higher core voltages, but is it safe? Should i adjust CPU SOC Voltage? How about External Digi+ power control, all those are at default values.

Hope i haven't left anything out here, and bear with me on noobish AMD overclocking. Thanks .. :)

View attachment 203187
View attachment 203188
View attachment 203189

Last edited:
There are much better overclocking people on here than me that may be able to help you tune that little extra out of the chip.

However I would say don’t hold your breath. Really good chips will overclock to 4.3 with lots of voltage (maybe a bit too much) and the average max is 4.2.

You also have a b450 board which may be holding you back that extra few MHz compared to if you had an x470 board.

I would say you may have hit your limit.

Also cinebench isn’t a good stability check program. You want to be looking at prime95 which will test the cpu a lot more.

verwooks you may want to try x370 board with a update Bios. I have a asrock Taichi x370 that run as well as any x470. (Newegg has it $179.00 )

verwooks, Welcome to the forum.
A few thing that come to mind. What exactly are you using to confirm stability. You mention Prime and Cinebench15, if prime how long? Have you tested for stability after raising the memory to 3000 Mhz? Have you tried running the Dram at stock to see if maybe it helps give you another 100 MHz or so? Can you post a screen shot of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory, maybe well see something you're missing.

Yea maybe B450 could be holding it back, not sure if its worth it swapping MB now to get 1-200 mhz more.

So maybe hitting 4.1ghz is kinda good on this one, and i could maybe get more if I tweak some more?

Here are my BIOS settings:

20181230_233607.jpg
20181230_233616.jpg
20181230_233623.jpg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

verwooks, Welcome to the forum.
A few thing that come to mind. What exactly are you using to confirm stability. You mention Prime and Cinebench15, if prime how long? Have you tested for stability after raising the memory to 3000 Mhz? Have you tried running the Dram at stock to see if maybe it helps give you another 100 MHz or so? Can you post a screen shot of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory, maybe well see something you're missing.

Thanks! I have been using Prime test for only 2-4 hours, but planning on doing overnight tests. The 2 hour test was with memory 3000 mhz, blend test.

View attachment 203190
View attachment 203191
View attachment 203192

check into XFR.2 overclocking

Capture.PNG

This is my 24/7 setup

cpu.PNG

use Aida64 for burn in test ( not as hard on the CPU ) but it works.

Watch The VRM Temps on that board (Keep FAN on them )

Good luck!

Last edited:
He's running a higher clock and RAM tuning helps a bit. One thi I read, you have the memory "overclocked" to 3000 with 1.2 V? That's likely too low, 1.35 V sounds a bit more likely for a proper voltage for RAM at that speed.
THE XFR2 being referred to is actually PBO performance boost overdrive. You should be able to find the settings in the Advanced section in BIOS look under AMD CBS heading it'll be in there may have a slightly different name but has different levels. It should allow you to set your all core boost a bit higher to 4.1 maybe 4.2 and will also keep the 2 core boost at 4.35. It's a very easy way to overclock. Leave the voltage on auto and use offset if needed to get the voltage where you need it.

My clocks are at stock, its all the Ram and PBO plus VCORE offset. Which should work on that Lite VRM Motherboard, And make for a nice 24/7 system.

After setting this up, I just ran CB15. This is one way to tell if your OC is working. ( over 1800 )

Just remember the better the cooling and MB the better the OC, keep a fan on the VRM.

Last edited:
My clocks are at stock, its all the Ram and PBO plus VCORE offset. Which should work on that Lite VRM Motherboard, And make for a nice 24/7 system.

After setting this up, I just ran CB15. This is one way to tell if your OC is working. ( over 1800 )

Just remember the better the cooling and MB the better the OC, keep a fan on the VRM.
Ok! Tell me more about your vcore offset settings. Im not quite sure how i should adjust this. I guess + some kind of value to allow some headroom for more volt on demand?

I have the AIO radiator on front, pushing airflow into the case, and 2 fans on top and 1 back for pulling the hot air out. Is that bad for VRM cooling?

Just tried did 2 CB15 runs without freeze @4,2 ghz with core volt 1,46. Is core volt 1,46 pushing it to the limit for 24/7, or is it fine?

I have all voltage set to Auto, All but Ram. The VCore offset is set at -0.05, you can adjust this, and you should be good. Run CB15 and if more than 1800 you got it. If you change any CPU timings or voltage the system turn PBO off.
Watch the VRM Temps this very hard them.

The CPU adjust the voltage it needs and check CPU Temps, but not VRM Temps.

verwooks do you have PBO enable in Bios ? And what kinds of scores are you getting at 4.2.

Last edited:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...1-4.html?_ga=1.23068155.1932145986.1448157588

"AMD predicts that most customers should see somewhere between 3.9 and 4.1 GHz across all cores, and suggests you stick with a 1.35V ceiling if you want your chip to last. Although core voltages in excess of 1.45V are considered sustainable, they'll have a more pronounced effect on longevity."

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/luke-hill/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-cpu-review/2/

"Default voltage for manual tuning should start at around 1.3625V, according to AMD. Users should be fine pushing to 1.40V with a decent CPU cooler and up to 1.45V with a high-end dual-tower heatsink or dual-fan AIO radiator. At 1.45V, however, AMD suggests that processor longevity could be affected according to their models."

Just picked up a 2700x and man. First thoughts this thing is a turd. But then again my 1700x was amazing and knowing that my 2600x is avrage I'm still working on it. My 1700x was a beast. Before I swapped them out I was 4.247 ghz 1.416v my 2700x is sitting at 4.21ghz 1.42v still gotta mess with stuff but man that 1700x was no joke $130 from microcenter and as of right now only pretty close to the 2700x.

Just be careful with your vrm temps. I still got a bunch more room but I used the Strix x470 and I think the b has less beefy vrm and I know my 1700x got those heatsinks pretty warm.

What batch number do you have? I just picked up a UA 1847PGS. 1700x was milasian the 2700x is China.

Currently

4.24 on the 2700x and 3368 on 4 sticks of ram. Slightly better imc then the 1700x i have but in terms of clocking this thing is kinda of a turd. So i feel your pain.

Last edited:
I have all voltage set to Auto, All but Ram. The VCore offset is set at -0.05, you can adjust this, and you should be good. Run CB15 and if more than 1800 you got it. If you change any CPU timings or voltage the system turn PBO off.
Watch the VRM Temps this very hard them.

The CPU adjust the voltage it needs and check CPU Temps, but not VRM Temps.

verwooks do you have PBO enable in Bios ? And what kinds of scores are you getting at 4.2.

I currently do not have PBO enabled. I get better CB 15 scores with manual OC to 4,1 ghz with 1,35 vcore voltage, highest score is 1820 at 4,1. When I did the runs at 4,2 with core voltages at 1,46 I got 1845. When testing in CB15 with PBO it just doesn't boost my overclock, but i frequently see the vcore voltage in CPUz going higher than 1,4 and even 1,45. If i overclock with PBO level 3 or 4 in bios it goes nuts with 1,5 vcore voltages seen in BIOS .. strange? I dont trust the OC mode other than regular "AUTO" here, but then i still see vcore voltages in CPUz higher than 1,4. BUT AMD master always reports a lower value under "voltage control (CPU voltage)". (I have latest bios 1201 installed btw)

I have 2 top exhausts fans above the VRM at least in my Fractal R6 case, will that help? I have no idea where to read the VRM temps, but after searching this out, it seems to be impossible on most motherboards?

Im gonna test out the offset settings with regular Auto settings. Im wondering if any of the VRM DIGI+ settings can help me out?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...1-4.html?_ga=1.23068155.1932145986.1448157588

"AMD predicts that most customers should see somewhere between 3.9 and 4.1 GHz across all cores, and suggests you stick with a 1.35V ceiling if you want your chip to last. Although core voltages in excess of 1.45V are considered sustainable, they'll have a more pronounced effect on longevity."

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/luke-hill/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-cpu-review/2/

"Default voltage for manual tuning should start at around 1.3625V, according to AMD. Users should be fine pushing to 1.40V with a decent CPU cooler and up to 1.45V with a high-end dual-tower heatsink or dual-fan AIO radiator. At 1.45V, however, AMD suggests that processor longevity could be affected according to their models."

Yea the guide explains that. But 24/7 on 1,35 and some gaming boosting beyond that could be fine on the long term maybe?

Just picked up a 2700x and man. First thoughts this thing is a turd. But then again my 1700x was amazing and knowing that my 2600x is avrage I'm still working on it. My 1700x was a beast. Before I swapped them out I was 4.247 ghz 1.416v my 2700x is sitting at 4.21ghz 1.42v still gotta mess with stuff but man that 1700x was no joke $130 from microcenter and as of right now only pretty close to the 2700x.

Just be careful with your vrm temps. I still got a bunch more room but I used the Strix x470 and I think the b has less beefy vrm and I know my 1700x got those heatsinks pretty warm.

What batch number do you have? I just picked up a UA 1847PGS. 1700x was milasian the 2700x is China.

Currently

4.24 on the 2700x and 3368 on 4 sticks of ram. Slightly better imc then the 1700x i have but in terms of clocking this thing is kinda of a turd. So i feel your pain.

Hmm didn't take a picture of the CPU before assembling the AIO.

Is it possible to check out the VRM temps via software? If not, how? Need a laser infrared tempmonitor?

Just tried did 2 CB15 runs without freeze @4,2 ghz with core volt 1,46. Is core volt 1,46 pushing it to the limit for 24/7, or is it fine?

You're at it's top OC without significant more voltage.

I found to obtain higher than 4.2ghz clocks, say running 4350Mhz @ 1.51250v, I simply turn off SMT. You'll only have the 8 threads however and may be shunned lol.

2700X 4.3Ghz IBT pass.png

Im wondering if any of the VRM DIGI+ settings can help me out?

Set to extreme.

In windows set system to performance to keep clocks stable in Cpu-z.

You're at it's top OC without significant more voltage.

I found to obtain higher than 4.2ghz clocks, say running 4350Mhz @ 1.51250v, I simply turn off SMT. You'll only have the 8 threads however and may be shunned lol.

View attachment 203275

Set to extreme.

In windows set system to performance to keep clocks stable in Cpu-z.

Thanks, with all VRM DIGI+ to extreme I tried a 4,2 ghz clock with cpu vcore 1,4. I had several CB15 runs without crash, dunno if its stable with prime95 yet though.

Again, i did vcore 1,4 manual in BIOS (not auto or offset), but i get core voltage higher in CPU-z and different in HWinfo and AMD ryzen master, what is correct? What should i trust? This was while doing a CB15 run.

EDIT: guess this is LLC set to extreme raising the vcore maybe?

vcore.PNG

Last edited:
I currently do not have PBO enabled. I get better CB 15 scores with manual OC to 4,1 ghz with 1,35 vcore voltage, highest score is 1820 at 4,1. When I did the runs at 4,2 with core voltages at 1,46 I got 1845. When testing in CB15 with PBO it just doesn't boost my overclock, but i frequently see the vcore voltage in CPUz going higher than 1,4 and even 1,45. If i overclock with PBO level 3 or 4 in bios it goes nuts with 1,5 vcore voltages seen in BIOS .. strange? I dont trust the OC mode other than regular "AUTO" here, but then i still see vcore voltages in CPUz higher than 1,4. BUT AMD master always reports a lower value under "voltage control (CPU voltage)". (I have latest bios 1201 installed btw)

I have 2 top exhausts fans above the VRM at least in my Fractal R6 case, will that help? I have no idea where to read the VRM temps, but after searching this out, it seems to be impossible on most motherboards?

Im gonna test out the offset settings with regular Auto settings. Im wondering if any of the VRM DIGI+ settings can help me out?

Yea the guide explains that. But 24/7 on 1,35 and some gaming boosting beyond that could be fine on the long term maybe?

Hmm didn't take a picture of the CPU before assembling the AIO.

Is it possible to check out the VRM temps via software? If not, how? Need a laser infrared tempmonitor?

Aida 65 shows the temps on mine.

Back