• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 4350: the definitive build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
The time has finally come for my very first FX build :clap:

At the heart of this system will be an AMD FX 4350 CPU.

s-l400.jpg

Additional specs for this build include parts from one of my decommissioned 960T rigs.

-CoolerMaster quiet, padded case
-Intel 3500 series 80GB SSD
-Antec NeoPower 650W Blue power supply
-8GB Kit of Corsair XMS3 (Or 8GB kit of G.Skill Ripjaws) 1600Mhz, with timings 7-8-7-20
-Fractal Designs 360MM liquid cooler
-2GB Nvidia Video Card
-Biostar TA970 Mainboard (4+1 Power phase, not the best case scenario nor the wort case)

CPU should be here within the week and we will jump right in at that point!

-I'm going to set an ambitious goal of 5.0Ghz but I will still be happy with something like 4.5-4.7 or thereabouts.

I chose the quad core because I simply lack the hardware capability to run a power hungry 8350/8370. I figure we might be able to lean a little harder on the 4350 and I don't have to worry about other parts going boom.

More pictures and updates to follow!

coolermaster case - Copy.png
case and mainboard - Copy.png
power supply - Copy.png

Last edited:
Should be cool to see!

Be careful on that psu...JG didnt rate it high at all... :(
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=117

Good to know, but I've had this PSU for ages, and its been old faithful to me. Originally, this came out of my very first hexacore build back in 2012 and it's been chugging along ever since. I wonder what pulls more power: A x6 thuban @ 4ghz or an x4 FX4350 @ 4.5ghz?

I also have a spare Thermaltake PSU that we can throw in the mix as well...

"Ive had it for ages"..even more reason to keep an eye out. ;)

If things get rough on load while overclocked, I know where I would look!

I would be more worried with a 4+1 motherboard if you're trying for high overclocks, only reason i pushed my 4300 to 5.2ghz is because i have a solid Asus 6+2. Don't skimp on that VRM fan :D

At least it has VRM heatsinks. Motherboard get's an OK rating for use with the FX chips but I know it's a weak point. especially if I lean on it real hard.

biostar.png

I skimmed the JG review on your PSU. I blew up my Seasonic S12-650 years ago overclocking a C2D & a pair of Xfired video cards. When it POPPED & released the magic smoke nothing else in the system was harmed. Oh, and it was still under its 3 year warranty & I RMA'ed it for a replacement. I would hope yours wouldn't take any other components out if you release the magic smoke. I know you're just playing, but how much do you enjoy your toys? Something to consider. :)

At least it has VRM heatsinks. Motherboard get's an OK rating for use with the FX chips but I know it's a weak point. especially if I lean on it real hard.

View attachment 203862

I have a GA-880GA-UD3H MB, and it did not have heatsinks on the mosfets, so I got these http://enzotechnology.com/mos_c10.htm. I'm running a Phenom II 1090T.

I have 5 FX systems all using FX-8350
The MB's are
1 GA-990FXA-UD5 rev 1.x|2 GA-990FXA-UD5 rev 3.0|1 GA-990FXA-UD5 R5 rev 1.0|1 Sabertooth 990FX rev 1.0
These MB's have been rock solid and had no problems with them.

Yeah, The FX generation of CPU's is actually what drove me into the forums. They were just brutal on inferior motherboards.

Phase one is complete: I have successfully "liberated" the Biostar TA970 mainboard from it's grave as part of an old 960T system.

Sorry about the poor quality pictures, this is the best I could do.

1.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
13.JPG

See the online album here:
https://ibb.co/album/mPN0gF

Last edited:
I started dismantling my other AMD rig, installed the 650w power supply so we are ready to build from here!

A few pictures of progress and other parts I'll be using:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Back