• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling for I9 9900K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quocphu1905

I am planning on a PC with a 9900K and Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula. I want to cool the CPU and the mosfets at the same time with a 240mm rad. I am wondering whether they would be sufficient for such monstrous components so i hope you guys can help me out.I'm using the thermaltake tower 900 case. Thank you very much.

It would work, but temperatures wouldnt be ideal. I'd use 3x120mm worth of radiator for that setup.

My original idea is to use a 480mm for the gpus and 240 for CPU and mosfets.Now i Think about 2x 360mm Should do it, should

Well, I'm using a dual 2080 ti set up and i will cool them using the 480 mm rad, while the 9900k and the mosfets will be cooled by the 240 mm rad.Now you said that, i think i should use 2 x 360mm rad instead of the combo above, shouldn't i?

Are you doing dual loops or single loop? Your case appears capable of housing dual 480mm radiators from a quick glance. Why not do that with a single loop? Sure they cost a bit more, but not compared to the cost of a 9900k and two 2080Tis. If you're going to custom cool hardware that nice, might as well spend a few extra bucks on rads. Just my two cents.

If we're going 120mm per 100W, well each GPU is nearly 300W, and 250W for a 9900k @ 5.0 GHz. So 850W is what you need to cool (of course this is given a max CPU + max GPU workload, not too realistic, but its nice to have the headroom). Could the 480+240 do it, yeah but more would be better.

Actually i plan a dual loop with 2x 480mm. Howerver i was afraid that those enormous rad would obscure my HDD racks, as i use 2 Seagate Barracuda HDDs.But after some researches on Google i found out it would not be an issue after all so, yeah, I'm doing a dual 480mm rad loop,no problem.

Hrm, I think a single loop would actually be better for the GPUs, dual better for the CPU. As EarthDog mentioned, a 360mm really should cover the CPU, but the GPUs could benefit from the extra 120mm of rad in addition to the 480mm. I would at least make sure you had a beefy rad for the GPU loop. What radiators are you planning to use?

I'm planning to use the top of the line EKWB 480mm rads.I still want to stick to the dual loop, as it will look cool with the tower 900, though

What would looks have to do with a dual loop? Outside of some tubing routing, it's all the same. Personally, I would run it all single. I mean you aren't trying to break records, this is a gaming machine. I wouldn't add unnecessary complications, personally.

That said, we can help either way! :)

Sounds like a pretty epic system you are planning.

The temp pay off for separate loops will be negligible.

One loop would be easier and less involved, if this is your first loop I highly recommend keeping as straight forward as possible

Good luck, and please share some pics of the build

240mm rad is not enough for 9900K even at stock. Run anything with AVX and you will see 95°C+. What more, even 360mm rad can barely handle these processors under full load. It's not a matter of heat exchange surface but the fact that the CPU is generating a lot of heat on a really small die surface. For example coolers designed for 300W+ TDP can barely keep it below 100°C when 9900K@5GHz has up to 250W. Recently I was talking with Noctua and they see exactly the same on their products, and they have the best air cooling solutions on the market with some coolers designed for 350W+ that can handle 16 core+ processors.
VRM don't need any cooling on higher ASUS boards. On the other hand, adding it to the loop with a CPU shouldn't cause significantly higher CPU temps.

Back