• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA Control Panel - not launching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hilarious

Registered
Since Windows 1903 was (clean) installed on my pc several months ago, Nvidia Control panel stopped working (it was working fine with Windows 1809).
I assumed that it would fix itself with subsequent MS and/or GeForce updates but it hasn't.

I am currently running the latest Win 1903 and GeForce driver 431.60
I always do clean install when updating the GeForce driver.

When I try launching NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking the mouse, I get the following message

Attachments

• abc.PNG
    abc.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 165
Try uninstalling using DDU and manually installing the drivers.

I have 1903 (amd a slightly older driver) and it works.

I was afraid of that! I also thought about uninstalling the driver completely (including Registry entries) and re-installing....

However, I have the system working pretty much perfectly atm with the exception of the above. This is a bit of a deal as I am running DP1.2 4k 60Hz and any small glitch in SW has caused issues in the past, such as random video drop outs (black screen for 2-3 seconds) which is quite annoying while gaming.

Just tried the latest driver (436.02)... all good.

If you are getting weird black screen issues, it sounds like the card may be going bad as that is one of the symptoms of these cards. They seem to have had an early batch get out that wasn't great and more than a normal amount failed.

I always do clean install when updating the GeForce driver.
Just a point for clarity here. The clean install function is just about settings within NVCP. It doesn't do a driver wipe, etc... that is DDU.

I did a complete uninstall of Nvidia drivers including deleting all Nvidia Registry keys.
Downloaded GeForce Experience and ran it.

I now have the latest 436.02 driver installed but still have the same problem.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Just a point for clarity here. The clean install function is just about settings within NVCP. It doesn't do a driver wipe, etc... that is DDU.

Yes you are correct. I meant to say I select "Custom install".

Again for clarity, when you say a complete uninstall, does that mean you used an application like DDU to do it?

Why did you DL Geforce Experience? Did you mean the driver package?

From here.........https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/150300

Let's talk in the same terms so we know any instruction given was followed. :)

Well...

1. DDU does that for you. ;)
2. Just DL the drivers and do not let GFE look for and install it. GFE is a crutch for noobs. Unless you need it, just get the drivers and don't install GFE.

Ok. I fixed the problem with Nvidia Control Panel not launching.

Goto Control Panel>Power Options>Choose what the power buttons do>Change settings that are currently unavailable>[untick] Turn on fast start-up (recommended). Restart pc.

Also, I haven't experienced any more Black screens.....

Attachments

• Capture002.PNG
    Capture002.PNG
    42.5 KB · Views: 39
Back