• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Intel vs AMD.... Which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Hey... while I've been an Intel nut for years... since oh XP days, AMD has impressed me with their new CPU line.

Currently got a i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz (could do more but decided to keep it cooler).

That being said about to do a huge amount of encoding of video files and figured might be a good time to upgrade my PC. Question is.... what is a good CPU without breaking the bank? Been out of the game for a bit and ideally order this maybe this week if I plan on upgrading here.

I do game, some video encoding and ideally getting back into 3D rendering eventually. So ideally more cores will be nice... but also higher clock to help out with those fewer core games. I know Intel still tops for gaming with a slight lead still and AMD is catching up but AMD has PCI-E 4.0 on some newer boards (no clue on price) so its more of a future proofing thing maybe.

My CPU/Board was purchased back in August/Sept of 2016. So I've had it for a few years ;)

Last edited:
Depending on number of cores you'd want, a 3900x gives you 12c/24t for around $500. A 3700x/3800x is 8/16 for around the upper 200s

Depending on number of cores you'd want, a 3900x gives you 12c/24t for around $500. A 3700x/3800x is 8/16 for around the upper 200s

3900x (12/24) seems to compete with the 9900k (8/16) and the 3700x/3800x (8/16) competes with the 9700k (8/8).

Guess looking for bang for buck but also... long term performance. Guess that being said... Probably the 3700x vs 9700k in terms of looking at, decent price point.

9700k takes it for gaming performance and can OC... I know Intel and know can OC it to around 5-5.2Ghz roughly. The 3700x well not sure so new to these Ryzen CPU's so I really don't know :), seems like there is an automatic OC that can be done... 3800x might clock slightly higher but not guaranteed for the extra price.

Guess really curious on the Ryzen processors... are they a good stable OCable product on all cores? I got a nice AOI cooler i'll be using (H115i Pro) so not worried about temps.

Guess really looking at it really interested in trying out these Ryzen CPU's.... I'll move this discussion over there now and think on it a bit more if I decide to pull a trigger.

Last edited:
My 3800x is running 4.4 ghz all core on 1.256vcore. As i do not need to push it faster at the moment, will do 4.55ghz stable though. Beats 9900k in everything so far production wise cinebench r20, premier, blender, photoshop is about equal. I mostly use it for gaming and the all core oc at 4.4 is equal to a 9900k at 5ghz. Ryzen has better ipc then intel now just lower speed so they actually even out for the most part and they are easier on your wallet.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

A 9700k is only 8 core and no extra threads. Where the equal priced 3800x is 8 core 16 threads. For games around the 2015 or so era, the intel wins. 2019 and 2020 aaa games they are neck and neck, production amd wins hands down.

Yeah got mine to run whats in my sig pretty reliability zero issues. I can crank it up to 4.4 or even 4.5Ghz for gaming but encoding it fails in the 10-30min mark typically. Either case VERY happy with the performance improvement with it, its rock solid and while might not run as cool as the Intel I had when idling (i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz) but, when running full tilt actually runs very close to the same temperature.

If you are a bit lenient in your budget then you can buy this:
AMD FX-6300

or this
AMD FX-8350

These 2 would pump life into your 2016 motherboard And I believe that the motherboards are more optimized for these processors than any other.

Thread is old, new CPU/MoBo combo has been bought already, and a FX would not fit in anyway on a motherboard with an Intel chipset.

Firstly, old thread with the OP saying it's resolved the last post....(marked solved now!) :thup:

Second......The 3000 series was the first to be on par or better than Intel. 5000 series just went past them, period, really. Rocket Lake came out to even things out though they are short in core/thread count. Where AMD rules is core/thread count (which matters little to many over 8c/16t). That said, an 8c-10c/16-20t CPU should last for quite a while regardless. I'm not holding my breath for games to quickly utilize that many cores and threads. Maybe in a few+ years.

AMD drivers, Fine Wine was proven MEH (Mostly marketing). There may be some titles you get a significant boost (talking over 5%), but the rest generally don't get much... at least not much more than Nvidia improvements over time. As a great rap group said, "don't believe the hype". Your BIOS has nothing to do with the 'fine wine' (Mad Dog 20/20 ;p), btw. You install drivers, not a new BIOS for the video card.

In a nutshell, c/t the same, AMD and Intel will both last a long time. You upgraded from a 4c/4t part to a 12c/24t part. I'm sure you'll want to upgrade from that CPU before even Intel's 10c/20t CPU would hold you back. When considering Intel's locked CPUs, the price to performance ratio tends to be better in some cases. :thup:

When I buy a CPU I use it for years. I had a 3570k that right up until my 3900x. I also feel like the 3900x will age better with gaming with nearly identical IPC and more cores. When next-gen games come out that use more threads I can see the 3900x pulling ahead as well. Also AMD's "Fine Wine" drivers are true. After a BIOS update my framerates jumped significantly in the titles that matter the most to me. It was weird to go AMD after planning intel for so long, but I honestly am really happy with my decision.

In a nutshell, c/t the same, AMD and Intel will both last a long time. You upgraded from a 4c/4t part to a 12c/24t part. I'm sure you'll want to upgrade from that CPU before even Intel's 10c/20t CPU would hold you back. When considering Intel's locked CPUs, the price to performance ratio tends to be better in some cases. :thup:

I had a 3900X rig, but the 12C/24C wasn't really useful. So I sold it and the mobo for a bag of cash, and for $210 bought an i5-10400 and mobo. After all is said and done, gaming framerates the same and I have $300 for a down payment on an RTX GPU when I get the chance.

I have done so much research on the two CPUs and finally, I decided to buy the 3700X for a certain time before going to the 12th gen intel or the next 5000 AMD. Why did I buy this compared to i5 11600 when I have the opportunity? This is the processor we need when it comes to an overall comparison. We would want to do many things in a long time without worrying about the electric bills, prolonged heat OC, fast production, etc. When playing games more than 100fps it is like why would you need to watch a movie on such frame rates compared to the best you have without noticing the difference? With the R7 3700X as far the memory it can handle stated up to 3200MHz, I have no problem with my current 4333MHz RAM on the auto OC PBO 4.42GHz and I was using intel at 5.0GHz, and this AMD feels better when it comes to video rendering as you know more CPU and thread has a benefit on production. I took 10mnt rendering time for 02:20:00 length FHD video; on gaming, there was no lagging issue when I tested it with ultra settings on GTX GPU

I have done so much research on the two CPUs and finally, I decided to buy the 3700X for a certain time before going to the 12th gen intel or the next 5000 AMD. Why did I buy this compared to i5 11600 when I have the opportunity? This is the processor we need when it comes to an overall comparison. We would want to do many things in a long time without worrying about the electric bills, prolonged heat OC, fast production, etc. When playing games more than 100fps it is like why would you need to watch a movie on such frame rates compared to the best you have without noticing the difference? With the R7 3700X as far the memory it can handle stated up to 3200MHz, I have no problem with my current 4333MHz RAM on the auto OC PBO 4.42GHz and I was using intel at 5.0GHz, and this AMD feels better when it comes to video rendering as you know more CPU and thread has a benefit on production. I took 10mnt rendering time for 02:20:00 length FHD video; on gaming, there was no lagging issue when I tested it with ultra settings on GTX GPU

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-22 013550.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-22 013550.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2021-12-22 063335 (1).jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-22 063335 (1).jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 5
well I am used Intel i3 and i5 as well as Ryzen 5 Ryzen 7 so according to my view Ryzen processor are lead now a days I want to prefer Ryzen

well I am used Intel i3 and i5 as well as Ryzen 5 Ryzen 7 so according to my view Ryzen processor are lead now a days I want to prefer Ryzen
You're about 2-1/2 months behind the curve as the 12th gen Intel Alder Lake is currently in the lead.

Back