• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z390m

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Thinking of picking up this board as I'm still sitting on my old Gen4 4790K and I found this one for 119 bucks at a local shop.

Any reason why I wouldn't? Are the Gen 10s already out? I know that Gen 8 and Gen 9 could run on the same motherboards. Any word on 10? I mean it'll probably take me a few months to finish this build. But does anyone have any experience with this board?

I could be wrong but I think the only gen 10s that are out are for the mobile platform. From what I've been reading over on Overclockers.net, Intel is still having major problems with the 10nm platform roll out on the mobile side. High power draw and throttling issues.

Last edited:
Ordered this board. It was cheap and it just ticked a lot of boxes for me.

Also picked up 16GB of RAM while I was at it... Still a bit torn on a CPU... but I'm in no big rush.

That board should do ya'.

Yeah! Thanks for your help! Seemed like a great board for a great price. I'm not trying to do anything too fancy with it.

Just out of curiosity... Why'd you go with the AMD?

I was an AMD fanboy for many years but they fell so far behind the performance curve in about 2012 that I switched over to Intel from about 2014 to 2018/2019 when the AMD Ryzen series debuted. Although it can be argued that Intel's top chips still give a slight advantage in gaming it cannot be argued that they are still superior when it comes to general purpose computing power. Ryzen gives you more total computing power and for less money at each market niche. So when Ryzen came out I had a good reason to go back to my first love. For quite a few years Intel was top dog but they have fallen behind AMD now. Never thought I'd see the day. In desktop processors, Intel is struggling to market a 10nm desktop chip whereas AMD is already on 7nm.

I was an AMD fanboy for many years but they fell so far behind the performance curve in about 2012 that I switched over to Intel from about 2014 to 2018/2019 when the AMD Ryzen series debuted. Although it can be argued that Intel's top chips still give a slight advantage in gaming it cannot be argued that they are still superior when it comes to general purpose computing power. Ryzen gives you more total computing power and for less money at each market niche. So when Ryzen came out I had a good reason to go back to my first love. For quite a few years Intel was top dog but they have fallen behind AMD now. Never thought I'd see the day. In desktop processors, Intel is struggling to market a 10nm desktop chip whereas AMD is already on 7nm.

Wow... :O

Maybe I should've looked into AMD this time... but I got screwed so hard the last time I used one of their chips, I swore to myself "Never again!"

I think I bought an E6400 back in 2006 and never looked back. I've had probably a half a dozen or more intel CPUs since then.

Only thing about AMD is that I don't understnad their numbering system... at all. It just seems like they pull the CPU names out of a random number generator or something. :D

Wow... :O

Maybe I should've looked into AMD this time... but I got screwed so hard the last time I used one of their chips, I swore to myself "Never again!"

I think I bought an E6400 back in 2006 and never looked back. I've had probably a half a dozen or more intel CPUs since then.

Only thing about AMD is that I don't understnad their numbering system... at all. It just seems like they pull the CPU names out of a random number generator or something. :D

what an unusual quote from an Intel user. I guess for desktop it is fairly straightforward, but once you start mixing 10875H, 10980HK, 1065G7, 10710U, 10510Y, well, I'll be impressed if you can make heads or tails of all that.

Really, it's what you are used to as far as the nomenclature goes. AMD is no more or less confusing than Intel in that regard. With either one, you have to do a little research to understand what's what and not assume consistency.

It's like any discipline or any hobby. You have to put time into it to understand what's going on so you can make good choices.

Back