• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Fine tuning on Corsair LPX 4600 - Update of sorts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

holdyn

Here's how it stands as of right this mooment

MSI MEG X570 ACE (went for the faster pCie lanes)
Ryzen 7 3700x - appeared to perform better than 3800 and 39's not in the budget
Samsung Evo 850??? 250gb SSD its an older drive going to the Nvme soon. plus another 6TB roughly spread over 4 drives of "stuff"
Shark Systems 1000w auto-switching power supply
Phantek case
EVGA GTX 1060 6gb SSC
not running any high refresh or even 1440 monitors yet need to get memory straightened out first.
And the memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 4600mhz ddr4 CMK16GX4M2K4600C19

Until tonight anytime I tried to push it past 2133mhz I would fail post, memory error. XMP does not work at all for these sticks on this board. I had made a mistake these sticks are njot on the compatibility list. But in my defense they arent really on ANY lists. Or werent when I started. I read the specs on the X570 ACE and it said rated for up to 5000mhz and beyond. Yes I know salesmen, but with the speed and timings lining up I went for it and I got a killer deal unopened. So tonight after a million tries I went back to the Memory Try It! in the bios and magically it completed post and is up and going at 4133mhz. but I know the timings are off due to horrid latency 74ns or close.

My question is this should I try and mess with the timings with my I guess incompatible sticks and risk being back at square 2133? And if so safest way to reduce the overall latency safely. or should I just offload the corsair and go with a more tried and true set, gskill 3600? I was trying to future proof my system for at least a few months in making this purchase, plus it was my first major upgrade in a very long time. heres what I have currently.

Corsair calls for Tested Latency
timing 19-26-26-46 voltage at 1.5 for 4600mhz
SPD Latency 15-15-15-36 voltage at 1.2 for 2133

Im running 18-22-22-42 with voltage capped at 1.41v to keep the board from tripping a voltage limit (the cause I think for the XMP failing, 1.51v)
any help here or even a step by step would help. I tried the ram calc with no luck. I apparently couldnt figure it out because it kept telling me not supported...
Thank in advance.

Personally, if you can off-load them and get most of your money back, I would. Pick up a set of these G.Skill's for $95 and call it a day. I have the 3200GB versions (only $5 cheaper ATM) and they OC well past 3600 without issue, so that could be an option too.

Just some comments.
How you can set the memory highly depends on used memory chips. You can check that using Thaiphoon burner or sometimes AIDA64 or CPU-Z will tell you that or can find in BIOS/memory module details. If you have Samsung then don't count on a much higher memory clock. If you have Hynix or Micron/Spectek then it can go up to 5000... as long as the memory controller can make it and in most cases, it won't pass 4800. In the end, ~3600 with IF 1:1 will give you about the same results as ~4600-4800 IF 1:2 so it's more like a matter if you can set it and if you want that higher clock.

Optimal without problems is something like DDR4-3600 as Blaylock already said. It doesn't really matter if you get CL16 or CL18 memory as the difference will be anything between 0-1% in games. Simply not worth the money difference. It's better to get a 2x16GB kit in this case as you may find some applications that will use more than 16GB RAM (multiple web browser tabs, game and additional soft at once usually go close to 16GB).

Back