• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 4790 non k info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PtSp86

Registered
Hi, i own a 4790 nonk for a while... Considering delid due to high temps (core 0/1 reach 100 celc), but I found out that the problem with throttling resumes to unregulated turbo boost voltages. I'm using the Intel tool to undervolt and I managed to make it stable with 90 degrees tops under full load, no throttling. I'm here to ask if anyone has to right values for the amperage and so for the stock voltages of this cpu, specially for the turbo boost. Thanks in advance

1. What are you cooling the CPU with?

2. Have you tried redoing the thermal paste and reseating the Cooler?

3. What case do you have and tell us about fans and ventilation.

4. What are your ambient temps? You should not be getting those kind of temps with a non overclocked 4790 unless cooling and case ventilation are subpar or ambient temps are extremely high. Normally, there is no need to delid a non k 4th gen CPU running at stock voltages.

1. What are you cooling the CPU with?

2. Have you tried redoing the thermal paste and reseating the Cooler?

3. What case do you have and tell us about fans and ventilation.

4. What are your ambient temps? You should not be getting those kind of temps with a non overclocked 4790 unless cooling and case ventilation are subpar or ambient temps are extremely high. Normally, there is no need to delid a non k 4th gen CPU running at stock voltages.
Hi,
1- Hyper 212 + Noctua 1850rpm
2- Yes, I did. Using Noctua Compound, and yes i've reseated properly
3- Corsair C70 vengeance
4- Ambient temp around 25°

I've tested and it seems that the vrm is feeding too much voltage into the turbo boost. With it off, I have tops 70° playing for example pubg. Which is good since its cpu intensive, but with performance compromised.. so installed intel oc tool, and tweaked a bit and no throttling, also 90 degrees tops under heavy stress test

Have you installed the latest bios for your motherboard or did this issue present after installing an updated bios? How long has this problem manifested itself? Has it always been this way? What is your motherboard?

Have you installed the latest bios for your motherboard or did this issue present after installing an updated bios? How long has this problem manifested itself? Has it always been this way? What is your motherboard?
Sort of.. I've bought the CPU a year ago, used condition. From a 4690.
The mb is an h97 plus from Asus which is older. Power supply rm750 from Corsair. Hwmonitor seems to be ok with the voltage 5/3.3/12.

So, has this CPU been running hot like this ever sense you purchased it? "No issue since the update?" Do you mean no issues excepting high CPU temps?

So, has this CPU been running hot like this ever sense you purchased it? "No issue since the update?" Do you mean no issues excepting high CPU temps?
Bios was at latest with the previous cpu. Lately only.. I strated to pay attention to the temps because I was having huge bottleneck with 1070 on. Guess this cpu can handle a 1070

Okay, that helps eliminate some things.

Makes me think the current bios has a bug that affects the 4790 but no the 4690 or a problem has developed with the power regulation components of the motherboard. I guess I would try rolling back the bios.

Okay, that helps eliminate some things.

Makes me think the current bios has a bug that affects the 4790 but no the 4690 or a problem has developed with the power regulation components of the motherboard. I guess I would try rolling back the bios.
Do you think? Heard that these chips are normally hot.. and since it has been 6 years of lifetime... And the bios is also pretty old
I just want to know the normal values that's all, need to establish some ground if you know what I mean

Last edited:
The 3rd through 7th generation Intel i5's and i7's did run hotter than their predecessors because Intel stopped using solder under the lid and went to cheap non metallic TIM but I still think your temps are higher than they should be for a non-overclocked 4th gen i7.

When your bios settings are at default, how many volts are the cores pulling when turboing? I cannot tell you what it should be but maybe someone else who has a fourth generation i7 can check their's.

Have you played with LLC any in the bios or do you have that setting available?

The 3rd through 7th generation Intel i5's and i7's did run hotter than their predecessors because Intel stopped using solder under the lid and went to cheap non metallic TIM but I still think your temps are higher than they should be for a non-overclocked 4th gen i7.

When your bios settings are at default, how many volts are the cores pulling when turboing? I cannot tell you what it should be but maybe someone else who has a fourth generation i7 can check their's.

Have you played with LLC any in the bios or do you have that setting available?
Nope.. only with intel oc tool. Have the vcore with 1.002 I think

So I take it you don't have much experience in manipulating the bios values manually from within bios itself.

So I take it you don't have much experience in manipulating the bios values manually from within bios itself.
Nope not really. Going to delid. Think it's the tim. If doesn't work I can afford a new setup.

Exhaust

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_152210.jpg
    IMG_20200529_152210.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 117
I have a friend that has a 3770k that ran hot no matter what, even at stock settings. He delidded and used liquid metal ultra under ihs and now it stays around 80c even at 5ghz and 1.5v. I will note that I have never gained much from delidding any of my cpu's, but do gain about 5c usually

I have a friend that has a 3770k that ran hot no matter what, even at stock settings. He delidded and used liquid metal ultra under ihs and now it stays around 80c even at 5ghz and 1.5v. I will note that I have never gained much from delidding any of my cpu's, but do gain about 5c usually
Well, I'm inclined to buy a new setup.. trying something new like delid seems to be a good option even if doesn't work. I'm not using liquid metal, I have good noctua compound.. no point.. I'm not a regular gamer.

If you don't use LM under the IHS you will get very little out of delidding. You're doing essentially the same thing as Intel did at the factory with it.

I have delidded a number of CPUs and generally get 10-14c improvement out of it with LM.

Back