• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can someone help with the basics 10600k and ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS WIFI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigemike

I feel like first off I should of bought a prime series z490 board or a strix board.
But I have what I have and I haven't overclocked a pc for about 10 years

So I am an old rookie.
I built a second rig and it has a prime board and I can use the AI overclocking software seems ok and a decent gain

On the Tuf gaiming board, it doesn't work with the AI software.
I really need some direction. I started to watch some youtube videos and they quickly got over my head. I am old and it takes me more time to understand this stuff I guess. I feel like I went from highschool algebra to mit physics trying to sort this out.
Some people have shown these boards to ok to overclock with....

Anyways I am not looking for extreme results, I just want to get the overclocking bang for my buck on here.

Thanks for any help

System I am working on
ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS WIFI
INTEL i5 10600k
G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3200 TRZ RGB
COOLMASTER ML360R RGB WATER COOLER
EVGA RTX2070 SUPER XC DUAL 8GB
SEASONIC FOCUS+ 650W
LIANLI PC-O11D XL SILVER

Thanks everyone in advance for the help

bigemike, With the current generation of both Intel and AMD CPUs many overclockers are forsaking our craft because the performance yields in overclocking are very small or even negative for gamers. The newest chips are essentially pushed to the limit out of the factory and the power envelope algorithm caps tend to thwart you when you try to exceed them. Overclocking the new Intel and AMD CPUs typically means settling on an all core frequency that is less than max turbo boost and that can actually have a negative impact on performance since games thrive on high single core frequency rather than higher all core base clocks.

Having said that, if you are doing a lot of "creative" content computing such as video editing or number crunching kinds of tasks using software that is capable of using all processing cores efficiently, then you will see some benefit in overclocking the all core base frequency.

That is wierd, alot of things I read that this chip should hit around the 5ghz mark. It had some simple armory crate option and its showing that its at 4900ghz now, but I am not sure how it got it there.

It will be interesting to see if this view is shared... What I see on youtube people overclock these all the time...

Sometimes overclocking success on these newer chips can be misleading. When you put them under heavy load they can throttle down to stay within designed power draw and temp limits.

But yes, I think there may be a little more wiggle room for overclocking the new Intels than there is with the new AMDs. Just not what we are used to historically.

Hi bigemike!

First I just want to make it clear I am not an expert overclocker and have only done the 7700k and 10600k now and so far so good, hopefully this will help but feel free to ignore!

I have just got myself the same motherboard Asus TUF z490 Gaming Plus wifi and was looking for tips in overclocking when I came accross your posts. I gave up in looking for tips and just gave it a go with what I know and have managed to get a stable overclock at 5ghz, I didn't push it any further but I was well within the voltage limits and temps to push it further, and I have a Noctua NH-D15, so you might be able to go further with your watercooling. Hopefully you still have your cpu and motherboard and haven't changed it?

So the settings I have done are as follows:
In the bios basic mode I have set XMP to enabled.

Then in Advanced mode:

AI tweaker page:

-Asus multicore enhancement (I tested this in both disabled and enabled and neither made a huge difference as we will adjust everything manually so I've left it in enabled)
-CPU core ratio = sync all cores
-all core ratio limit = 50
I can't remember what it was called in the bios but the AVX offset was set to 0 instead of auto, to prevent it going under the max clock speed when all cores were at it.

-Digi+VRM: -CPU load-line calibration=lvl4

Internal CPU power management:
- cpu core/cache current limit= 255.75A
- Long duration package power limit=4095W

- CPU core/cache voltage = adaptive then -additional turbo mode cpu core voltage =1.355v

NOTE - when testing, the load line calibration at lvl 4 still allowed approximately .075v of varience to the 1.355volt setting. During testing the CPU was asking for a max of (core VID max) 1.426v, but it only ever was provided with a maximum of 1.28v which is well within safe limits.
Although the maximum lmits I set for wattages may seem extreme, this was just to prevent it throttling and the CPU when testing never went over 137.5 W which was the maximum HWInfo registered.
My maximum single core temperature was 82 degrees C, and as stated that was with a Noctua NH-D15 with the bios Silent profile for all case fans and CPU fans.

I could push the CPU further but my main aim was to get an all core overclock which was better than my last CPU. I had a 7700k overclocked to 4.9GHz.

I have been stress testing mine with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility with the readings being taken from HWInfo.

If yours isn't stable at the 1.355v (which as stated due to V droop will be around 1.28v) increase it by .005 each time, so 1.36v then 1.365v etc etc until it is stable. In HWInfo (or whatever software you use) check the VCore when you are finally stable and see what VCore is actually being applied, it varies what people are happy with but I probably would have gone upto around 1.36v actually being applied, which with the Vdroop would have meant setting the CPU core/cache voltage = adaptive then -additional turbo mode cpu core voltage to around 1.44v

If you wish to reduce the V droop then increase the load line calibration above 4, so start at 5 and test what it is like then move up to 6 etc etc. It gives the board less flexibility to deviate from the voltage you set.

If you wish to push your CPU further then set all core ratio to 51, test it and change the CPU core/cache voltage = adaptive then -additional turbo mode cpu core voltage = (whatever it was stable at with core ratio of 50), and again slowly increase the voltage by .005v until it is stable at 5.1. Then you can do the same for 5.2 and 5.3 and as long as you are happy with the level of voltage actually being applied and the temperatures at full core load under whatever stress test you use then you've done it.

Hope that helps and let me know how you get on,

Mark

Back