• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble starting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Had this problem 3 years ago, "seemed like" bad psu, so I replaced it with an EVGA SuperNOVA 550. Now having same type of behavior- starts to power up then halts, then tries again. If I turn off/back on the rocker switch on the psu then next power on attempt is normal.

I've never OC'd this machine, the motherboard is capable, but not with an i7 Xeon processor . Another bad psu seems unlikely, this rig has had very light usage in this time period. BIOS maybe loosing its mind?

Machine specs Tim?

Sounds like its the Main Desktop - Asrock 79 ext4 | Intel Xeon E2650 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Debian 10

Yes, the Asrock x79 with the Intel Xeon E2650 processor. The system has 2 new disks(Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004 4TB, Crucial BX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA), a DVD drive. 120mm fans for HSF and case exhaust and a GT 710 graphics card. I have the chipset fan unplugged, as it has a bad bearing.

hwMonitor reports the following:

Code:
CPUID HWMonitor Report
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mainboard Model		X79 Extreme4 (0x000003F6 - 0x2D13E080)

Hardware Monitors
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware monitor	Nuvoton NCT6776
	Voltage 0	0.92 Volts [0x73] (CPU VCORE)
	Voltage 1	1.84 Volts [0xE6] (VIN1)
	Voltage 2	3.33 Volts [0xD0] (AVCC)
	Voltage 3	3.31 Volts [0xCF] (3VCC)
	Voltage 4	1.01 Volts [0x7E] (VIN4)
	Voltage 5	1.69 Volts [0xD3] (VIN5)
	Voltage 6	0.84 Volts [0x69] (VIN6)
	Temperature 0	28°C (82°F) [0x1C] (SYSTIN)
	Temperature 1	32°C (88°F) [0x3F] (CPUTIN)
	Temperature 2	35°C (94°F) [0x45] (AUXTIN)
	Temperature 3	36°C (96°F) [0x24] (TMPIN3)
	Fan 3		1841 RPM [0x731] (AUXFANIN1)

bios-screeny.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like PSU... maybe motherboard caps (which I doubt) or a memory issue. Nothing else comes to mind...

If you have a multi-meter, check the 12V rail when pressing the power button. If your do have a DMM and it has a "Min\Max" function, use that. It will capture the lowest dip.

A bad board comes to mind... no way to test that, though. The supernova psu is meh, though you can try testing with another lsu to see if that is the issue.

Now having same type of behavior- starts to power up then halts, then tries again. If I turn off/back on the rocker switch on the psu then next power on attempt is normal.

I get that when vice-versa, after the PSU was unplugged. It honestly to me, looked like an issue with the caps being discharged.

It's a normal thing for late motherboards, a "double boot" after it's been unplugged.

Dead CMOS battery? Have you checked it? Probably not the issue, but may cause the system to come on, go off & come back on when powering up.

Before you posted above, I was going to say 'ram training issue'.

No errors are acceptable, unless they are in Hammer Test. That particular test is flawed so you can ignore it. Any other errors are unacceptable.

Pull some modules & test until you find the bad stick(s). Let us know if the main issue goes away, I suspect it will.

Dead CMOS battery? Have you checked it? Probably not the issue, but may cause the system to come on, go off & come back on when powering up.

Well the system on/off issue is no longer happening, since I removed the bad RAM module, but you know what- I'm noticing that the correct Time is not staying set correctly. This board is pushing 10 years of age, maybe the battery is bad after all. :eek:

You can verify that by making sure the date and time are correctly set in the BIOS, then shut down from there. Pull the plug... If it retains the time after the AC cord being unplugged for 5 minutes, then the battery is fine. If the time resets, definitely a dead bios battery. I say to do this @ bios level because then the OS \ network time won't be the cause of changes.

Or if you have a DMM, you'll see about 3 volts on a good battery. Glad you found your bad stick.

You can verify that by making sure the date and time are correctly set in the BIOS, then shut down from there. Pull the plug... If it retains the time after the AC cord being unplugged for 5 minutes, then the battery is fine. If the time resets, definitely a dead bios battery. I say to do this @ bios level because then the OS \ network time won't be the cause of changes.

Or if you have a DMM, you'll see about 3 volts on a good battery. Glad you found your bad stick.

I set the correct time in the BIOS, saved and power the system off before it booted into the OS. Unplugged & let it sit for 45 minutes. Powered up, entered the BIOS, time was still correct.."f10" then booted into OS which is Fedora 33. The time is exactly 3 hours ahead, so this time thing is OS related. I've set the time by hand several times, but the OS wants to use a time server 3 hours ahead. I'll take this matter up on the Fedoraforum, I'm sure it's a common issue...

Tim, whenever I have a dual boot machine (Windows and Linux) I have noticed that the time and date in Windows are changed whenever I boot into the Linux side, even when both were originally set to the same time. I think the two operating systems set the clock in a different way. And this phenomenon is well-documented on the net.

I just have Fedora on the system now, time still off however got a response on my post on fedoraforums and a simple command straightened out the time issue:

Code:
timedatectl set-timezone "America/Los_Angeles"

That was it. Must be a Fedora "thing", too shiny new and cutting edge, sometimes little things get neglected or broken along the way...:shrug:

Back