• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2070 super PPD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davekusa

I am getting between 1.5 and 2m PPD

I see this thread
https://folding.lar.systems/folding...t?gpu_model=tu104_geforce_rtx_2070_super_8218

So .... what gives? Am I supposed to run LINUX to get 2m+ PPD. Water cooled OC?
My GPU load shows 80% GPU-Z

config
next-unit-percentage 100
client-type advanced

I would really like to get my hands on a 3080. Some how everyone is getting one to review and 1000's of videos on line. OTTA stock everywhere?

My linux 2070 Super on p13428 are making ~3MM ppd each. The client name contains host info. 2x 2070S, PCIE x8 gen3, power limit 170, driver 450.66, Ubuntu 1804, client v7.6.21, core v13 cuda.

View attachment 212192

Pretty simple to setup FAH with gui in Ubuntu 18.04 desktop, but still a few thing need to be done with terminal commands. such as adding the driver ppa to get the most recent nvidia gpu drivers, enabling nvidia gpu overclocking/fan control and setting the gpu power limits. also the openCl package.

Getting FAH running in linux was something that I tried to do for literally years. My main advice is to go slow, read guides, and don't, for the love of satan, use a GUI installer. Yes, only having the term for input is scary but it's WAY easier to not have to deal with the hurdles havinga GUI running puts up to getting the NVDA drivers/CUDA running. There are plenty of guides for this online if you google.

Good luck and let us know if you need help with anything--the PPD improvements are well worth it if its a dedicated rig, and its a great feeling of accomplishment and improved overall computer literacy if you make it through; I know I feel much better about navigating through stuff in linux, now.

Happy Thanksgiving!

My folding farm is Ubuntu desktop with gui, mostly v18.04 LTS. should be able to get a fresh install folding on nvidia cards in about an hour (or less) on a small ssd with only a few terminal commands. A lot simpler to install FAH now that the nvidia drivers are in a ppa past few years.

My folding farm is Ubuntu desktop with gui, mostly v18.04 LTS. should be able to get a fresh install folding on nvidia cards in about an hour (or less) on a small ssd with only a few terminal commands. A lot simpler to install FAH now that the nvidia drivers are in a ppa past few years.

Hayes,

Would you mind giving more info please, possibly an outline guide?
I have a video card in this system that is not being utilized at this time.
Mint 20 - going to have to change OS as mint 20 does not support the Client control.
I asked my daughter to put together a descent machine: (while I was sick with covid for 3 weeks)
I got the following:
MSI B450 mobo, AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6 core - 12 thd processor, EVGA RTX2050 video
Am I going to have to breakdown and get a copy of windows?

I have also resurrected this system, last night.
4x AMD 12Cores 6168
1x H8QGL-lF+
4x modded CM212+
16x 1GB 1333 ddr3 ECC server ram
1x <160GB SATA
1x Antec 1200W PSU
using Mint 18 on it.
F@H controls works on mint18 but not mint20.
Had it sold years ago but the buyer backed out.
then it got put in storage and forgotten :eek:

Last edited:
Mark,

Think I had similar issue with Ubuntu 20.04 / FAHControl v7.5.1 and went back to U1804. Does the new FAHControl v7.6.21 work with Mint 20?

Another option would be to create FAH config with desired settings on a different host and copy the config file to the new host. Ubuntu location for the config file is etc/fahclient.
On fresh installs, I create a "folding" folder, then copy the FAH installation, config and notes files from a shared network location or thumb drive.

I have FAH on my linux hosts configured for remote access and use FAHControl on a windows notebook to remotely monitor/configure my dedicated linux hosts, but still helpful to have local copy FAHControl working on the linux host(s).

Did you install the nvidia driver ppa, nvidia driver and opencl packages? Not sure if any nvidia drivers are included with Mint installation media, but Ubuntu 18 desktop does include some nvidia drivers, although the driver ppa is needed for the newest drivers. Also not sure the driver ppa will work with Mint, but suspect they are compatible.

My notes are several years old, but will copy some info that may help.

# install nvidia driver PPA
# sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
# update the software list
# use software & updates - additional drivers to install newest nvidia driver
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

# reboot
# view gpu info in terminal
nvidia-smi

# install opencl index detection
sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev --fix-missing

# overclocking
# create xorg with coolbits for all gpus
# reboot after creating xorg
sudo nvidia-xconfig -a --enable-all-gpus --cool-bits=28

Then you can use the software "nvidia X server settings" to manually adjust gpu fans, gpu clock, and memory clock.
A script can be made to adjust those settings at startup.

# set gpu power limits
# Power limits can be set in terminal window, but must be set again after reboot.
# enable setting
sudo nvidia-smi --persistence-mode=1
# set gpu 0 with power limit 150
sudo nvidia-smi -i 0 --power-limit=150
# set gpu 1 with power limit 130
sudo nvidia-smi -i 1 --power-limit=130

#combined cmds: enable setting, set gpu 0 with power limit 150, set gpu 1 with power limit 130
sudo nvidia-smi --persistence-mode=1 && sudo nvidia-smi -i 0 --power-limit=150 && sudo nvidia-smi -i 1 --power-limit=130

Last edited:
I have also resurrected this system, last night.
4x AMD 12Cores 6168
1x H8QGL-lF+
4x modded CM212+
16x 1GB 1333 ddr3 ECC server ram
1x <160GB SATA
1x Antec 1200W PSU
using Mint 18 on it.
F@H controls works on mint18 but not mint20.
Had it sold years ago but the buyer backed out.
then it got put in storage and forgotten :eek:

Mark, just for grins, check out this post: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations :D:comp:
I have the H8QGi-F MB X 2

Dave, I've had little to no problems installing F@H to Linux 14.04.02 LTS, but then again I was only running CPU folding on my 4P systems

Last edited:
Would definitely still advise 18.04 for folding, in general.

I just checked and my main folding machine is on 18.04.5. The HWE stack on 18.04 is supported until April 2023 for that release (LTS) so no worries about updates or security, etc.

Edit: I haven't tried it yet but you can also enable Livepatch on this release which should make update downtimes theoretically less of a pain.

Mark,
Suggest changing to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, which we know works with FAH and the nvidia drivers. I have been using the desktop version with minimal install. Should work fine on both your rigs. If you want dual boot, install windows first, then Ubuntu. During the Ubuntu installation, there will be an option to adjust the partition size. On a 120GB SSD, I have been using about 50GB for Ubuntu, but the default is even less.

Finally figured it out. Mint18 different version than on my other machines. the standard version would not install on this machine - kernal panic during install.

System: Host: lbr Kernel: 4.19.0-12-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: LMDE 4 Debbie
base: Debian 10.2 buster
Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: Micro-Star model: B450 GAMING PLUS MAX (MS-7B86) v: 3.0
serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: H.70 date: 06/17/2020
CPU: Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen
L2 cache: 3072 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 91203
Speed: 4057 MHz min/max: 2200/3800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 4065 2: 4065 3: 4065
4: 4065 5: 4065 6: 4065 7: 4065 8: 4065 9: 4065 10: 4065 11: 4065 12: 4065
Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA vendor: eVga.com. driver: nvidia v: 450.66 bus ID: 26:00.0
chip ID: 10de:1f06
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa alternate: nv
resolution: 4096x2160~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.66

Still have to figure this problem out: some work but the cpu temp will not show up: Psensor, lm-sensors installed
Sensors: Message: No sensors data was found. Is sensors configured?

Now to attempt to duplicate it on another but older machine...sensors work on those 2....

Last edited:
Back