• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The highest end builds so far ?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aliitp

Registered
Hi Guys,

Ive been building high end desktops every now and then and would just like to know what is the latest and highest end builds ATM coming from my 5+ years ago X99 and Intel 2620 Six-Core Build,

Am looking at this CPU since it seems like the highest end so far...
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-39...=1609777990&sprefix=ryzen,aps,349&sr=8-2&th=1

is it ?...

A small note here: my next build will be for: Video editing, 24x7 Mining and Gaming at some point...

It will also be liquid cooled...

As for the Motherboard: are those the best out there ?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...IAFVFA8B9289,13-144-259,13-119-104,13-119-109

And which to go with (prefer ASUS) ??...

My final two questions:-

Am hoping to have 3x 3080, is such a build feasible ATM, i know i might not benefit from them in gaming, but i will for mining, is 3x GPUs still a thing in 2021 ??...

Finally, am coming from my current custom liquid cooled build using Soft Tubing, and would like to have a great build like this and so little time to learn !

my question is there somewhere where i can design, build and view my rig online and get the parts shipped to me just ready to assemble ? (including the hard tubing) ?...

the best i could find is:
https://www.ekwb.com/solutions/custom-loop/
and
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/custom-cooling-configurator/

anything better to build and design a kick *** rig just like those youtube videos ?...

thanks,

3950x is mainstram, not close to high-end or HEDT.

MSI Godlike or Crosshair VIII Formula are the best for X570, sure. Why do you need such thing, I ask?

3x GPUs for gaming is not good anymore. If you get 3x 3080s, they'll be for mining.

O don't know of a place where you can do that.

There is a 5950x out now, which is still 16, 32 thread but the latest tech.

If you wanted crazy cores you can get a 64 core threadripper 3990x for $4000, but that is crazy. There are also 32 and 24 core threadrippers. That would be the best HEDT platform right now.

As for the 3080s. They would work for mining, you would need 2 power supplies I guess as they draw 350-450 watts depending on the card. For Anything else though, they would be useless. Even two card sli isn’t supported anymore, I think you need the 3090 to even have an sli bridge, but it doesn’t work well in many games anyway.

I would also be mindful that a 3080ti/super will be coming out on a month or so.

I would really look into the cost of buying those cards for mining. They are costing $800+ at the moment, and then factor in the power supplies needed it’s a lot of investment up front. Mite be ok whilst Bitcoin is soaring, but if it tanks so will all mining.

3950x is mainstram, not close to high-end or HEDT.

MSI Godlike or Crosshair VIII Formula are the best for X570, sure. Why do you need such thing, I ask?

3x GPUs for gaming is not good anymore. If you get 3x 3080s, they'll be for mining.

O don't know of a place where you can do that.

why not even close to high end ?!? how about 5950x, i believe they are pretty much high clocked, what wrong with these ?!...

i was hoping to have RGB in this build since my previous one didn't, it seems Crosshair VIII Formula doesnt support RGB !...

i need a high end desktop for pretty much all uses out there including video editting, mining and gaming... does the 3080s support LSI for those games that supports them or SLi is no longer there ?!...

thanks,

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

There is a 5950x out now, which is still 16, 32 thread but the latest tech.

If you wanted crazy cores you can get a 64 core threadripper 3990x for $4000, but that is crazy. There are also 32 and 24 core threadrippers. That would be the best HEDT platform right now.

As for the 3080s. They would work for mining, you would need 2 power supplies I guess as they draw 350-450 watts depending on the card. For Anything else though, they would be useless. Even two card sli isn’t supported anymore, I think you need the 3090 to even have an sli bridge, but it doesn’t work well in many games anyway.

I would also be mindful that a 3080ti/super will be coming out on a month or so.

I would really look into the cost of buying those cards for mining. They are costing $800+ at the moment, and then factor in the power supplies needed it’s a lot of investment up front. Mite be ok whilst Bitcoin is soaring, but if it tanks so will all mining.

thanks i didnt know that 5950x exists !...

thanks i didnt know 3080 Ti will be released soon !...

i might have acquired 3x 3080s, will see about that :D

i got a seasonic 1200w PSU, will that be enough for this build ?... (5950x + 3x 3080s)...

thanks,

It's not close to high-end because of the 5950X. I mean, technically it is high-end, but there are newer, better (IPC and core/thread count) processors out. That said, this is only the mainstream platform... there is still the HEDT/Threadripper platform that offers more cores/threads....so you're asking about highest end builds, but stuck in the mainstream platform. ;)

The Crosshair VIII Formula supports RGBs..... there are integrated RGBs on the board and there are headers for attaching more (four more I believe).

Mining isn't really an HEDT function. Multi-GPU is still supported in some titles, but the efficiency/scaling is generally terrible with 3 GPUs... it's not great with two... Single big GPU for gaming for sure.

This just feels like spending cash to spend it, honestly....... and that's OK! But you don't "need" 3x GPUs and such for (most of) what you are planning with the machine.

The 1.2KW PSU should be fine for that build.... where you may run into issues is with finding 9 8-pin PCIe connectors for the GPUs. Many of these take 3x 8-pin PCIe connectors....

Last edited:
I was just thinking and I don’t think a single 1200w is enough for the cards. Depending on the card you have chosen it could need 3x8 pin pcie connectors per card. 1 power supply doesn’t have that. Maybe you could get away with it if the cards are undervolted for mining, but I don’t know how the cards will behave with not enough power cables plugged in. I am sure that information will be available somewhere.

And just to make sure you know. The 3080 doesn’t have sli at all. It is only available on the 3090.

And just to make sure you know. The 3080 doesn’t have sli at all. It is only available on the 3090.
Oh shoot... I forgot about that....... great point! The other I mentioned as well... It has the wattage (for stock operations), but not sure about the cable count. :thup:

X570=Better prepare to get an earlier Ryzen and flash the BIOS to a later version! Looks more likely for that to be the case than with B550. (IIRC, X570 is older than B550)

I found my Silverstone Strider 1000W today to go with my 3950/3090 build, and I ordered the EK 360 AIO cooler for my CPU and a vertical GPU mount. This is by far the 'highest end' build I've ever done, I'm super excited.

But yes, going with a Godlike or Extreme MB or a 5950 would have been more truly elite. And of course the Threadripper is a whole other echelon.

X570=Better prepare to get an earlier Ryzen and flash the BIOS to a later version! Looks more likely for that to be the case than with B550. (IIRC, X570 is older than B550)

AFAIK all asus X570 boards have bios flashback so you can flash without a CPU.

Not sure if they all do, but you would just need a board that has it and it won't be an issue. Plenty do from all price points too.

Not sure if they all do, but you would just need a board that has it and it won't be an issue. Plenty do from all price points too.

I was helping out a mate a few weeks back who had the issue with the bios and the board didn’t have flashback. What was crazy to me was that it was a fairly decent £220 board as well, cannot quite remember what it was. But yeh, not all of them have flashback.

I do believe I read somewhere that AMD or the retailers have to be able to flash the bios for you if you are buying a new system.

It's not close to high-end because of the 5950X. I mean, technically it is high-end, but there are newer, better (IPC and core/thread count) processors out. That said, this is only the mainstream platform... there is still the HEDT/Threadripper platform that offers more cores/threads....so you're asking about highest end builds, but stuck in the mainstream platform. ;)

The Crosshair VIII Formula supports RGBs..... there are integrated RGBs on the board and there are headers for attaching more (four more I believe).

Mining isn't really an HEDT function. Multi-GPU is still supported in some titles, but the efficiency/scaling is generally terrible with 3 GPUs... it's not great with two... Single big GPU for gaming for sure.

This just feels like spending cash to spend it, honestly....... and that's OK! But you don't "need" 3x GPUs and such for (most of) what you are planning with the machine.

The 1.2KW PSU should be fine for that build.... where you may run into issues is with finding 9 8-pin PCIe connectors for the GPUs. Many of these take 3x 8-pin PCIe connectors....

Thanks but those 64/128 cores from amd 3990x clock way less so thats why i think somethink like the 5990x will perform better say for gaming and applications that dont scale well with mult threads but only scale better with faster clocks !...

I dont just want to spend money really as i said i need the machine for mining at the beginning of my thread and hence am getting three 3080s (hopefully...)

Appreciated,

The one am hoping to grab has 2x 8pins per card
So i guess ill need a psu that supports 6x 8pins in total !... plz correct me if am wrong however...

Last edited by a moderator:
Running multiple PSUs may not be a bad idea in that regard. I don't know, the Lian Li Dynamic XL I just bought has room for that, I saw them mention it in one of the reviews I was watching.

Most new MSI, Gigabyte or ASRock starting from ~$250 have it too. Most like higher gaming or OC series. It saved me when I got MSI X570 Unify. I bought it nearly a year after release and it still had initial BIOS. I know that for example ASRock cares to update BIOS to the latest version before it leaves the factory (and I was talking with ASRock about it so I just know). Looks like MSI doesn't care so much.

I see 3 graphics cards pointless for anything than mining, and I wouldn't make one PC for gaming and mining. It's just better to make 2 rigs, keep one mining 24/7 and have available the second one for gaming everytime you want it. For gaming you wouldn't need the most expensive CPU, motherboard etc.

You may also consider Radeons as their performance is great, can use crossfire in games and their price is not bad ... as long as you can get one. I have no idea what about mining but previous generations were great for that and the RX6000 is using less power than Nvidia at about the same performance. I'm not sure what about undervolting etc.
Even if you look at ray tracing then Radeons are not as much worse as many reviews say. At least I was comparing that in some titles and can't repeat results from some reviews. No idea if it's a matter of other components, drivers, or something else.

You can use mentioned Lian-Li O11 in any version to install 2x PSU. Even the cheapest one has space for 2x PSU. Then you will need 24pin Y cable or other adapter to run 2 at the same time. Can make it on your own but when you spend so much money then better be sure that all connections are of high quality. Lian-Li O11 has also great airflow and it should be enough for 2-3 graphics cards.

Last edited:
For me a big problem would be that Xeon W-3175X is already for 2 years on the market so is old and clear waste of money. One more problem is that in games it's worse than 9900K/10700K. Even if someone has a lot of money then the performance not always comes with the price. Sadly, AMD has nothing better than 5950X right now as threadrippers are already old and in many situations slower. To get the new top stuff we have to wait some months.
The best reasonable stuff seems 5950X +higher motherboard with 3x PCIe x16 (so halfway looking at prices). The highest X570 motherboards give barely anything more than these 50% cheaper. The only problem is that only highly overpriced RTX3090 run in SLI and Radeons will be hard to get for longer. So it's like picking the lesser evil. Every option seems bad at some point.

would this build not be better off with 2 3090's.
for mining the cost of powering 2 3090's should be less than 3 3080's I would think.
for gaming you would get sli, even though it's falling to the wayside, A water cooled dual card rig just looks so sexy.

would this build not be better off with 2 3090's.
for mining the cost of powering 2 3090's should be less than 3 3080's I would think.
for gaming you would get sli, even though it's falling to the wayside, A water cooled dual card rig just looks so sexy.

For mining it would depend what coin is being mined, what miner is being used etc. Some miners use more vram than others, so one would leverage the vram of the 3090s, where as another would leverage the cores of the 3 3080s better. And then you have to factor in the cost of the 3090s, at twice the price of the 3080, will you get the money back through mining?

I stopped mining years ago, as I was getting maybe $50 a month at the time of whatever I was mining using 1080ti’s. I’ve looked into the new cards and you can maybe expect $120 per month right now on a 3080 which isn’t too bad. But crypto currencies are so volatile that could change quickly. I just started investing stocks instead, I could invest as little as 1k and make 100 in a month with no outlay for electricity etc. And if I wanted out I could sell in and instant.

Exactly right on the term of 3 3080s versus 2 3090s.

when you look at the hashing power you would never make up the difference with a 3090 versus a 3080 as the difference is not that significant, especially when it cost twice as much.

And now comparing AMD versus Nvidia cards, all of the AIB AMD cards cost about as much as an expensive nvidia card, and are even harder to find.

I personally have a 5900X that is mining monero at around 14kh/s and a 3080 FTW3 at around 95 megahash per second.

Back