• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to me connections now, the motherboards have an 8-pin connector and a 4-pin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

The usual 8-pin connector, plus a 4-pin connector for the CPU now! What should I get for a PSU?

(Was wondering, in case I do another build)

Last edited:
My Crosshair VIII Hero has this. It says the 8-pin is sufficient to run the MB, but the 4-pin (in addition) they recommend if you intend extreme OCing under cold like LN2 or something.

I ran into posts saying the same kind of thing, too.

I'm not going away from AMD, but I just ordered the parts for an Intel 10th gen hex'er build! ;)

Last edited:
8+4 pin EPS connections have been on motherboards for several years/generations. You see just 4-pin on some cheap models (rare). Sometimes 8 only...sometimes 8+4 or even 8+8.

Per usual, the 8-pin is required while the 4-pin is optional.

Last edited:
8+4 pin EPS connections have been on motherboards for several years/generations. You see just 4-pin on some cheap models (rare). Sometimes 8 only...sometimes 8+4 or even 8+8.
can concur.
i even have one with 2x 8 pins + 4 pin, and another with 2x 8 pins.

I built it some nights ago. It POST'ed and just like the B450 Tomahawk, IIRC, the BIOS gave me the message about the CPU being changed and asked me if I want to load the defaults and I did. BIOS looked totally normal after that.

can concur.
i even have one with 2x 8 pins + 4 pin, and another with 2x 8 pins.

Well the new PSU I got, has one for a "second" CPU. Looks like I should be all golden!

Last edited:
Back