• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Normal for a PSU to buzz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Title. Is it normal or a sign of impending failure? Its difficult to describe. Sounds a lot like a small fan (40mm or smaller) but the PSU is off. When I unplug it, noise resumes. It’s not very loud.

So when it is off but plugged in, no noise. But when it is unplugged, there is noise? That's....odd.

Coil whine from a PSU is possible, for sure. It doesn't seem to be as common as GPU coil whine we're more used to, but yes, it can happen.

Oof that's what I get for posting on mobile.

Off and plugged in = noise. Unplugged = no noise. Coil whine? Interesting. My first experience with it.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you unplug the PSU from the internal components and plug it back into power?

Also which PSU is this?

And yeah, coil whine isn't too uncommon in other components. If I play an older game like HL2 with VSync off, frame rates are in the high hundreds and I get a high pitched whine from the GPU - wouldn't be surprised if that's what you're hearing.

Good chance of bad caps! Based on my experience with a 2005 Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W with Fuhjyyu caps. Then I inspected the caps and found the one that's most likely the +5VSB, bulging! Those Antec PSUs were manufactured by CWT.

IIRC, one day in 2011, when the house was very quiet, I heard a whine with the PC off, but plugged in. It wasn't my daily-driver rig, which had a 2008 FSP 500W.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you unplug the PSU from the internal components and plug it back into power?

Also which PSU is this?

And yeah, coil whine isn't too uncommon in other components. If I play an older game like HL2 with VSync off, frame rates are in the high hundreds and I get a high pitched whine from the GPU - wouldn't be surprised if that's what you're hearing.

It's a Delta-branded PSU inside an IBM computer from 1992-94ish

Title. Is it normal or a sign of impending failure? Its difficult to describe. Sounds a lot like a small fan (40mm or smaller) but the PSU is off. When I unplug it, noise resumes. It’s not very loud.

It’s making noise when the system is off? Power supplies will send a minute amount of power when not “on”. Maybe low power draw is causing a sound? How many hours has the power supply been operating?

Back