• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to tell the the Post Office delivered your mail in the 21st century

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
If you're not doing this, you are not living in the third decade of the 21st century:

Have you ever wondered if the post office has delivered your mail?
But how can you tell?

Do you saddle up your horse and ride it down to the mailbox, only to find out that your mailbox is empty, having wasted a trip, with your horse looking at you like you are a moron for wasting his time? :bday:

"No more" - you say to yourself, so you install this:

MailBoxAlertYellow.jpg

or this:

MailBoxAlertFlag.jpg

But what are you doing? These are not the caveman days. :cool:

Get a home hub: https://shop.yosmart.com/collections/featured/products/yolink-hub
Get a motion detector: https://shop.yosmart.com/collections/sensors/products/yolink-motion-sensor

The motion detector sends a non-wifi / non-internet signal to the home hub [so it doesn't have to be within the range of your WiFi].

The home hub receives it and then IT sends a signal to your mobile cellular device. YOU'VE GOT MAIL!!

Alert1.jpg

Alert2.jpg

Alert3.jpg

Now you can go down to the mailbox with pride.
*Now* you are living in the third decade of the 21st century.

:cool:

This actually appeals to me perhaps just because it's a really over-engineered way to solve a trivial problem.*

An alternative is move to the UK where the mail goes into a slot on your front door. Voila.

* Well, for an able-bodied person - not meaning to sound ableist!

Haters.

All of you :cool:

By sheer coincidence I drive out today as the Post Office vehicle is approaching my mailbox!
I get the cell phone out and I look and wait....

The NANOSECOND the mailman touched the mailbox my phone lit up!!

So yeah.

I have also signed up for Informed Delivery, 100% in full.
We shall see how it compares to my James Bond setup.

And then I will post here.

:borg:

This actually appeals to me perhaps just because it's a really over-engineered way to solve a trivial problem.*

An alternative is move to the UK where the mail goes into a slot on your front door. Voila.

* Well, for an able-bodied person - not meaning to sound ableist!
Assuming they deliver at all. Royal Mail is the worst. I don’t have a door slot either.

I only have to take 3 steps out my front door to get to my mailbox :)

When I moved in to my house, I did have to walk 5 houses down to the community mailboxs to get my mail, but I'm disabled and with bad knees and back and feet, I'm in a lot of pain. So I talked to the Post Office and they said to talk to my doctor and get a letter to bring back to them and get a mailbox installed at my house.

DSCN0471.JPG

p.s. I can even hear when the mailbox is closed so I know when the mail has been delivered.

Last edited:

I lived in house back in the early 1970s that had a mail slot in the front door.

Our mailbox is 3/4 mi. away down on the highway. Lately the Post Office's scans seem "made up", I'll get an email that a package was delivered, but it won't be in the box, probably just calling the arrival scan to the postal facility as "delivered".

Well this concept of Informed Delivery, if your phone doesn't light up to tell you the mail has arrived, then what are we talking about (as far as this thread is concerned)!?

I mean most package deliveries have tracking already. Progress scans, scans of your mail, those are all valid but separate topics. The point is knowing that the mail has arrived and that you can *now* go to the mailbox.
Can Informed Delivery do that, yes/no?

"You still receive paper mail? To your house? Eewwww. Are you even living in the 22nd century." - c627627 on 1/1/2100.

22nd century is Space Station mail. That's coming. Also even if drones drop your mail off, you still will know WHEN and IF drones dropped it off yet.

Okay players. I received my first Informed Delivery notification. They are pictures of front of mail "coming your way" at some point - but Informed Delivery does not mention when it is being delivered. So the value of this is: pictures of your mail... but this is not arrival time related at all.

So the question for thideras and ATMINSIDE is:

Is your experience different... Did you get any notification about delivery time for your Informed Delivery signups?
Or did you just assume that it included delivery time info?

So the question for thideras and ATMINSIDE is:

Is your experience different... Did you get any notification about delivery time for your Informed Delivery signups?
Or did you just assume that it included delivery time info?
The email is to notify you what will be dropped off that day. So, if you want instant notification, this won't help. Before working from home, since they would always deliver before I'd leave work, I'd use the email to know if I needed to stop at the mailbox on the way home.

I see. So Informed Delivery is only to tell you what will eventually get delivered - it does not notify you about delivery times. Thank you.

Brilliant! :D

I dedicate this thread to hokiealumnus: https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/798526

OMG, this is great. Crazy, but great.

We can always hear our mail truck if we're home. Especially on trash day. She is extremely serious about not getting out of her truck. If there is a trash can or recycling bin in her way, before she delivers that mail, it won't be! She doesn't break them, but neither does she hesitate to "gently" move them with her bumper.

Typically my dogs will let me know that there is activity in the area. Yes, it is often the mail lady (she's pretty cool, covers packages when it rains, waves and chats it up if I'm outside already, we gift her at Christmas) but sometimes they spot critters or a vehicle making an unusual sound. One way or another I manage to make it out to the highway just as much to get fresh air as mail. I guess the 21st century offers many mail options with the exception of not getting junk mail be it physical or electronic.

The trick is to put the motion sensor up higher and towards the middle to avoid the sides of the mailbox accidentally triggering it:

MailBox1.jpg

Now also add a battery operated motion sensor light to view the inside of your mailbox in style.
[Instead of "feeling your way" in the dark, like a common peasant!] :D

MailBox2.jpg

Now you're living the dream!

Why don't you guys just slip the postperson a $100 and ask them to knock on your door to hand deliver it?

Or do what did and have kids for the sole purpose of sending them to check the mail. My wife balked at that idea but now she never has to check the mail. She loves it.

Someone stole my beautiful mailbox last night at 2:30 AM.
Camera caught them but it was too dark to see the details down the driveway, my driveway is too long... mailbox is far from the house.

If anyone finds my mail box, there will be a cash reward.

Isn't it a Federal offense to steal it?

Mailbox.jpg

Not everywhere. I have a mailbox. And in my case they misdeliver because my house number happens to be the same as another house number very close by, but they apparently can’t read the fact that the street and postcode are different so I get their crap all the time.

Someone stole my beautiful mailbox last night at 2:30 AM.
Guess they don’t like the Irish.

Back