• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally 4.2 stable, following Miahallen's instructions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

Start by lowering your CPU multi to x16...that way we can keep the CPU out of the picture for a few minutes. To ensure consistency, disable all power saving and throttling features, and set your vcore to 1.25V and enable load line calibration.

Next, back your memory way down to the lowest multi, leave the timings at CL9 how they are now, that should be fine. Lock your vDIMM at 1.65V and your VTT to 1.35V.

Also, change all other BIOS voltages/timings back to "auto".

Now, we are ready to find your basic Bclock limit. Start pushing it up from 180MHz in 5MHz increments with a 5 min stability test each time. If you make it to 210MHz, then drop back to 200MHz and see if the stability test will pass for 30 min. If you cannot make it to 210MHz, try to give it another bump in VTT, to 1.4V or so, and try again.

If you get your Bclock stable at 200MHz with these loose mem timings, the next step is to tighten them up. So raise your mem multi back up (one step at a time) to where you want it...checking for basic (5 min) stability at each step. Although for now, do not exceed the manufactures specs for the memory speed/timings. If you find an instability, raise the VTT a little.

After getting your Bclock and memory stable, we can go back to working on your CPU. VTT & vDIMM are the only voltages we should have played with much so far, because we now have a stable Bclock & mem settings, we can freely OC the CPU and our only variables will be CPU voltage, and heat.

OCing is all about controlling your environment, isolating one component at a time, and pushing each piece to it's limit.

Following Miahallen's instructions from another post, I fiannly got my 4.2 stable at 1.44V.

I of course wish the voltages were lower, but hey under prime they only hit 75°C

First let me express my gratitude to Miahallen and all those others that helped.

My settings ended up being.

Vcore 1.440V
Bclk: 210
Multiplier: 20
Turbo off
Power Saving Settings off.
QPI/Vtt (DMI): 1.35V
Vdram: 1.64V
DRam Multi X6
DRam Timings: 7-7-7-21
DRam Freq: 630MHz

Everything else is left Auto.

I see why having DDR3 2000 Ram is important now. Had I put my DRam Multi at X8 with 210 Bclk puts the DRAM running at 1680 (840)MHz. Since I guess this ram doesn't like speeds higher than 1600, it would require going higher or lowering the Bclk and raising the multi. It was definitely fun doing this with systematic instructions. It still took me about 3 hours, but thats way less time than its taken me this last week.

Thanks Again. :comp:

Could you run BCLK of 200 x Mult 21 for 4.2GHz leaving your RAM to run at 1600 at 2:8? When I run Turbo mode, my RAM stays at 800MHz in CPU-Z like it is running on the 20 multiplier and the cpu goes to 4.2GHz. My RAM doesn't like to run above 1600 either without making some voltage increases and I'm not about to put more than 1.66v through it.

Last edited:
Yeah bda1967, that is what I ended up doing, I just didn't post before I headed to bed.

I am so glad to have this thing finally overclocked =).

I did try to hit 4400, but the gross amount of Vcore I have to give it, just isnt worth the turnaround.

Congratulations Brutal-Force,

Are you ready to run a few test of Multi-thread Super PI?

Download: http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/#Download

Instructions
Download file, unzip, and then open y-cruncher.exe. Enter the following:
enter 0: (Benchmark Pi)
enter 1: Multi-threaded
enter 0: Choose SuperPi Sizes
enter 25: To run 32M test
or enter 28: To run 256M test
or enter 29: To run 512M test
take a screenshot after each test
(Warning: you might find your overclock isn't as stable as you think it is!)

Here are my scores TURBO OFF, 20*210bclk
32M = 10.926s
douc60.jpg

256M = 116.369s
9s457s.jpg

512M = 255.760s
j7cn5j.jpg

Following Miahallen's instructions from another post, I fiannly got my 4.2 stable at 1.44V.

I of course wish the voltages were lower, but hey under prime they only hit 75°C

First let me express my gratitude to Miahallen and all those others that helped.

My settings ended up being.

Vcore 1.440V
Bclk: 210
Multiplier: 20
Turbo off
Power Saving Settings off.
QPI/Vtt (DMI): 1.35V
Vdram: 1.64V
DRam Multi X6
DRam Timings: 7-7-7-21
DRam Freq: 630MHz

Everything else is left Auto.

I see why having DDR3 2000 Ram is important now. Had I put my DRam Multi at X8 with 210 Bclk puts the DRAM running at 1680 (840)MHz. Since I guess this ram doesn't like speeds higher than 1600, it would require going higher or lowering the Bclk and raising the multi. It was definitely fun doing this with systematic instructions. It still took me about 3 hours, but thats way less time than its taken me this last week.

Thanks Again. :comp:

YOU CHEATED!!!!

That was my thread he was helping me NOT YOU

shame on you...Someone ban him nao! :D

Nice I'm glad to see someone else was having issues like me. I don't have 2000mhz ram so I think I'm in a little different boat than you are but I hope to be 4.2 4.4 semi stable soon. If I can boot and stress for 5-10 minutes at 4.2 and 4.4 with prime I will have no issues doing what I do with it on a daily basis. I still want to find a 24/7 stable setting so I can start folding. I'm going out of town for a week and would have loved to get my pc up and running and setup for folding while I'm away but I don't think that's happening(as I am leaving the 19th)

pc is down right now as I am adding a couple fans to the system(one to the the top blowing out, and a 70mm hanging off the v10 pointing at the NB)

YOU CHEATED!!!!

That was my thread he was helping me NOT YOU

shame on you...Someone ban him nao! :D

Nice I'm glad to see someone else was having issues like me. I don't have 2000mhz ram so I think I'm in a little different boat than you are but I hope to be 4.2 4.4 semi stable soon. If I can boot and stress for 5-10 minutes at 4.2 and 4.4 with prime I will have no issues doing what I do with it on a daily basis. I still want to find a 24/7 stable setting so I can start folding. I'm going out of town for a week and would have loved to get my pc up and running and setup for folding while I'm away but I don't think that's happening(as I am leaving the 19th)

pc is down right now as I am adding a couple fans to the system(one to the the top blowing out, and a 70mm hanging off the v10 pointing at the NB)

I don't have DDR3 2000 either. I have DDR3 1600. I was kind of commenting that in order to run 210 FSB or higher at a X8 Multi, you would need either really good 1600, or 2000 because your RAM frequency would be like 840 (1680). Thats why I had to back the multiplier to X6 OR Change the CPU to 200X21 instead of 210X20. Either way it works. Doing a ram bench mark shows that the RAM speeds really are minimal, but if your benching it, I can see the point. Hence, the need for higher speed ram. The balance seems to be between running Ram at highest rated speed/lowest timings vs. CPU Highest speed/Highest FSB.

For me a major issue was the amount of ram I was running. At 8GB your CPU Vcore needs considerably more voltage than with only 4 or 2GB.

I bet his instructions were MOAR VCORE IGOR! lol!
LMAO :D

Could you run BCLK of 200 x Mult 21 for 4.2GHz leaving your RAM to run at 1600 at 2:8? When I run Turbo mode, my RAM stays at 800MHz in CPU-Z like it is running on the 20 multiplier and the cpu goes to 4.2GHz. My RAM doesn't like to run above 1600 either without making some voltage increases and I'm not about to put more than 1.66v through it.
^^^ Yes! :beer:

Another good option would be to loosen up mem timings a little...maybe 7-8-7-20 1T with 1.7V ;)

Yeah bda1967, that is what I ended up doing, I just didn't post before I headed to bed.

I am so glad to have this thing finally overclocked =).

I did try to hit 4400, but the gross amount of Vcore I have to give it, just isnt worth the turnaround.
4400 is tough on all but the very best of the i5s...I have one of those :p

I don't have DDR3 2000 either. I have DDR3 1600. I was kind of commenting that in order to run 210 FSB or higher at a X8 Multi, you would need either really good 1600, or 2000 because your RAM frequency would be like 840 (1680). Thats why I had to back the multiplier to X6 OR Change the CPU to 200X21 instead of 210X20. Either way it works. Doing a ram bench mark shows that the RAM speeds really are minimal, but if your benching it, I can see the point. Hence, the need for higher speed ram. The balance seems to be between running Ram at highest rated speed/lowest timings vs. CPU Highest speed/Highest FSB.

For me a major issue was the amount of ram I was running. At 8GB your CPU Vcore needs considerably more voltage than with only 4 or 2GB.
I haven't tested with 8GB...nor do I have 8GB to test with...but I would imagine this is a VERY nice OC with 8GB :thup:

Did you guys do anything to the QPI Link data rate or just leave it auto? I've got mine set at the lowest multi and i'm wondering if that might be giving me false positives with my inital vtt (QPI/DRAM voltage) tests

No, you should be able to leave it auto. If not, the recommended setting is X32.

:welcome:

I can only reiterate, it is very important to follow the instructions precisely. Take the time to learn the limits of your components, it will help you in the long run, as well as picking the best "end" combination.

LMAO :D

^^^ Yes! :beer:

Another good option would be to loosen up mem timings a little...maybe 7-8-7-20 1T with 1.7V ;)

4400 is tough on all but the very best of the i5s...I have one of those :p

I haven't tested with 8GB...nor do I have 8GB to test with...but I would imagine this is a VERY nice OC with 8GB :thup:

I can run it at 4405MHz, but it is an unstable overclock. It also requires 1.53V to even just be able to use windows. Any real load on it and it crashes.

Since I don't have Water clocking, I don't think its worth the extra Volts to try to get it stable for a 200MHz increase, and since I have a bench screenshot with it, that is enough for me.

No, you should be able to leave it auto. If not, the recommended setting is X32.

:welcome:

I can only reiterate, it is very important to follow the instructions precisely. Take the time to learn the limits of your components, it will help you in the long run, as well as picking the best "end" combination.

Thanks for the advice, brutal, and thanks also for the welcoming. :salute:

If i may ask one more question, I'm guessing that the first round of stress testing in this process is designed to test the upper limits of the QPI's ability to accept really high bclk settings, right? i've been Prime95'ing my system for about 25 minutes on 210 bclk at 1.35 vtt with no system failure yet. Does that mean i should back off the vtt to find a stable QPI setting with the lowest vtt? Will that help with lowering your temps?

Also (not to try to hijack your thread) is it better to run an OC on a higher bclk on the 20x cpu multi if you can get away with it rather than bumping up to 21 and lowering your blck?

Last edited:
No, leave the QPI/Vtt at 1.35. The first step is complete. You can achieve a stable 210 Bclk.

Next step is your RAM. Start with the lowest Multiplier X6 Set your timings at stock and your Voltage at 1.64.

Gradually lower the timings. Use the settings in CPUz as a reference. You should be something like either 8-8-8-27 or 7-7-7-21. Each time you change a setting, run Prime again for 5 min. Next raise your Multipliers from 6 to 8, you will notice that with DDR3 1600, you will not be able to get 210 Bclk with 8X multi, but you will get 200. Likewise you will get 210 with X6. This will determine your ultimate Bclk to go with your CPU multiplier later. For now, get your RAM timing and multi set, then gradually lower your memory Voltages.

After you have completed that step. You know your Bclk is stable and your RAM is stable. That is when it is time to work on your CPU.

Also (not to try to hijack your thread) is it better to run an OC on a higher bclk on the 20x cpu multi if you can get away with it rather than bumping up to 21 and lowering your blck?
- I think this really depends on the speed of the RAM your running. You might not be able to run at a 8X multi at 210, but you could run at X6. Also a motherboard may never hit 210 Bclk, so you would basically be forced to run at 200X21 to hit 4.2. DDR3 2000 RAM would solve the limit on the 21X210 Bclk and then you could hit 4400 at X8 Multiplier and run 800MHz or even go for 1000Mhz with a 10X multi, but I am not sure how much of a benefit it would be, you might see like a 0.005% improvment in speed. Only a benchmark would notice the difference.

Last edited:
hi,

same here, with bclk 175, but all power saving and cpu features *on.so it use up to 24x (4200).

full load on 3 or 4 cores= 3675 (21x)
full load on 1 or 2 cores= 4200 (24x)
idle 1575 (9x)

current bios settings:

w4xiucorfrr4.JPG

nice thing is that now ;) :

IDLE = 0.96vcore
load on 1 or 2 cores = 1.34vcore
on all cores = 1.26vcore

here an memory result from me (i'm beta tester):
NJL8S7QsM1y4.png

best

FYI guys...you've all prompted me to really lay this thing out in a proper format. I just completed my own overclocking guide. It'll be posted on the front page within a few days, I'll link you when it's up :beer:

Back