• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*Updated* The Official Team 32 Install Guide - GPU, CPU; Win/Lin/VM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Contents:
  • Post 2: SMP/VMWare -- leelegend
  • Post 3: NotFred/VMWare -- PeddlerOfFlesh
  • Post 4: Multi-GPU -- thideras
  • Post 5: SMP-MPICH -- harlam357
  • Post 6: Multi-VM -- Edward2
  • Post 7: Ubuntu/SMP -- Adak
  • Post 8: SMP-DEINO -- Jolly-Swagman
  • Post 9: GPU2-Systray -- ChasR/nitteo
  • Post 10: GPU2/Windows 7 notes -- dfonda

Thanks are due to all members who contributed to these guides. Please feel free to submit additions/amendments to these at the bottom of the thread.

Last edited:
SMP/VMWare
Originally written by leelegend

Thanks to Dropadrop for the terminal version, but here is easy way for windows users :)

1. download vmware from here http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
(see junebugs advise below, regarding versions, i have had no problem with 1.01)
and get a serial number

2. download ubunto desktop from here http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download#currentrelease
make sure you download the correct version for your hardware, its a big download so make sure!!
you will need the 64bit version: 64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD
this works with all AMD64 and new intel chips with 64bit instructions, make sure you enable virtulisation/64bit in the bios if there is a option.
burn the ISO to a CD.

3. Install VMWare, nice and easy windows installer :)

4. Load VMWare and create a new virtual machine (wizard), select "other" option and select "other 64bit" from the drop down.
select all of the default options, but make sure you select 2 processors
select the right amount of disk/memory for your machine (i currently install with 5gb of disk and 500mb ram
on the "network type" screen, i have been selecting "NAT" option, as it saves messing about with network settings, and just bridges your windows internet connection......

5. Put your previously burnt CD in the drive and "start virtual machine"
VMWare will start and hopefully boot off of the CD, you might need to restart the virtual machine again, so that it notices the cd.
once ubunto loads, try to surf the net, if that works you are ready to install.
ALTERNATIVELY (pscout:)), you can specify booting from the ISO image from within the VM machine settings that you created above, this is a lot quicker as it comes from the HD.

6. Run the Ubunto installer.....i just pick all of the default settings, you are running within a virtual machine, so it wont mess with your windows install whatever you pick....superb!!!
install away and reboot the virtual machine on completition (not the whole machine!).....take out the cd

7. restart the virtual machine (should be a lot quick now its running off of a hard drive!), surf the net again, to check all is ok.

8. in the Applications drop down menu (in ubunto) go to Accessories, select "terminal", and type:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
and answer yes to it request for disk space.
MAKE SURE NO OTHER INSTALLER IS RUNNING eg..patchs/updates, i would suggest running the above line first to save problems later

9. INSTALL folding at home SMP from typing the following:
mkdir -p ~/folding/FAH
cd ~/folding/FAH
wget http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz
tar xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz

GET IT RUNNING WITH:
./fah5 - needs to be run each time you load linux (unless you setup a autorun)

There are further instructions for creating a batch file and flags etc here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-SMP.html

i hope this helps....i have not used linux up until trying this, and i had it up and running in a couple of hours

TIP....ALT/CTRL PUTS THE MOUSE CONTROL BACK TO WINDOWS :)
TIP....use ctrl+c to stop the client (thanks Pacifist)

i am getting 9minutes a frame on a AMD X2 4400. Let me know if i have missed any steps.
you can also run a single windows CPU instance to soak up any left over idle process (probaly about 10-15%)
i am going to experiment with a SMP/GPU combination next weekend :)

lee

Last edited:
OK, this is my first attempt at a guide, so it may be missing stuff and I'm certain it will be ugly (at least to start). There seems to have been a lot of interest in this, but a lot of questions. Here goes.

How to set up Notfred's VMWare Virtual Appliance with VMWare Player.

1. Obtain and install VMWare Player. (VMWare) (Filehippo) Filehippo doesn't require registration. I think the only option during install is the install directory. Other than that, any good firewall will probably pop up asking if you want to allow the newly added virtual network cards to have access to your computer or LAN. Make sure you allow these.

2. Obtain the virtual appliance image. (link)

3. Open the zip containing folding.vmdk and folding.vmx. Extract these to whatever directories you want to use, say C:\folding\vm for example. If you have a quadcore and are planning to use 2 VMs with static IP addresses (suggested, for monitoring purposes), name it something like vm1 and make a copy of it and call the second directory vm2. If you are using DHCP you can copy it AFTER you make the configuration changes in step 8.

4. (Optional) for management purposes, you may want to change the name of the VM. Right click on the .vmx file and open it with wordpad. Where it says displayName = "Folding@Home", you can change what is in the quotes to whatever you want to help you keep track of which is which if you have a quadcore and are running 2 VMs. You need to do this for both directories.

5. You can now run the virtual machine by double clicking the .vmx file or by opening it through VMWare Player. (My virtual machines randomly stopped working by opening the .vmx file and I now have to run VMWare Player as Administrator, then open the virtual machine) At this point it will boot up and detect your architechture and launch the appropriate configuration. Assuming it has access to the internet1, it will download what it needs and start folding (under notfred's username).

6. When the VM boots up, take note of the IP address given on the console. Now go to your web browser and go to http://<IP address of VM>. It will bring up the status page. Click "Reconfigure this host and any USB drives". This page is where you will configure your VM.

7. Configure it however you'd like. Remember to change the username and team! Here are some of the options that might not be obvious.
  • SMP Instance per - This is how many CPUs to use. I don't think there's any point in using more than 2, as VMWare Player won't use them.
  • Remote Reboot - This enables a link on the status page that will let you reboot the machine.
  • Install to USB drives on boot - When the VM boots it will try to install to a USB drive for use on another computer or on the same computer for diskless folding. I've never messed with this, so I don't know if it works.
  • Console blank time - Simply blanks the VM's window.
  • Windows Networking - This will enable samba file sharing on the VM, so you can browse its files from the computer it's running on.
  • Login shell - This enables you to login from the VM to run commands. It's very limited and you probably won't need it, but it doesn't hurt to enable it.

8. Click reconfigure. It will tell you it has to reboot. Let it do its thing. After a few seconds it will be back up and folding under your name. You can double check this on the console in the area marked in blue on the picture below.

9. Repeat 4 - 9 if you have another static IP VM to set up. If you used DHCP, now would be the time to make a copy of the first VM and get it up and running.

10. (Optional, but suggested) You may want to set the priority to vmware-vmx.exe to low. It may provide a slightly higher PPD yield from the GPU2 clients, especially if they require more than 1-2% CPU. It will also make it less likely to bog down the rest of your computer. If running GPU2 clients, you should also set their priority to slightly higher via the GPU2 client (not task manager) if you haven't already.

1 If it doesn't have access to the internet, try switching between bridged and NAT and rebooting the VM. You can switch between bridged and NAT by right clicking the two computes in the bottom of the VMWare Player window. This is circled in red in the image below. Also make sure your firewall is allowing it out. It will probably ask you if you want to allow it's virtual network cards when you install VMWare Player.

Some visual clarification:
notfred-tut.jpg

Monitoring with FahMon

1. Download Fahmon, if you don't have it already. You can get 2.3.99+ here.

2. In the main window right click "Add a client". Fill in the name as whatever you'd like to describe it. I find it helpful to use the name I gave it with displayName= in step 4.

3. In the location box you can either use the IP (if it's static) or the client's hostname. To find the host name you can either look at the console, or go to the client's built in webpage. This name will be something like FOLD-XXXX. In the location box enter \\<either the IP, or the hostname>\c\etc\folding\1\

4. Check the box that says "Client is on a Virtual Machine" and click OK.

5. (Optional) You may want to go to FahMon -> Preferences -> Monitoring and check the "Ignore Asynchronous Clocks" option if you are still having problems with it saying it is hung.

Common Problems

1. You get something like this:
Code:
hda1: rw=1, want 2094840, limit 2088387
attempt to access beyond end of device

This seems to happen to everybody. It doesn't seem to cause any real problems. notfred knows about this and may be working on a fix. A few people have said their PPD has gone down after it happened, but any ill effects are not known for sure.

2. You get an out of RAM error. This crashes your folding core and you have to reboot the VM. Unless you move up the RAM, this can happen again.

To increase the amount of RAM, go to VMWare Player on the title bar of the VMWare Player, then go to Troubleshoot, then Change Memory Allocation. At minimum I would use 864, but some people have said it requires more. It has also been reported that being a multiple of 32 helps. NOTE: this doesn't seem to actually use up more RAM. What it DOES seem to do is increase the size limit of the .vmem file in your folding directory. If your system doesn't have much RAM, don't be afraid to move this up.​

OK, now the information for the guide is here. I just gotta look at other people's guides to get an idea how to pretty it up.

Multi-GPU client Setup

Welcome to the Multi GPU folding walkthrough! My name is Thideras and I will be your guide. Today we will be touring the majestic lands of GPU folding! This territory has only been recently discovered and is still very new to many people. Please sit back and relax as we continue.

What you will need:
1) A computer with two or more nVidia GPU's (8800 or newer)
2) Internet connection
3) A serious amount of air conditioning for the room the computer will be in
4) This guide

-------------------------------------------------

Drivers:

XP 32bit 182.50

XP 64bit 182.50

Vista 32bit 182.50
Vista 64bit 182.50

Make sure to remove any other drivers before installing updated ones to prevent issues.

Setting up:
You will first need two monitors (or one if you don't mind rebooting) to setup the cards and get them overclocked and configured for the folding client. Use Rivatuner along with RTHDRIBL to determine the max shader overclock for the cards. You only need to overclock the shaders, I have found that more core or memory speed does not help, it just adds heat. I suggest using RTHDRIBL over Furmark since you can specify what GPU it uses to render (File<Config Display<Display Adapter) and speeds up testing quite a bit.

Once you find the max shader overclock for each card, check the box (for each GPU) to set that overclock during startup.

Rivasavesettings.png

You can now remove the second monitor (if you used one) and restart. Please make sure to check the settings stuck after the restart and that you only have 1 screen enabled and 1 disabled. You can check that by right clicking on the desktop, click Properties and go to the last tab. One should be solid and another grayed out.

screens.png

If that is good, move on to the next section!

Downloading and installing the client:
Since we have all the cards setup, we need to download and install the client. Please download the client, 1.07 core and FAHMon:

F@H GPU Client
FAHMon

Download all three and run the F@H GPU Client's install. There is nothing you can change during the install, so no pictures needed. The program installs to "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu" if you are on a 32bit system and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu" if you are on a 64bit system. At this time, DO NOT run anything in this folder, we have quite a bit more to configure.

Right click on the "[email protected]" file and select Send to<Desktop. Do that TWICE so we have duplicate shortcuts on the desktop.

Installfolder.png

We should now have two shortcuts on the desktop, let us rename them to "GPU1" and "GPU2" to keep it simple.

Shorcutunmodified.png

Configure shortcuts and folders:

Create two folders on the C: drive labeled "GPU1" and "GPU2". These folders will be used as the "Start in" folder for the shortcuts that will will configure next.

createfolders.png

Back on the desktop, right click the "GPU1" shortcut and select Properties. In the "Target" box, leave the path the way it is but put your cursor AFTER the last double quote. Press your space bar one and type "-gpu 0 -verbosity 9 -local", do not put the "s that I have added. Change the "Start in" path to "C:\GPU1", leave the "s that I put in. It should look like this:

shortcutgpu0.png

Hit OK once you have finished changing the two boxes. Right click on the "GPU2" shortcut on the desktop and click on "Properties". In the "Target" box, leave the path the way it is but put your cursor AFTER the last double quote. Press your space bar one and type "-gpu 1 -verbosity 9 -local", do not put the "s that I have added. Change the "Start in" path to "C:\GPU2", leave the "s that I put in. It should look like this:

shortcutgpu1.png

Copying the final files:
We have to copy a few files over so that the client can run properly. Open up the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu", please note that you must turn on viewing of system files and folder (Tools<Folder Options<View) before that folder is visible. There will be 3 files that we need to copy (and ONLY these 3!):

copyfiles.png

Copy those 3 files and paste them in C:\GPU1 and C:\GPU2...DO NOT skip this step, the client will not run without them.

Once you have all 3 files in each of the folders (C:\GPU1 and C:\GPU2), proceed onto the next step.

FAHMon setup:
Since we have the folders created, we can now move onto the FAHMon installation and configuration. Install FAHMon from the exe that we downloaded earlier and run it from its shortcut. Right click in the list box and select "Add a new client". Give it the name "GPU1" and the location of "C:\GPU1" then hit OK. Right click in the list box again and select "Add a new client". Give it the name "GPU2" and the location of "C:\GPU2". You might notice that they show up as black squares, this is normal for now since there is no log in those folders yet. Go up to "Monitoring" and click "Show/Hide FAHLog", this will enable easier monitoring once we start each client. Your window should now look like this:

fahmonconfig.png

We will be using the following shortcuts quite a bit in the next section:
Reload selected client - F5
Reload all clients - F6

Running GPU1:
Since we now have everything configured except the actual client itself, we can attempt to run it! Using the shortcut we created on the desktop (very important!), double click the GPU1 shortcut. It may take a second or two, but we should get a screen labeled "Folding@home Control Panel". Fill in the username and team number. Go to the Connection tab and check the box that says "Allow receipt of work assignments and return of results greater than 10MB in size". Go to the advanced tab and check the box that says "Do NOT lock cores to specific CPU". At this time, the non-cpu locking feature is broken, although when they fix it, you will already have it setup.

Switch back to FAHMon and select GPU1 in the list and start smashing the F5 key so you can watch the client start! It should show info like this:

Code:
--- Opening Log file [July 5 00:34:20] 

# Windows Console GPU Edition #################################################
###############################################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.12beta8

http://folding.stanford.edu

Launch directory: C:\GPU1
Arguments: -gpu 0 -verbosity 9 -local 

[00:34:32] - Ask before connecting: No
[00:34:32] - User name: thideras (Team 32)
[00:34:32] - User ID: 23B9894D0054EBD8
[00:34:32] - Machine ID: 1
[00:34:32] 
[00:34:32] Work directory not found. Creating...
[00:34:32] Could not open work queue, generating new queue...
[00:34:32] Initialization complete
[00:34:32] + Benchmarking ...
[00:34:32] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[00:34:32] + Attempting to get work packet
[00:34:32] - Autosending finished units...
[00:34:32] Trying to send all finished work units
[00:34:32] + No unsent completed units remaining.
[00:34:32] - Autosend completed
[00:34:32] - Will indicate memory of 2046 MB
[00:34:32] - Detect CPU. Vendor: GenuineIntel, Family: 6, Model: 15, Stepping: 11
[00:34:32] - Connecting to assignment server
[00:34:32] Connecting to http://assign-GPU.stanford.edu:8080/
[00:34:32] Posted data.
[00:34:32] Initial: 40AB; - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.20).
[00:34:32] + News From Folding@Home: GPU folding beta
[00:34:33] Loaded queue successfully.
[00:34:33] Connecting to http://171.64.65.20:8080/
[00:34:34] Posted data.
[00:34:34] Initial: 0000; - Receiving payload (expected size: 41345)
[00:34:34] Conversation time very short, giving reduced weight in bandwidth avg
[00:34:34] - Downloaded at ~80 kB/s
[00:34:34] - Averaged speed for that direction ~80 kB/s
[00:34:34] + Received work.
[00:34:34] + Closed connections
[00:34:34] 
[00:34:34] + Processing work unit
[00:34:34] Core required: FahCore_11.exe
[00:34:34] Core found.
[00:34:34] Working on queue slot 01 [July 5 00:34:34]
[00:34:34] + Working ...
[00:34:34] - Calling 'FahCore_11.exe -dir work/ -suffix 01 -nocpulock -checkpoint 15 -verbose -lifeline 976 -version 612'

[00:34:35] 
[00:34:35] *------------------------------*
[00:34:35] Folding@Home GPU Core - Beta
[00:34:35] Version 1.07 (Mon Jun 23 10:53:13 PDT 2008)
[00:34:35] Compiler  : 
[00:34:35] Build host: amoeba 
[00:34:35] Preparing to commence simulation
[00:34:35] - Looking at optimizations...
[00:34:35] - Created dyn
[00:34:35] - Files status OK
[00:34:35] - Expanded 40833 -> 246249 (decompressed 603.0 percent)
[00:34:35] Called DecompressByteArray: compressed_data_size=40833 data_size=246249, decompressed_data_size=246249 diff=0
[00:34:35] - Digital signature verified
[00:34:35] Project: 5004 (Run 6, Clone 192, Gen 23)
[00:34:35] Assembly optimizations on if available.
[00:34:35] Entering M.D.
[00:34:41] Working on p5002_supervillin_e1
[00:34:42] Client config found, loading data.
[00:34:42] Starting GUI Server
If it does, GREAT! That means it is working! If not, please review all the steps to make sure you didn't miss anything! Please leave the client running to make sure that the second one is using the second card.

GPU1 is configured!

Running GPU2:
Since we now have everything configured except the actual client itself, we can attempt to run it! Using the shortcut we created on the desktop (very important!), double click the GPU2 shortcut. It may take a second or two, but we should get a screen labeled "Folding@home Control Panel". Fill in the username and team number. Go to the Connection tab and check the box that says "Allow receipt of work assignments and return of results greater than 10MB in size". Go to the advanced tab and check the box that says "Do NOT lock cores to specific CPU". At this time, the non-cpu locking feature is broken, although when they fix it, you will already have it setup.

Switch back to FAHMon and select GPU2 in the list and start smashing the F5 key so you can watch the client start! It should show info like this:

Code:
--- Opening Log file [July 5 00:38:08] 

# Windows Console GPU Edition #################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.12beta8

http://folding.stanford.edu

Launch directory: C:\GPU2
Arguments: -gpu 1 -verbosity 9 -local 

[00:38:19] - Ask before connecting: No
[00:38:19] - User name: thideras (Team 32)
[00:38:19] - User ID: 23B9894D0054EBD8
[00:38:19] - Machine ID: 2
[00:38:19] 
[00:38:19] Work directory not found. Creating...
[00:38:19] Could not open work queue, generating new queue...
[00:38:20] Initialization complete
[00:38:20] + Benchmarking ...
[00:38:20] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[00:38:20] + Attempting to get work packet
[00:38:20] - Autosending finished units...
[00:38:20] Trying to send all finished work units
[00:38:20] + No unsent completed units remaining.
[00:38:20] - Autosend completed
[00:38:20] - Will indicate memory of 2046 MB
[00:38:20] - Detect CPU. Vendor: GenuineIntel, Family: 6, Model: 15, Stepping: 11
[00:38:20] - Connecting to assignment server
[00:38:20] Connecting to http://assign-GPU.stanford.edu:8080/
[00:38:20] Posted data.
[00:38:20] Initial: 40AB; - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.20).
[00:38:20] + News From Folding@Home: GPU folding beta
[00:38:20] Loaded queue successfully.
[00:38:20] Connecting to http://171.64.65.20:8080/
[00:38:22] Posted data.
[00:38:22] Initial: 0000; - Receiving payload (expected size: 41345)
[00:38:22] Conversation time very short, giving reduced weight in bandwidth avg
[00:38:22] - Downloaded at ~80 kB/s
[00:38:22] - Averaged speed for that direction ~80 kB/s
[00:38:22] + Received work.
[00:38:22] + Closed connections
[00:38:22] 
[00:38:22] + Processing work unit
[00:38:22] Core required: FahCore_11.exe
[00:38:22] Core found.
[00:38:22] Working on queue slot 01 [July 5 00:38:22]
[00:38:22] + Working ...
[00:38:22] - Calling 'FahCore_11.exe -dir work/ -suffix 01 -nocpulock -checkpoint 15 -verbose -lifeline 1792 -version 612'

[00:38:23] 
[00:38:23] *------------------------------*
[00:38:23] Folding@Home GPU Core - Beta
[00:38:23] Version 1.07 (Mon Jun 23 10:53:13 PDT 2008)
[00:38:23] Compiler  : 
[00:38:23] Build host: amoeba 
[00:38:23] Preparing to commence simulation
[00:38:23] - Looking at optimizations...
[00:38:23] - Created dyn
[00:38:23] - Files status OK
[00:38:23] - Expanded 40833 -> 246249 (decompressed 603.0 percent)
[00:38:23] Called DecompressByteArray: compressed_data_size=40833 data_size=246249, decompressed_data_size=246249 diff=0
[00:38:23] - Digital signature verified
[00:38:23] Project: 5004 (Run 6, Clone 192, Gen 23)
[00:38:23] Assembly optimizations on if available.
[00:38:23] Entering M.D.
[00:38:29] Working on p5002_supervillin_e1
[00:38:30] Client config found, loading data.
[00:38:30] Starting GUI Server
GPU2 is configured!

You should now be able to just let them run. ALWAYS use the shortcuts that we created since they specify what folder to start in. FAHMon should now look like this:

fahmonfinal.png

If it is, just sit back and watch them crank out the WU's!

Last edited:
FAH SMP Client MPICH2 Install Guide

FAH SMP Client v6.23 beta MPICH2 Install Guide

• Step-by-Step Instructions:

Note: The Windows SMP Client must be installed under a user account WITH A PASSWORD. Installing the client under a user with NO PASSWORD or a BLANK PASSWORD will result in the client not functioning.

1. Install Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0 SP1 (Windows XP Only)

- download x86 version from here or the x64 version from here

2. Remove any previous FAH SMP Client Installs

- Go to Add/Remove Programs and Remove any previous SMP Client Installs. If you have a previous version setup as a service then remember to run the client with the -configonly flag and remove the service before uninstalling.

- If you needed to uninstall a previous SMP Client you will likely be asked to reboot. If so, do it now and pick up at the next step. If not asked to reboot, reboot anyway and pick up at the next step.

3. Install the Folding@Home SMP Client v6.23 beta MPICH2

- download the MPICH2 client from here

- run the self-extracting installer, you will be presented with the following dialog:

WinSMPInst1.PNG

- Click Next

WinSMPInst2.PNG

- Click Next

WinSMPInst3.PNG

- Windows XP: The Destination Directory given is OK. I prefer to shorten the path to C:\Program Files\FAHSMP\. All further examples in this guide will be run from that location.

- Windows XP 64-bit: Same as above, except be sure to install under the C:\Program Files (x86)\ Folder. For example: C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHSMP\

- Vista 32-bit or 64-bit: DO NOT INSTALL UNDER PROGRAM FILES or PROGRAM FILES (x86). It's recommended to install in either - C:\Users\[username]\ *OR* on the root of C:\. Create a sub-folder under either of those locations. Again, I like to create a Folder named FAHSMP.

examples:

• C:\Users\harlam357\FAHSMP\

• C:\FAHSMP\

- Once you've got the right Destination Directory for your OS, Click Next.

- The installer will go to work... wait for it to finish, then Click Finish.

4. Setup MPICH2

- Go to Start -> Run -> type cmd -> Click Ok.

- Vista Only: Right-Click on Command Prompt and select 'Run as administrator'.

- Navigate to the Destination Directory you chose earlier.

examples:

• type cd "\Program Files\FAHSMP" -> Press Enter

• type cd "\Users\harlam357\FAHSMP" -> Press Enter

- type install -> Press Enter - you will see the following:

Note: Windows Firewall (or any other firewall) will begin to ask questions. You need to Allow both mpiexec.exe and smpd.exe.

MPICH2 Process Manager, Argonne National Lab installed.
      account (domain\user) [(your domain)\(your username)]:

- Be sure to look at what the installer presents as (your domain)\(your username). If they look correct (i.e. 'the name of your machine'\'your current account name'), just Press Enter - you will see the following:

password:

- type your user password (the password you use to login to Windows) ;) -> Press Enter

confirm password:

- do it again... type your user password -> Press Enter

- You should now see the following messages:

Password encrypted into the Registry.
      If you see this twice, MPI is working
      Press a key to continue...

- If so, Congratulations!!! You're almost done. ;) Do not close the Command Prompt Window, you'll need it again for Step 6.

- If not, start-over -> type install -> Press Enter

5. Update your client .exe

- download the latest client .exe file from here

- Save the file in the Folder where you installed the FAH SMP Client and overwrite the file that is already there.

6. Configure the SMP Client

- type Folding@home-Win32-x86 -configonly -> Press Enter

- Here's a rundown of how I configure a client for my 'User name'. Please note that options such as 'Memory, in MB, to indicate' and 'Machine ID (1-16)' can, and most likely will, be different than mine. Every FAH client installed on a machine needs a different Machine ID to run correctly. If you have more than one FAH client installed on your machine, be sure to check the Machine ID of the other clients first to avoid any conflicts.

FAHSMP2.png

7. Run It!

Note: Anti-Virus programs can be problematic for FAH clients. Please be sure to set an exclude on your FAH Client directories.

- type Folding@home-Win32-x86 -smp -verbosity 9 -forceasm -> Press Enter

Multi VM SMP Guide

Originally written by CLUSTER:
Edited by Edward2:

This guide is for anyone running dual or quad-core computers that need Windows as their main OS, but want more PPD than the Windows SMP client can provide. The reason for this is that the Linux client is more effecient (even through a VM) and also has access to A2 WUs which seem to provide much better throughput and thus more PPD.

Before I begin, I'd like to make a couple of notes. If you can, it is better to run Linux as your main OS as you remove the overhead of the VM, obviously getting even better PPD. Now results may vary with systems and time, but after going through this myself, I went from 1100 PPD to 3-4k PPD, not a trivial increase. One more thing, make sure you have enough RAM for this. Each of the VMs uses between 768-1024mb of RAM.

Also, while this guide uses Ubuntu 8.04, you can use any Linux distro. Ubuntu is not the lightest choice, but it is the simplest to get setup on. For those that want to setup a VM in order to clone across multiple systems, a slimmer Linux install might be better, as you can get away with much less than an 8GB disk to install the OS on.

System requirements (based on running 2 VMs):
3GB of Ram
20GB HDD Space (using Ubuntu 8.04)
All your cpu cycles! :D

The basic process goes something like this:
  1. Download VMware and Ubuntu
  2. Install VMware
  3. Install Ubuntu
  4. Configure and update Ubuntu
  5. Download F@H
  6. Install VMware Tools
  7. Copy the VM
  8. Configure the client and Fold Fold Fold!

The Stuff You Need

Both VMware and Ubuntu are huge downloads. VMware is a little over 100MB, and Ubuntu is around 700MB. This will give you lots of time to skim through the guide once or twice.

1. VMware Server 150MB

A Note for Vista64 users. If you try to install VMware, it is going to complain about unsigned drivers. See Appendix I for details.

For those who might wish to take the leap to guinea pig status, VMware Server 2.0 is the latest offering. It uses a Web UI instead of a regular GUI. I haven't been successful at getting the Web UI to load, probably because I neuter my Windows installs. *shrug*

2. Ubuntu Download [700MB]
    !!! Remember to choose 64-bit !!!

It does not matter if you have a 64-bit Host OS or not. Even if you are running 32-bit Windows, the guest Linux OS needs to be 64-bit. Also it was reported there was some issue with kernel version supplied in Ubuntu 8.10. Until I hear different I'll recommend using 8.04-64bit, or until a new Ubuntu release is available to test on.

What To Do With The Stuff

1. Install VMware Server

Pretty straight forward, just install with the rest of your software. Vista64 users read Appendix I before doing this or Windows will crap on you.

2. Create directories for the VMs

You need to create a directory for each VM. I named mine C:\FAH\SMP1 and C:\FAH\SMP2.

3. Configure your VM

Startup the VMware Server Console, localhost should be highlighted, select connect, then create a new virtual machine.

Note: If when you boot up windows, and open the console to start your VMs, the localhost option is not shown, this means that the services have not started yet. It takes them a few seconds, close the console and try again in a minute.

• Select Custom install
    • The type of Guest OS is Linux -> Ubuntu-64bit.
    • Name the VM (SMP1) and select the directory you created earlier (C:\FAH\SMP1).
    • Leaving access rights and startup/shutdown at default is fine.
    • Select 2 Processors.
    • Set the amount of RAM for the VM (Min: 768, Recommended: 1024 or 1200).
    • Select Bridged Networking.
    • Create an 8GB Virtual Disk - Allocate all disk space now.
    • Name the disk whatever you like and hit finish.
    • Select your VM from the Tabs at the top if its not already. In the main window below Start this VM, click Edit this VMs settings. We want to configure a CD-Rom that points to our Ubuntu ISO. Click CD-Rom on the left, and on the right there will be an option to set the drive to read an ISO image. Select the ISO option and point it to your Ubuntu ISO.
    • Start the VM and install Ubuntu.

For the most part you should be able to select the default install setup. Selecting timezone/keyboard/language as needed. You will also create a username and password.

4. Configure and update Ubuntu

Once you're at the Ubuntu desktop, feel free to change your desktop, some people aren't too partial of the stork. :p

• Install the 32-bit math libs for F@H. Click on Applications (you should see it on the taskbar at the top), select Accessories in the list, and select Terminal. This will open the command line console. Type the folding at the prompt, and it will install the 32-bit math libs.

Code:
       > sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    • Open FireFox (you should see it on the taskbar at the top) and make your way to the Stanford F@H Page, download the latest Linux client. You should see a tarball (.tar.gz file) on your desktop.
    • Double click the archive to open the archive manager, click extract, and choose a location. I put mine in /home/[username]/FAH. Do not start the folding client until you have finished and have the second VM copied. They need to be configured separately.
    • I highly recommend that you install VMware Tools at this time. Amongst other things, it adds in time synchronization between host/guest OSes. See Appendix III for the install of this.
    • The last thing you should do is click on System (you should see it on the taskbar at the top), select Administration in the list, and select Update Manager. When the Update Manager appears, click on Check. Ubuntu will now check if there are any updates. Download and install all of the updates. You will probably have to reboot Ubuntu after installing the updates. You should repeat this process, until there are no more updates to install. By doing this now, you will not have to install any updates in your second VM.

Copying Your Stuff

Now that the hard part is over with, you're almost done. The last step is to make a copy of your new VM.

1. Stop the VM you have running already.

2. Go to the directory in Windows where you created the VM and copy all of the files over to the other directory you created. (Copy from C:\FAH\SMP1 to C:\FAH\SMP2). This may take a couple of minutes as it is copying the 8GB virtual hard drive you created.

3. Hop back into the VMware Server Console, select File > Open > Browse, point it to your second VM (C:\FAH\SMP2) and select the file that shows up. The VM will automatically assign a new name to this VM. Change the name (if needed). Now start the second VM. It will ask you if you have copied this VM and if you would like to create a new Machine ID, select create new machine ID.

4. Once you are logged into the second VM, you need to change the network HOST name of the second VM. You should click on System (you should see it on the taskbar at the top), select Administration in the list, and select Network. Click on the General TAB in the popup window that appears. You should see the HOST name of the first VM in greyed out text. Click on Unlock, and type in your password. Change the HOST name from SMP1 to SMP2 (or whatever naming convention you are using). When done, click on the Close button.

5. You should now have two VMs in VMware. Start them up and login to the VM desktop. Click on Applications (you should see it on the taskbar at the top), select Accessories in the list, and select Terminal. This will open the command line console. Change directories to the directory where you unzipped the client (cd FAH), configure the clients, and enjoy your awesome PPD.

Code:
    > cd ~/FAH
    > ./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9

6. The last thing you should do is share the folding folder in each VM, so that you can monitor them with FAHmon. Click on Places (you should see it on the taskbar at the top), and select Home Folder. Right click on the FAH folder, and select Sharing Options. In the pop-up window that appears, click on Share this Folder and give it a name, and then click on Create Share. It will now say something about needing to install Samba in order to create the share. Select all of the default choices, and the folder should now be visible from Windows.

Appendix

I - Windows Vista 64-bit notes
Windows Vista 64-bit users are going to have the problem of Windows complaining about unsigned drivers. For this you have a couple of options.

A) Use VMware Server 2.0. I did do an install of VMware 2.0 and Windows did not complain. But I have not configured a VM with it yet. In the future perhaps I will do this, or if someone else cares to, I will add the install procedure for VMware Server 2.0.

B) Before Windows starts loading, just after your bios finishes the POST routine, hit your F8 key and it will bring up an advanced boot menu. In there is an option to disable driver signature checking. The only annoying part is, you will have to do this every time you reboot. This is what I do, but I have to go through a multi-boot menu regardless.

C)For this option, you will have to perform the above operation for the install of VMware Server 1.0.x, reboot, F8, select disable driver signing, and install VMware. There is also an application that will enable 'Test Mode' for Vista64. This is designed for developers who are creating drivers that are not yet signed. It allows you to set Test Mode on which is basically the same as doing option (B). Hit up google for enabling Windows Vista64 test mode for more info.

II - Setting VMware Priority/Affinity
Once everything is up and running. Hop into Task Manager and find the two vmware-vmx.exe processes. If you use this computer, or you are also running any GPU2 clients, you'll want to set the VM's priority to Low. Otherwise you will notice some lag when you try to use the computer, or the VMs will steal CPU cycles from your GPU2 clients.

Now for affinities, its recommended to set one VM to cores 0/1 and the other VM to cores 2/3. Latest word from the new nvidia drivers is their client is using very little cpu time, so this would be a good setup even for those with nvidia gpu clients.

If you have ATI clients running, they are still using a good part of 1 core, so set both VM processes to cores 0/1/2 and let the gpu client have core 3. The gpu client may not pick up all of core 3, but there are some other processes aside from the vmware-vmx ones that the vm is using. This will pick up whats left on core 3. On my system, this is what I do, and core 3 is averaging 95-97%, while cores 0/1/2 are almost solid at 100%. I tried doing core 0/1 to one vm and just core 2 to the other, and it didnt seem to work all that hot, ymmv.

III - Setting up VMware Tools by the_cultie
1. When you have your VM open go the toolbar and click VM and select Install VMware Tools. A window will appear asking you to make sure the guest operating system is running. Click install to proceed.

2. On the guest OS desktop there should now be a DVD icon called VMware tools. Open it and extract the contents of the file called VMwareTools-1.0.8-xxxxxx.tar.gz to your Home Folder (also called [username] in the extract manager). It’s a good idea to go into the Home Folder and re-name the vmware-tools-distrib to something short like vmt as it saves some typing later on.

3. Open up Terminal and enter the following:

-> cd ~/vmt
-> sudo ./vmware-install.pl

It will then ask you to select where to install the Binary Files, Init Directories, Init Scripts, Daemon Files, Library Files, and the Documentation. For each one just press enter and they will be installed in default locations. You will then be asked if you want to configure VMware Tools; just press enter to continue.

4. When the configuration starts, you may get the following warning depending on the version of Linux you are using:

None of the pre-built vmhgfs modules for VMware Tools is suitable for your running kernel. Do you want this program to try and build the vmhgfs module for your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Just press enter and when it asks for the location of the directory of C header files just press enter again for the default location. The module is then built.
When it is finished press enter again to continue. You are then asked to select a resolution for you screen by selecting a number from the list 1-13 where each number is for a different resolution. Press enter after making you selection and VMware Tools is installed. You should then re-start Linux before continuing.

5. After restarting Linux, its time to actually configure VMware Tools to keep the time synchronized with your system time.
Open Terminal and enter the following:

-> vmware-toolbox &

This will launch the VMware Tools. On the first tab of the window that opens, you will find an option for Time Synchronization between the Virtual Machine and the Host Operating System. Click the box beside it and click close. Your time will now stay synchronized with your system time.

Last edited:

Adak's Install Guide For Ubuntu 64 bit Linux & The FAH SMP Client​

From a CD to a Hard Drive with Windows​

1) Download Ubuntu 64 bit Linux:

A. From http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download#currentrelease
This is the recommended alternate download site: http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/releases/

B. Each major version will have versions for different hardware. You want the "64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD"
version, (for PC's at least), even if you have an Intel cpu.

2) Burn the Image File You Downloaded:

A. Download the free utility program ImgBurn, from http://imgburn.com/ (click the download tab at the upper left
hand corner of the page), and install it.

B. Open the ImgBurn program, and click on the Mode tab at the top of the window. Now select "Write".

C. In the lower right side of the window, select a slow write speed; one-half the maximum write speed of your CD drive, is recommended.
It's very important that the area around the CD is free of floor or loud music vibration, while the Live CD is being written.

D. Insert a writable blank CD, and click on the "Browse for File" (Open folder), icon (not the one with a plus on it)

E. Select your CD drive in the "Destination" dialog line.

F. Click on the BIG button surrounding the green >> arrow. (has a HD and CD icons on it as well), and burn your "LIVE" Ubuntu CD.

3) Setup the CD:

A. Set the Live CD into the CD Drive, and reboot. If you see a Ubuntu logo before you reboot, just ignore it; go ahead with the reboot.

4) Answer the Set Up Questions

A. Ubuntu will reboot your rig when done. Remember your username and password! Everything in Linux is case sensitive, including passwords and filenames.

B. If set up fails, be sure to write down the error message. The Ubuntu forums are helpful and found here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/, and of course, both our forum and the FAH forum can help with both Ubuntu Linux 64 bit and the SMP client.

C. If you can't boot up from the CD drive , you may need to change your boot up sequence in your BIOS. You need the CD drive to boot *before* the HD.

5 ) Get Ubuntu Updates:

A. Connect the rig to the internet and be patient. Ubuntu will discover that connection, shortly. Then the update manager will appear, telling you "updates are available". Click to install them.

6) Get the 32 bit Libraries:

A. Click on the Ubuntu Desktop "Applications" tab, and choose "Accessories", then "Terminal" to open a terminal window to work in. Carefully keyboard in at the prompt: "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs", with no quotation marks, and press enter. You will be asked to log in, with your username and password. You'll be asked about specific
32 bit libraries, and using up disk space. Just answer yes to those questions.

B. If you have installed the 32 bit version of Ubuntu by mistake, you'll get the error: "This client only supports
64 bit Linux machines. Your machine was detected as i686 (or whatever)." You'll need to go back and d/l the
correct 64 bit version mentioned in step #1, above.

7) Create and Change into, the FAH Directory:

A. Open a Terminal Window (click on the "Applications" tab, then select "Terminal"). Enter each of these lines in the terminal window, exactly:

mkdir -p ~/FAH
cd ~/FAH

Now your /FAH directory is made, and you are in the FAH directory.

8) Get the FAH SMP Client:

A. From Stanford's download page: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download
Drag the compressed file package icon into your FAH directory.

9) Extract the Compressed File:

A. Click on "Applications", "Accessories", then "Archive Manager". Double click on the FAH directory. Select the FAH compressed file icon; then click on the "Extract" button to extract it into that directory.

10) Start the FAH SMP Client:

A. In the terminal window, enter: "./fahN -smp -verbosity 9", where "N" is the number of fah's smp client (fah6, etc.), (with no quotes - this is Stanford's recommended flags for their SMP client). SMP should not be capitalized in the startup string. Linux is totally case sensitive, so -SMP won't work.

B. Enter your name, team number 32, etc. You must choose "yes" to the big packets question to participate in the project, since all the SMP work units (WU)s, are large.

C. If you get an error message about not having permission to run that file, enter this in the terminal window:

chmod +x fahN (where N is the number of the fah client version).

Then press the up arrow key, and your previously typed command will reappear in the terminal window. Hit enter. The chmod +x tells Linux that you want this file to be able to execute.

11) Stopping the SMP Client:

A. Click anywhere on the Terminal Window, then press Ctrl + c (hold down Ctrl and press c). This is the safe way to stop the SMP client and prevent possible loss of work. Always give the client a dozen seconds or so, to stop the core threads. You'll see a few error messages from those threads - just ignore them.

B. Next time you want to fold, (like from a reboot), you will be in your home directory. Just open a Terminal Window,(click on the Applications tab, and select Terminal), and change to the /FAH directory (folder), with the entered command: "cd ~/FAH" (no quotes), and then enter:"./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9" (again, don't type the quotation marks).

12) SMP Note:

A. You must add the -smp startup option, if you want to fold SMP work units.

13) Power Saving Settings for Folding:

A. Turn off four power saving settings, to keep your Ubuntu system folding.

B. In the BIOS: the ACPID (sometimes they have other "Green" or "power saving" options, as well. I turn them off and save that setting.)

C. In Ubuntu: System >> Preferences >> Power Management. Shows two slider controls, one is for the monitor, and the second one for the computer system. Slide the one for the computer system, to "Never".

D. System >> Service Settings >> CPU. Make sure to uncheck these two service boxes: Frequency Monitor and Power Management (ACPID).

As long as Ubuntu runs great w/o the updates, I don't update it very often.

Important Notes:

1. If you want to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu, you must always install Windows before Ubuntu.

2. If your keyboard doesn't work during boot-up, turn on legacy USB support in your BIOS.

Last edited:
SMPDeino/XP/Vista
Originally written by Jolly-Swagman

HOW TO INSTALL V6.23/6.24/6.29 (DEINO) CLIENT FROM SCRATCH

• XP Install Instructions:
    1. Clear out your old directory. If you formerly had WinSMP 5.92 beta (the Deino one) then I suggest uninstalling both the WinSMP client and the DeinoMPI from Add/Remove Programs. Once that has finished, delete everything in your former WinSMP install folder.
    2. Create your folding install directory. For a single SMP instance (now recommended) use C:\Folding-SMP\FAH\\ as this allows you to run GPU folding in C:\Folding-SMP\FAH\GPU1\, C:\Folding-SMP\FAH\GPU2\ etc.
      If you want to run dual instances, then C:\Folding-SMP\FAH1\, C:\Folding-SMP\FAH2\ as I am sure you can imagine.
      (I Personally use my D: Programs Drive eg- D:\Folding-SMP\FAH )
      see pic1&2

*NOTE* In VISTA Dont RUN the Client Directly From C:\Programs Files
      pic1
      Folding-SMPpic1.jpg

pic2
      Folding-SMPpic2.jpg

pic3

Folding-SMPpic3.jpg

I suggest that you name the folder number after the machine instance that you set up in the configuration, just to keep things a bit simpler. Just remember that the first client should be \FAH1, second client should be \FAH2 etc etc
    3. Copy the contents of your unzipped archive directory, including the new EXE file. If you are running dual instances, then copy the same files into your second \FAH folder. ( see pic 3 )
    4. Run the install.bat file. This will prompt you to install DeinoMPI. Do so, accept all licences and install. Do not modify any install directories etc. Once DeinoMPI is installed, a command prompt will pop up starting the MPI service... just wait!

pic3-1

Folding-SMPpic3-1.jpg
    5. Install Bat will now ask if want to create a "credential store". Say yes (just hit enter)
    6. Install.bat will keep running, and will ask you to create a "credential store". Say Yes (just hit enter)
    7. It will ask for a private key. Hit Enter, and then it will ask for confirmation of no key. Type 'Yes' in and hit enter (the full thing not just 'y' like configuring the client!!)
    8. Now it asks whether you want to encrypt the credentials. Select Yes (just hit enter)
    9. You are now asked if you want to store the credentials in the registry or hard drive. Select Registry (just hit enter)
      If you have a USB drive plugged in ,then that will be first in the list, so choose the appropriate number for registry and then hit enter
    10. Enter your username and password you wish to run the client as (same as last version --Your Windows Login)"You MUST have a password and be signed into the account with that password"
    11. You get the 'If you see this twice, MPI is working' message and the install.bat shuts.
    12. Now we have to run the client to configure it. Before you do, set up your screen so the windows explorer window is not maximised, and you can se your desktop. Right-Click the executable, down the list you should see Send To- Click on Send to Desktop Create Shortcut, This will place a Shortcut to your desktop. Then do it again.

pic4

Folding-SMPpic7.jpg
    13. Rename one of these Shortcuts 'FAH6.24-SMP' (or " FAH1 ", depending on what you named your directories). ( see pic 4 )
      Rename the other one as 'FAH6.24-configure or FAH1-configure'.

pic5

Folding-SMPpic8.jpg

On this second shortcut, right click the shortcut, select Properties. Now, fix the target to be C:\Folding-SMP\FAH\[email protected] -configonly ( see pic 5 )
    14. Run the '-Configure' Shortcut. You are now prompted to configure the client. The suggested settings you need to put in are YELLOW, the defaults are in the [square brackets]:

Folding@Home User Configuration

User name []? (Your Folding Name )

Team Number []? 32 (As you will be Folding for Team32)

Passkey []? (if you do not have a passkey, go to http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py and get one, make sure you keep it in multiple places (email at home and work, USB key, and somewhere else backed up). Familiarise yourself with what a passkey is with the Stanford Passkey FAQ)
      Or just hit enter 9if you dont use passkey)
      Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [no]? No

Use proxy (yes/no) [no]? No (unless you have a network proxy, like some ISPs (usually dialup) and businesses/universities do, you should have the details of this proxy, if not have a look in your IE/Firefoz/Opera ect. settings. Username and Password will most likely be your Network Domain Password - the ones you log into your machine with)

Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and 'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [normal]? Big if you have a decent amount of RAM and plenty of download quota, otherwise normal is fine

Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]? yes

Launch automatically, install as a service in this directory (yes/no) [no]? no (Still not supported as a service. Do not try to run under a service unless you know what you are doing)

Core Priority (idle/low) [idle]? idle

CPU usage requested (5-100) [100]? 100

Disable highly optimized assembly code (no/yes) [no]? no

Pause if battery power is being used (useful for laptops) (no/yes) [no]? no

Interval, in minutes, between checkpoints (3-30) [15]? 15

Memory, in MB, to indicate (XXXX available) [XXXX]? Whatever XXXX happens to be (set it to maximum unless you have a reason not to, or know what you are doing)
      (XXXX) eg: 2048MB 0r 1024MB

Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced scientific cores and/or work units if available (no/yes) [no]? yes

Ignore any deadline information (mainly useful if system clock frequently has errors) (no/yes) [no]? no (but can be changed... not recommended though)

Machine ID (1-16) [1]? 1 (set ID # accordingly to the number of clients etc [1] [2])

The following options require you to restart the client before they take effect

Disable CPU affinity lock (no/yes) [no]? no

Additional client parameters. []? -smp -deino -forceasm -verbosity 9 (very important to do this here....please add at least this, more if you know what you are doing)

IP address to bind core to (for viewer). Hit enter to clear []? (just hit enter... forget the viewers.... they are very buggy and the SMP does not come with one anyway)
    15. Okay, now that configure will close and we are ready to run the client. So open the 'FAH6.24-SMP' (or " FAH1 ", depending on what you named your directories). shortcut and let it rip!!! It should pick up a unit and start crunching.
      Add firewall exceptions if they pop up. Also add an exception to your AntiVirus/Spyware programs to NOT scan the Folding FAH/ directories
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Vista 32bit Install Instructions
    1. First, create a new folder on C:\Users\[username]\ or on the root of C:\ (what matters here is to not put it in C:\Program Files\ to avoid issues with permissions, especially under Vista) with a simple name without spaces or special characters. A good suggestion is to name it FAH. The reason for this suggestion is because Vista has some strict restrictions when a program is run from the Program Files folder. Doing this will avoid lots of issues.

*NOTE* In VISTA Dont RUN the Client Directly From C:\Programs Files

After you downloaded it, you will see a package in .zip format so you need to unpack it to the folder you created above. With Windows Explorer, browse to the folder you just unzipped the client and you will see a bunch of files like this :
    2. To make the following steps easier to do, it's suggested to rename the executable to something easy to remember and to type like fah6.exe (right-click on the executable file, select Rename and change to a new name).

DEINO Configuration
    3. Open the Command Prompt window by clicking on the Start menu then type cmd.exe on the Run box and click on Ok. If you are under Vista, you must run it with the Run as administrator option or you will not have sufficient rights to complete the following steps (to get this, right-click on Command Prompt icon then select Run as administrator). With Windows XP, it's sufficient to run cmd.exe as is.

Here is what it should look under Vista (typed cmd.exe then right-click on it) :
      WinSMPRunAs.png
    4. You can use CD to change the directory and type D:\ (or any other letter) to change the drive if the client is not installed on C:\ by default. With those commands, move to the folder you created earlier (C:\FAH in our example). When you are here, type install.bat and you will get the installer messages (in a command prompt) like that :

C:\FAH>install.bat

C:\FAH>msiexec /i DeinoMPI.msi

This will start the installation of the DEINO MPI client. You will see a dialog box like this :

WinSMPDeino2.png
    5. Just press Next to get the next window :

WinSMPDeino3.png
    6. Check to accept the license terms and click Next to enter the path :

WinSMPDeino4.png
    7. Unless you want to install in a different place, you should leave the default path there and press Next. The next window will just confirm the options so press Next once more to install it. When it's done, press Finish to close it. The batch will then present you with the credentials store installation and configuration below.

C:\FAH>create_credential_store true

This program creates a Credential Store for the current user.
      The credential store contains a public and private security key
      and zero or more secure user credentials.
      Deino MPI uses this store to establish secure connections between machines
      and store sensitive information like user credentials.

Do you want to create a new store (yes, no)? [yes]

Press enter since we want to create a new credentials store

Please enter a passphrase to protect the private key:

Don't enter anything, just press enter since we don't want to use a passphrase.

Are you sure you want no password for the private key (yes,no)? [no]
      yes

Type yes and press enter to confirm we don't want a passphrase.

Options for encrypting the private key:
      protect - Use the ProtectedData.Protect/Unprotect methods to encrypt.
      none - Do not encrypt.
      Please enter a method to encrypt the private key: [protected]

Just press enter since protect is what we wanted.

Available locations to create the store:
      (1) Windows Registry
      (2) Hard drive
      Where would you like to create the store (1,2): [1]

Press enter again since we want it to be stored in the registry. If you have a removable media plugged, the available locations list will be different (the removable media entry will be (1) so select (2) instead for the Windows Registry).

Credential store written to the Windows Registry.

C:\FAH>manage_credentials /add
      Enter the account name: [COMPUTERNAME\Username]
      Enter the account password:
      Enter the password again to verify:

Accept the account name by pressing enter and enter your Windows password twice here. If you need to use a different username (like a local windows account instead of a domain account), change the information first.

C:\FAH>net start deinopm
      The DeinoMPI process manager service service is starting.
      The DeinoMPI process manager service service was started successfully.

C:\FAH>mpiexec -np 2 foo

C:\FAH>

When the line mpiexec -np 2 foo is executed, you may get a firewall popup asking you to allow or deny mpiexec.exe. Make sure you allow it or it won't run properly. When you are done, you should see the If you see this twice, MPI is working being displayed twice. If you don't see this or you see a different error, check why and fix this before retrying. If it is running correctly, continue with the client configuration below.
    8. Client configuration

The next step is to configure it by typing the following command (if you used a different one, use the correct name) :

fah6 -configonly

You will see a list of configuration options. Here is an sample with an explanation about each option :

Launch directory: C:\FAH
      Executable: fah6
      Arguments: -configonly

(See Quote Box above For Configuring Client for Team32)

Note: Under Windows, antivirus software can interfere with the Folding@Home client files and cause errors. We suggest that you configure the antivirus software to exclude the F@H client directory and especially the work directory inside of it from the antivirus scanning list. This can be done by going into the exclusion list panel that every antivirus should have. The work subdirectory contains semi-random binary data and can confuse overly aggressive heuristic virus scanning.
Updated 06-02-2010

Last edited:
GPU2 Systray Client
Originally written by nitteo
Edited by ChasR on 15 APR 09

1st Check if your GPU is here, nVidia Cuda Enabled GPU Products:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

*IMPORTANT* BEFORE PART 1 UNINSTALL CURRENT NVIDIA DRIVER.*IMPORTANT* It is recommended that you use Driver Cleaner or Driver Sweeper, run in safe mode without networking, to fully remove the existing driver.

PART 1

1. Download the latest WHQL driver from this site:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Choose your Card Family and OS Version (XP x86 x64, Vista x86 x64) then download the driver to the directory of your choice.

Note: If you download the driver before running Driver Cleaner, there is a good chance DC will find it and delete it

2. Open the folder that contains the WHQL driver and double click on the Installer. Follow instructions.

4. Reboot.

PART 2

Download Riva Tuner from:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Follow instructions to install.

Overclock the GPU. I have my 8800GT 512mb @ 600/1836/900 Stable. For FAH, only the Shader OC matters. You should unlink the shaders and adjust them. Shaders OC in 54 MHz or 36 MHz (GTX285) steps, depending on the card, regardless of what you set or GPU-Z reports. Core and Memory can be underclocked 10% without affecting folding performance to save power and reduce heat emmissions. Use nVidia nTune or rthdribl to check for stability while overclocking.

PART 3

Download F@H:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...ystray-623.msi

Follow instructions, fill in your info.

***FOR THOSE Running with 1x SMP. Right Click on the Client on your taskbar. Go to Configure. Go to Advanced Tab. Check "Slightly higher priority if other DC applications are stopping Folding@home" (Thanks Dfonda)

PART 4

Download Fahmon:

http://fahmon.net/

1. Install fahmon and update project list.

2a. (Vista) To point it to the GPU folder, SEARCH for APPDATA. In AppData locate the folder that says ROAMING. In Roaming find Folding@home-gpu folder. Right click on folder and copy location into the Fahmon.

2b. (XP) Point Fahmon to C:\Documents and Settings\{user name here}\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu (Thanks Raptord)

***DO NOT USE THE DISPLAY! IT LAGS TREMENDOUSLY and CRASHES(BSOD) sometimes.***

Windows 7(Beta) GPU notes on installing and Networking.
Originally written by dfonda

Gpu client for Windows 7(Beta)Some of these should be done for the other Clients used in
Windows 7(beta) as well.

Before starting GPU installation.

1. In control panel select "Folder Options" View tab in Advanced options check the "the

show hidden folders" box.

2. Also In Control panel in "Power options" in "Change Plan settings" for Hard drive
select never. So it doesn't shut off.

3. Follow the Win XP/Vista directions for installing.

Note on the Deino install, Number 9 should read:

9) You are now asked if you want to store the credentials in the registry or hard drive. Select Registry (just hit enter)

If you have a USB drive plugged in ,then that will be first in the list, so choose the appropriate number for registry and then hit enter

The Gpu client will install in C/Users/"YourUsername"/AppData/Roaming/Folding@HomeGpu
(If you did not unhide it the AppData folder will be hidden).

It automatically added the exe shortcut to startup so if you do not want the client to start on boot, remove it.

Also to monitor the client across your network including Win XP and Vista:

4. In Control Panel Select System and click the Advanced System settings tab

Give the rig a description

Click the "change" box to rename your workgroup.

Make it whatever your network workgroup name is for example "MSHOME"

You will need to restart.

You should be able to see all your other machines and monitor the Folding@Homegpu

client.

Last edited:
The SMP/VMWare guide by LeeLegend is way out-of-date and should be removed in favor of the Multi-VM Guide written by Cluster and currently maintained by Edward2. :)

Contents:
  • Post 10: GPU2/Windows 7 notes -- dfonda

Thanks are due to all members who contributed to these guides. Please feel free to submit additions/amendments to these at the bottom of the thread.

Excellent thread. My first Kubunto/SMP setup followed one of these threads a few years back.

Being that some of these How To's are kind of long (and some of us are lazy b*tards ;)), any chance of editing the first post to add links to each of the posts farther down the page? The newbs that really need these would be ever so appreciative. :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'll take a look this afternoon and see about adding some links and tidying things up :)

Making VGA-Dummy Plugs
By Jolly-Swagman

When running Multiple GPU's in one System, especially in Vista or Win 7 you need to have
extra Monitors hooked up to the GPU's in order to have them GPU- Folding@home

Now if you Dont have extra Monitors connected to the GPU's another way is to Fool the OS in thinking there is one there.

Now the way to do this is via a VGA Dummy Plug, connected to the GPU via a DVI-VGA Adaptor.

This is how it is done

First we need a few items

3 x 75 ohm resistors
Soldering Iron & Solder
A Easy Hands Soldering Stand (If you have one, make life simpler)
VGA plugs and casing
DVI-VGA Adaptors ( 1 x for each Dummy Plug used )

The Items
MakingVGA-DummyPlugs.jpg

Now we need to Solder 3 x 75ohm Resistors into the Rear of the VGA Plug see pinouts diagram below

1.jpg

Pin Name Description
1 RED Red Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)
2 GREEN Green Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)
3 BlUE Blue Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)
6 RGND Red Ground
7 GGND Green Ground
8 BGND Blue Ground

Now we should have something resembling like this

Soldering75ohmresistorstoVGAPlug.jpg

I usually put some shrink tube on so there is no fear in getting a short circuit

Then we pop the VGA Plug Shell Casing on

4.jpg

Now we have our DVI-VGA Adaptor and our newly made VGA Dummy Plug

DVI-VGAandDummyPlug.jpg

Pop then together like so

DummyPludattachedtoDVIAdapter.jpg

Now you are ready to install onto your GPU- Video Card

Also here is another quick way, of Utilising DVI-VGA Adaptor to make a makshift Dummy Plug, wherby we just bend Resistors and pop them into the back-side of the VGA Adaptor.

AnotherversionofDummyPlug.jpg

This Method is useful for quick testing but the Preferred above Soldered Method for Long term use!

Hope this has been useful to you!

Thnk You

JS

Contents:
  • Post 10: GPU2/Windows 7 notes -- dfond

Small feedback item, but perhaps consolidate this to one thread and create links to each section? OCD, but it'd look cleaner. :D

Example:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646391 (IMOG)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6643018 (Jmtyra)

Either way, excellent guides! :thup:

Back