• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G1 Sniper Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

Pulled the mobo box out today and heard something rolling around inside box. It is the cap from the corner of the mobo. Will post a couple pics. If anyone here came help me find out what the cap is for, and if the mobo will run without it I would truly appreciate the help. Infoon top of cap.
E ONH
6.3v

Pics.

Almost certainly some sort of decoupling cap, I would say that the odds are good the board will function without it. It looks like it is on the vcc for that ITE chip there.

Nah, that cap is dead. Internally there may well be a short circuit now, if there is it'll be POW when it gets voltage.

See if it'll run, if it won't then you can solder a new cap on (or I can for you).
I bet it works fine as-is.

Nah, that cap is dead. Internally there may well be a short circuit now, if there is it'll be POW when it gets voltage.

See if it'll run, if it won't then you can solder a new cap on (or I can for you).
I bet it works fine as-is.

Will set up bench and pull my chip from main and find out. Thanks.

Not sure all what functions ITE chips serve, but what comes to mind first is they do something for monitoring voltage/temps and stuff. I wonder if it would fail to boot if that chip isn't getting the power it needs as a result of that cap being busted. Like OCP or temp protection kicks in, causing it to fail POST.

I checked out stevenb's forum review, as he usually labels all the chips and stuff, but that ITE chip near the DIMM slots wasn't labeled. The other 2 ITE chips on the g1 sniper 2 did hardware voltage/temp/fan monitoring and provided ps2/comm support.

Last edited:
It'll still have power, the power just won't be as clean.
If the voltages read in HWMonitor are totally out to lunch, that's the likely culprit.

It runs. I set vcore to 1.350 in bios and cpu-z reads 1.328 under load and idle.
Only thing I found that does not work is the USB 3.0 front adapter, which of course is one of the reasons I wanted this mobo. Audio, all other usb ports
seem to work fine.

Front USB3 chip should be way south of that cap, is there any damage in the general area of the usb3 connector?

If it was in gigabyte's packaging I would RMA it, their defective packaging caused a defect in their board.

Front USB3 chip should be way south of that cap, is there any damage in the general area of the usb3 connector?

If it was in gigabyte's packaging I would RMA it, their defective packaging caused a defect in their board.

The plug is really loose. No damage .

I'd definitely see if I could convince them to RMA the thing, dead USB ports are an issue IMO.

It is the adapter, if I wiggle the end where my hdd is plugged in it works, but as soon as I let go it stops working.

the adapter that came with the mobo, or the adapter that came with case to mobo header? (I never so much as looked at the accessories in the box)

ironically, its too bad this wasn't the first g1 sniper I sent to bobnova. fixing the cap would have been easy peasy for him. lol

the adapter that came with the mobo, or the adapter that came with case to mobo header? (I never so much as looked at the accessories in the box)

ironically, its too bad this wasn't the first g1 sniper I sent to bobnova. fixing the cap would have been easy peasy for him. lol

It comes with mobo. It's a 2 port USB 3.0 adapter that is mounted to a 3.5 Drive bay adapter to mount in front of cases.

I would just replace it tbh. Caps are the easiest parts to replace on a board. Bring it to an electronics store and find the same cap, heat up the solder points on the back with your iron and the legs will come out. Then put in the new cap and solder it in.

Installed mobo in my gaming case, running a a Kingston 120gb SSD with OS, 2x 650gb sata drives with games on one and files on second. Question I have is should the SSD be plugged into one of the GSata3 ports? I have it plugged into a standard sata port which are set to IDE status in bios. Last night for some reason the system restarted itself and when I turned on monitor it was the black screen saying boot device could not be found. I shut power of and then restarted and it booted from SSD. I have also noticed my wireless internet adapter which is plugged into one of the 3.0 usb ports in back of mobo will drop out once and awhile I have to pull plug and plug back in and it will start working.
Any advice is appreciated.
BTW other then these couple things, mobo runs great. Love that I now can have my Klipsch 5.1 system plugged straight into mobo.:D

Back