• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Atheros AR5005G Wireless Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
I just bought a brand new Toshiba Tecra Celeron M notebook from newegg.com. It has a Atheros AR5005G Wireless mini-pci card in it. For some reason it does not want to aquire an IP address. I can connect to my AP with 128Bit WEP and I have full signal strenth, but no IP address gets assigned and then fails with a message of "limited or no conductivity". For ha ha's, I installed a netgear PC card just to verify it was not the notebook having problems, and it worked fine. I fully uninstalled the driver, rebooted, re-installed and the problem still exists. Any help on this matter would be great.

Joe

Interesting update:

When I disable WEP on the Access Point, the notebook can aquire and IP address with no issues.

So I guess there is a incompatability issue with Atheros & linksys when doing WEP.

JCLW said:
What Linksys AP?

As Newman mentioned WEP is pointless - just google "wep crack"

Update the Linksys firmware, and use WPA2 - Personal.

You'll need this MS Update (you should probably get it regardless): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021

I have a WAP55AG AP. But when I go to linksys there are two version types. How do I know what I have?

I currently have firmware version 1.1.

Edit: I figured it out. I used Pre-shard key and all worked. I guess WEP does not work with older cards with SP2

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back