• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your Guide to Setting Up a HLDS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok i have had a l4d2 server up and running without many problems for about a month now. but everytime i start the server i get this warning:
"WARNING: NET_OpenSocket: bind: WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL
Trying to open socket on ***.***.*.**
Socket bind failed <WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL>
Network: IP **.**.**.**, mode MP, dedicated Yes, ports 27016 SV / 0 CL"
now the server runs fine and everything goes fine after that.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

nm figured it out. had to change the "+ip **.**.**.**" to "+hostip **.**.**.**" in my startup command.

Last edited:
i tried setting up my own HLDS server but got error at the very primitive stage itself,the stage where we are supposed to create a shortcut of hlds on our desktop and edit the properties...etc etc...i did it exactly the same (instead i am trying it out with cstrike instead of czero since i have cs 1.6 non steam installed )...when i double click on the shortcut over the desktop i get the screen as shown in the image...can ne 1 plz help me out?? ..
errorscreen.png

neglect downloadin at the background...was updating anti virus :p

Last edited:
i need help

DUDE i NEED your help

i have 80gb hard drive
3ghz procesor
1.5gb ram
490kbbs my internet upload speed
intel p4 is my procesor

as soon as my server reaches 12 slots server pings goes high till 400 each player....
what to do now
please help

:( :( :( :( :(

I gave up on HLDS for L4D2 after for some reason the zombies started getting choppy... even though I did updates and my bandwidth is perfectly fine... enough RAM, resources, etc. That was maybe late Spring...

I do kinda wanna try again though...

DUDE i NEED your help

i have 80gb hard drive
3ghz procesor
1.5gb ram
490kbbs my internet upload speed
intel p4 is my procesor

as soon as my server reaches 12 slots server pings goes high till 400 each player....
what to do now
please help

:( :( :( :( :(

your problem is your upload speed you need atleast a 3meg upload speed for that big of a server trying lowering it to 4 or 6 or less and see if its any better

dude thanx for advice but i think if i change my procesor and make hd 500gb with 4gb ram will there b any diff ??

dude thanx for advice but i think if i change my procesor and make hd 500gb with 4gb ram will there b any diff ??

nope you can have the best computer in the world, but if you dont have a good internet connection its not going to matter, my computer for instance is in my sig, now i have a laptop with a busted screen thats basicly the same thing, but i have a 15meg download speed and a 3meg upload speed

which means i can host server with up to 16 players and believe me i have, im currently running a jedi academy server, a battlefront 2 server, a freelancer server and soon a battlefield2142 server and i can only do it thanks to my connection speed

take a read at this this will explain some things http://superuser.com/questions/23195/low-bandwidth-game-server-for-hosting-at-home

Remove Non-admin`s inmunity

well if anybody has questions or comments along the way, or get errors please post about it so i can see if i can resolve and add it to the troubleshooting section.

Hi, first of all i would like to congratulate you on writing the BEST guide i have found in a whole week. I have succesfully setup a server and i have one tiny but bothersome problem. I want to be able to slap/slay/change team/etc... and i am already an admin with access to amxmodmenu and stuff but when i try to slap someone, it tells me i cant because the have inmunity. I have tried to do it to non-admin users while i am the Full Admin, i would like to know how to remove that inmunity from them. Thanks, hope to hear from you soon.

Anyone know how to kick someone from the HLDS command line console? Some people have really crazy names with funky characters. I thought there is an ID # next to the person's name that is unique (that the server assigns)...

Anyone know how to kick someone from the HLDS command line console? Some people have really crazy names with funky characters. I thought there is an ID # next to the person's name that is unique (that the server assigns)...

you should have a STEAM ID associated with your account, its also static. as well i think you can do RCON commands on your console? i would imagine atleast, or use the syntax minus rcon?

its been ages since i had setup a HDLC

you should have a STEAM ID associated with your account, its also static. as well i think you can do RCON commands on your console? i would imagine atleast, or use the syntax minus rcon?

its been ages since i had setup a HDLC

I'll have to play around. I tried to do it with a steam_id but that didn't work when I tried the other day.

HL2DM?

How about HL2Dm? I see nothing about the install through the updater about the actual Hal Life files? I can't seem to find it anywhere how to setup a Hal Life2 Dm Server most people talk about Css or CZero. I know it's not the most popular but if anyone could help me with this it'd be gretly appriciated.:salute:

Hello Sir ,
My progress is stuck at "MASTER REQUEST RESTART" Your server is out of date , please update and restart..

I look over internet for al solution but i couldn't get any solution work for me!!:(..

Can you help me in this?.

Regards
Nirav Patel

well if anybody has questions or comments along the way, or get errors please post about it so i can see if i can resolve and add it to the troubleshooting section.
i am getting a problem when i do as u say update with my steam account i get a problem known as unknown parameters then i tried to update without using username as given in readme of hldsupdatetool. it works but at last no file is created in folder specified in -dir its an empty folder.but it shows updated in cmd last line.please help me

Back