• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet Fraud Information and Complaint Links

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZeroAquaduct

I'll be updating this post from time to time, whenever I get additional information. This post is still a work-in-progress, so if you have additional information, please email or PM me.

===== UPDATED: 08/24/05 =====

USA

Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) Online Complaint Form Available
This is the main Internet crime report centre in the USA. It is part of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).
www.ifccfbi.gov

Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Online Complaint Form Available
The Bureau of Consumer Protection protects consumers against "unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent practices" from businesses. It also has the Bureau of Competition and the Bureau of Economics for antitrust and other violations.
www.ftc.gov

U.S. Postal Inspection Service Online Complaint Form Available
This is the main mail fraud report centre in the USA. It covers only violations committed through the U.S. Mail.
www.usps.com/postalinspectors

Better Business Bureau (BBB) Online Complaint Form Available
There are lots of information on frauds and scams, plus an online complaint form to report fraudulent activities.
www.bbb.org

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
There are lots of information about frauds and scams, and how you can protect your identity and credit card information from thieves.
www.fbi.gov

National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C)
Similar to the FBI website above, there are lots of information about frauds and scams, and how you can protect your identity and credit card information from thieves.
www.nw3c.org

Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section (CCIPS) of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice
Another website with lots of information about frauds and scams, and how you can protect your identity and credit card information from thieves.
www.cybercrime.gov

Canada

Reporting Economic Crime On-Line (RECOL) Online Complaint Form Available
This is the main Internet crime report centre in Canada. It is partnered with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), and the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC). The IFCC is part of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).
www.recol.ca

Phonebusters Online Complaint Form Available
This is the main fraud report centre in Canada, dealing mainly with identity fraud, cheque overpayment fraud, phishing, and other types of fraud (both online and offline). It is operated by the RCMP and the OPP.
www.phonebusters.com

Competition Bureau Online Complaint Form Available
This is the Canadian equivalent of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). It covers only violations of the Competition Act, the Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act, the Textile Labelling Act, and the Precious Metals Marking Act.
www.competitionbureau.gc.ca

Canadian Council of Better Business Bureaus (CCBBB) Online Complaint Form Available
This is the Canadian branch of the Better Business Bureau (BBB). It has lots of information on frauds and scams, plus information on how you can contact your local BBB if you're a scam victim.
www.canadiancouncilbbb.ca

Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
There are lots of information about frauds and scams, and how you can protect your identity and credit card information from thieves.
www.rcmp.ca

Ontario Provincial Police (OPP)
Similar to the RCMP website above, there are lots of information about frauds and scams, and how you can protect your identity and credit card information from thieves.
www.opp.ca

International (including cross-border transactions)

econsumer.gov Online Complaint Form Available
www.econsumer.gov

Troll Hunters
www.trollhunters.com

Last edited:
this is really helpful.. i just wanted to know..
what would happen to a vendor if it were to be complained at?

Fraud Alex Dumas!!!

Hello,My name is jim i was ripped off by that Alex Dumas dip @%!& i mailed him two money orders.They were western union.Who do i get in contact about that kind of fraud and mail fraud?He has disconnected his phone and is not responding to my emails?And of course hasnt sent the goods i have paid for?
THX,any advice would be great?
Jim

p.s.s.s my cousin is with the FBI maybe he could help?

Re: Fraud Alex Dumas!!!

jkimfish001 said:
Hello,My name is jim i was ripped off by that Alex Dumas dip @%!& i mailed him two money orders.They were western union.Who do i get in contact about that kind of fraud and mail fraud?He has disconnected his phone and is not responding to my emails?And of course hasnt sent the goods i have paid for?
THX,any advice would be great?
Jim

p.s.s.s my cousin is with the FBI maybe he could help?

Was this transaction done in the U.S.? Is Alex Dumas operating in the U.S.? If yes, then you might want to file a Mail Fraud Complaint at the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.

I would recommend that you urge others who have been ripped off by the same individual to file a complaint as well. The more compaints the U.S. Postal Inspection Service have, the more information they'll have to catch this individual.

I'm not too familiar with the FBI process, but he's definately a good source to talk to for advice.

Actually, I don't recommend that you visit this individual. Although I would like to beat the crap out of the rippers myself, it's illegal and it's not a safe option. You should get proper authorities to handle this situation.

I think its illegal to do crime through the mail (including fraud)

Im pretty sure it carries stiffer penalties then say... doing it in person

Maloso said:
I think its illegal to do crime through the mail (including fraud)

Im pretty sure it carries stiffer penalties then say... doing it in person

Yes, it's an offence to steal money, whether it's online or in person. But stealing online is harder to catch than in person, since information and evidence becomes an issue.

That's why I usually recommend that buyers use a third-party payment system, like PayPal or Email Money Transfer (in Canada), instead of giving out credit card information. Third-party payment systems will be able to provide more information to the proper authorities to catch these individuals.

Aren't money orders traceable to whomever cashed them? Obviously the bank has records of them accepting these money orders. If you ask me Alex is a Dumbass.

Deagle said:
Aren't money orders traceable to whomever cashed them? Obviously the bank has records of them accepting these money orders. If you ask me Alex is a Dumbass.

It depends on the money order. For example, if you send a postal money order issued by Canada Post or by the USPS, and the receiver cashes it at the post office, you'll probably have a tough time tracing that.

My mom got frauded by BBB. A sales man came to her beauty shop and told her to buy a interact machine for accepting credit cards. She said she was going to get one, so she signed the papers and gave a check for the machines. Later on the guy came back to the beauty shop and used someone else to pose as my mom for voice verifcication to buy another one. She didn't know this and turns out he lied that he was going to give her 1.21% when it was 1.69%. She called the carrd he gave her and now it was the guys brother, he said he fired him cause he was doing stuff like that, and that he can't do nothing but cancel the account. Someone told my mom to send the machines back for money back (don't know why she did this) and now she has no machines and they didn't give money back. She now has bad credit and has to pay $3000 for the machines cause of the fraud guy. I could post his name if you live in Atlanta area.

Back