Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

NCCH-DL Xeon Heatsink?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-25-05, 01:59 AM Thread Starter   #1
trigger_sad

NCCH-DL Xeon Heatsink?

Hey, I've just purchased 2 x 1.6GHz Xeon LV C1s off of the classifieds (havent shipped yet), i'm ordering the NCCH-DL soon and will be planning on overclocking (have to use NCCH-DL over PC-DL because i need PCI-X support for my raid 5 card). I read that the stock IWT will not fit these, or will require modding. What aftermarket coolers do you recommend that will work with this board, a link would be very helpful, thank you very much. (if theres a good mod site on how to modify the IWTs to fit the NCCH-DL that would work as well).

Workstation
Asus Sabertooth X79 / Core i7 3820 Sandy @ 4Ghz / 32GB RipJaws X DDR 3 1600 / PNY Quadro 4000 2GB / OCZ RevoDrive 3 PCIe 120GB / 2 x 2TB WD Green Raid 1 / Coolermaster SilentPro 1000W / Lian Li A05NB / 27" Hanns-G HL272HPB

heat
trigger_sad is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-25-05, 03:45 PM   #2
Ad Rock

You can actually run Xeon heatsinks that are designed to run with the Nocona based Xeon's on your NCCH-DL. They are much better heatsinks than the wind tunnels IMO since they are made out of solid copper and should do a much better job of cooling down your C1's. You can also get them for about the same price on eBay as the standard IWT's.

Just do a search on ebay for Xeon Heatsink and then look for the word Nocona in the description of the item.

Or you can just buy two from this guy on eBay.

Heatware:
Ad Rock is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-25-05, 10:26 PM   #3
Lord_Anubis

I have 1.6 d1 lv's on a NCCH-Dl and I use Thermalright SI-9XV (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thsiforinxep.html), running 2 instances of F@H and instance of Grid I get temps of 40-42 celsius. I have another set of D1's and another set of these heatsink, just looking for a DH800. I had Swiftech MCX603-V with 604 hardware and was getting temps of 49-54 celsius.

edit: fix pic

Last edited by Lord_Anubis; 12-26-05 at 10:45 PM.
Lord_Anubis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-25-05, 11:21 PM   #4
godofgorks

i have the swiftech mcx604-x and running highly oc'd d1 (3.2 ghz @ 1.55v they ran high 50's C. This was during the summer time. Ambient was ~35C ?

As adrock said, the stock nocona heatsinks do the job very good for their price.

my HEAT
godofgorks is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-26-05, 09:34 AM Thread Starter   #5
trigger_sad

Thanks alot guys, i'll pick up a pair of the nocona coolers or i'll even take a look at the thermalright coolers which look pretty good, whichever i can get for a better price.

Workstation
Asus Sabertooth X79 / Core i7 3820 Sandy @ 4Ghz / 32GB RipJaws X DDR 3 1600 / PNY Quadro 4000 2GB / OCZ RevoDrive 3 PCIe 120GB / 2 x 2TB WD Green Raid 1 / Coolermaster SilentPro 1000W / Lian Li A05NB / 27" Hanns-G HL272HPB

heat

Last edited by trigger_sad; 12-26-05 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-26-05, 04:59 PM   #6
penquissciguy

If you're still looking, the CoolerMaster E3W-NPTXS-04 is a great heatsink for the NCCH-DL as well. It's a 3U passive heatsink with heatpipes that cools really well with an 80 mm fan blowing through it.

Ken

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Heatware
penquissciguy is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-26-05, 06:46 PM   #7
Lord_Anubis

Quote:
Originally Posted by penquissciguy
If you're still looking, the CoolerMaster E3W-NPTXS-04 is a great heatsink for the NCCH-DL as well. It's a 3U passive heatsink with heatpipes that cools really well with an 80 mm fan blowing through it.
I originally was looking for a set of these but could not find them in Canada and OrbMicro says that Coolermaster discontinued them http://store.orbitmicro.com/commerce...=1108933584781

Maybe you can find these used but I couldn't and so went the thermalright (had to lap one) route.
Lord_Anubis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-26-05, 07:01 PM   #8
penquissciguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Anubis
I originally was looking for a set of these but could not find them in Canada and OrbMicro says that Coolermaster discontinued them http://store.orbitmicro.com/commerce...=1108933584781

Maybe you can find these used but I couldn't and so went the thermalright (had to lap one) route.
Wow, didn't realize that. It's too bad, as they are killer sinks for this application. I only hope the replacements they come out with perform as well.

Ken

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Heatware
penquissciguy is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-26-05, 10:06 PM Thread Starter   #9
trigger_sad

Many thanks to Ad Rock, thanks for the ebay link, bought both of the nocona sinks from that ebayer. .

Workstation

heat

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.