• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Corsair Obsidian 800D Case Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Corsair Obsidian 800D Case Review
by EarthDog

We all know the popular brand name Corsair for making Memory, Power Supplies, cooling, and even some storage items. They have done a more than admirable jobs in those areas as well. Now, Corsair hasdipped its toes into the computer case market. Judging from the size and looks of this beast, it wasn't a dip, but a head-first dive. Let's take a more in-depth look at this case.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

To start off, this case is very large and robust. In fact it dwarfs my old Antec 1200 by 2” in height and depth and 1/2” in width. Weighing in at around 38lbs empty, its black brushed aluminum shell and steel internals remind me a bit of a Skunk works type project from the USAF instead of a mere computer case. The interior shows a gratuitous amount of grommeted holes for cable management. It also has isolated cooling compartments for the power supply, hot-swappable SATA bays and mainboard area. Another great feature on this case is that the motherboard tray has a removable CPU back plate panel for easy heat sink installation. The accessory panel is on the top of this case and features a touch open/close door. Behind the door hides four USB, audio (mic/headphones), firewire, and the reset button. One item I did not notice that would have been a nice addition for a high-end case was an eSATA port. The power button and hard drive activity light (white LED) sit outside the panel, just to the left. A large plexiglass side window allows the user to show off what is likely to be an aesthetically pleasing interior with all parts mounted and wires tucked away.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Earthdog - I'm not up to date on the latest cases, but I was really impressed to see how cable management was handled here. It's dead easy.

W00t! The article looks great!!! Thanks for the help there!

I love this monster. I told myself in the past I would never pay more than $100 for a case. I now know the many reasons why you should pay good money for a case. I love this thing.

Cable management is absolutely the best I have seen and definately used. Im a stickler for a clean looking setup and this allowed me to do so very easily.

I once stated I would never pay more than $30 for a mere case...

I later claimed I would never pay more than $80 for a mere case...

I later decided I would never pay more than $130 for a mere case...

This guy might be next in the series... ^_^;

Why pay over $350 for a great case, when you can pay $40 and get a crappy one!? =)

No seriously though... the Obsidian 800D is definitely rivaling some of Lian Li's bests... I think I actually like it more then most of LL's cases. Awesome article =)

Now if I could only get $400 and not spend it on stupid stuff...

Not a big fan of expensive cases either but it is very nice looking. Also the incorporated sata backplane probably adds to the value of the case without adding that much to the cost.

wow im :drool: over that case. So many wonderful things, the backplane, the backplate door for cpu coolers which are always such a pain to mount. The seperate compartments and the abundance of holes to run cables through. Man I want that case so badly just wish I had enough money to get that case and still another i7 rig xD

Guargh I want this case! I should be happy with my HAF but everything from the hot swapable drives to the sheer size of this thing appeals to me...
Still contemplating but it looks like I'm slowly being persuaded =P If I get money from a tax return or something it's mine (fat chance these days)

Guargh I want this case! I should be happy with my HAF but everything from the hot swapable drives to the sheer size of this thing appeals to me...
Still contemplating but it looks like I'm slowly being persuaded =P If I get money from a tax return or something it's mine (fat chance these days)

Ya tell me about it, my accountant said he made a mistake when he filled so I should be getting a refund... instead I get a notice saying I owe more... *strangles*

I am soo buying this thing next!

I just hope I can come up with the cash for this and get started on my liquid setup and still be able to finish the current engine im building as well.

Ive been looking for a clean non cheesy looking and functional case for a while now that fix my needs and I believe this is definitely it. I discovered it a couple of weeks ago and while reading a review of the features I found myself repeatedly saying "No Way!".

Props Corsair, I am impressed.

I love this case, but the price is a bit too rich for my blood at the moment. I also like how it's roomy enough for an EATX board. I am still considering this case in my thread about cases.

been out of the loop for a few , Antec 900 was the last case I fell in love with , but this case is sooooo much hotter that the 900 . beyond ubersexy !
Nice write up Earthdog

if I didnt have them stupid bills to pay for I would be all over this case .

Back