• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]SuperSpeed USB – Gigabyte “Turbo” vs. Asus “True USB3.0″

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

SuperSpeed USB – Gigabyte “Turbo” vs. Asus “True USB3.0″
by MIAHALLEN

SuperSpeed USB started showing up in the marketplace in time for the 2009 holiday shopping season. There have been two major forces bringing this new technology to the market; Gigabyte and Asus. The fact that it is these two manufacturers first with new technology should be no surprise to anyone as they are the two largest motherboard manufacturers in the world. What nobody saw coming was the variety of implementation that would be used.

Right out of the gate, both Asus and Gigabyte are using non-standard methods to implement this new technology. By standard, I’m referring to connecting the NEC USB3.0 controller chip into the P55 chipset directly using the available PCIe 1.1 lanes that are a standard part of the platform.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus.

Last edited:
turbo mode?

Very nice work! :)

I was thinking about if running 2 graphics cards on a gigabyte (it's just an "if" since I don't plan on doing it anytime soon, but I like to be able to in the future if need be, hence my budget is better spent elsewhere than lga 1366), if it is possible to make the necessary changes from within the o/s?

If so my thought is that it might be possible to disable turbomode when gaming and enable it when not, without having to reboot and enter the bios. Also, if a second card is present is it even possible to enable turbo mode? Might it then be enough to disable the second card within the os as well?

i just got one of the asus mobo's with usb 3.0 and sata3( model in my sig) to bad theirs nothing that uses ether well yeat:( there is one HDD that has sata3 but its 2 tera and slow from what ive read.and the only usb 3.0 stuff is external HDD cases.but i am excited over the possibility's of these two new techs on SSD and such:)

Hello. Very informative write-up, thank you. I apologize if this is only partially relevant to the topic, but here's a question: as far as I have been able to find out, LGA1366 cpus have 16 extra PCIe lanes compared to LGA1156 cpus. Does this mean that turbo-equipped motherboards from Gigabyte, say the GA-X58A-UD7 specifically, would not suffer a performance drop in the graphics department, at least in a single-graphics-card scenario? Is this what you mean by "WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT LGA1156/P55? The platform of choice for the demanding enthusiast is LGA1366/X58" ?

Back