• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone think pc parts can be pretty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

Anyone think pc parts can be pretty? I love my build, Its has an all black motherboard evga x58 sli Le. With ram that has black heat spreaders mushkin 1600 6gb ddr3. But part of the reason I actually chose this mobo cause I read it was thick and doesn't flex as I run a +4lb heatsink on my i7 920, its a TRUE copper in a vertical position (recommended to be used in horizontal only). I know athetics aren't anything. But really it did influence my build greatly. My current gpu which is not supposed to be my gpu is a XFX 9800gt with a black pcb (keeping with the theme.) It is low power and is intended instead to be for physx, I WANT THE DAMN GTX 380!!! Anyway, on my xfx 9800gt is another thermalright product to match my TRUE copper, its a v2 passively cooling it. I ve got red leds that reflect like crazy off the copper shine of these heatsinks thru the window of my case a silverstone TJ09. I just wish my wire management was alot better. My sound card I chose because I use headphones or two speakers only when gaming but its all black too, a xonar essence STX.

Does the look of parts ever influence your builds guys? I know performance is first. But these days we usually get one hell of a choice for every component. Which is why there's red gtx 280s and redline series ram. I don't know. Maybe I'm just an idiot for thinking looks DO matter.

Last edited:
:pics:

Anyway, I choose my builds based on performance, not looks. Although I do think a clean Water loop is damn good looking.:p

Embarrased by my wire management is why no pics. I chose my parts for performance too. My build has some of the best parts out there (except the gpu). But thats my point. It helps to influence builds. The biggest selling points on the mobo was price & layout. Love the layout. I could care less about the x16/x8 pcie slots instead of x16/x16 as I will probably use the second slot to add a raid controller. Instead I'll use one gpu GTX 380 or 395 if I can wait that long. Alot of mobos I didn't like the layout, a heatsink blocked ports or bad reviews. I like alot of add in cards. The 9800gt is only supposed to be for physx and because I plan to add a super energy draining gpu. I figured I'd put a green passively cooled gpu in as physx. Mushkin makes awesome ram, highly rated at some of the best speeds. Both thremalright heatsinks are still thermalright heatsinks nuff said already but i choise the copper one over the aluminum one for looks. I have a pair of shure scl4 and wanted an audiophile sound card thus the xonar essence stx.

Attachments

• 100_0385.jpg
    100_0385.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 550
  • 100_0380.jpg
    100_0380.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 551
Ya I'd have to agree, to a certain point that is. Only because i don't have tons of money to blow but i do like the look of the parts. Nice setup you got going, now you just need a black case interior and some wire management.

Can PC parts be pretty or mesmerizing? Absolutely, I think. This is one of my favorite pictures of my current PC from when I was first building it. I can't really pin down why...I just really like it.

Manufacturers have been taking "appearance" into mind when designing the parts due to the fact that a lot of enthusiasts want there system to look just as good as it performs. But in the end, with all of the "bells and whistles" that are available, there should be no problem whatsoever for the user to make their system a "one of a kind" and yet is blazing fast.

Just look at the pics in the "Cases & Mods" forum. There are some amazing systems that absolutely blow my mind with how they were set up.

One of favorite pics off this site:

p1014851lh3.jpg

yes they can be

30j7e3n.png.jpg

swap out the currect board for the dual 1366 socket when it drops :D

wonder how many ppd that would push a day :D

Should swap out for two core i9(s) as well as the mobo. Now your playing with power. super power.

yeah i pretty much choose my hardware on the basis of aesthetics.
i'm not TOO fussed baout performance...and it 2 products perform pretty even, you would bet i'd choose the prettier option.

coudl've stuck with the normal OCZ Reapers...but nope, had to go with the Reaper X for the large heatsink on it...it just makes the ram look beasty! :p

Back