• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Open Hardware Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mmoeller

Registered
Open Hardware Monitor (Version 0.1.22 Beta)

I am currently developing a free and open source hardware monitoring application. The binaries and source code can be found on the project website http://openhardwaremonitor.org/. Currently it supports Intel Core 2 and i7, AMD 10h family CPUs, mainboards with ITE chip, Nvidia and ATI GPUs and S.M.A.R.T harddisks.

It would be great if a few could give it a try and report any problems, incorrect sensor readings etc. You can report any problems here or as issue on the Google Code page http://code.google.com/p/open-hardware-monitor/.

To report your results, just use "File / Save report" in the Open Hardware Monitor and attach the file OpenHardwareMonitor.Report.txt from the exe folder to your post. Point out anything wrong or missing.

screen0117b.png

Michael Möller

Last edited:
Hey Michael, first of all :welcome: to OcF !

Really interesting program, especially its open ! :clap:

I can see you've started with ITE Super IO chip, any plan for other line Winbond and etc ? That will be really cool !

Just a suggestion, about the plotting of temperatures graphs, just curios since I'm not a programmer, is it hard to let the windows's own Performance Monitor to do the the charting instead of you build it from the scratch ?

IMO PerfMon charting capability is quite powerful.

Again, thanks, if I have time, I will definately try it when I'm home, currently I'm on traveling, will give you any feedback once I tried it.

Edit :Thread Subscribed. ;)

Winbond and Fintek chips are on the todo list. But I wanted to make sure first, that the foundations are right and stable before going into adding more hardware support.

I haven't looked into using Performance Monitor. I checked a few charting/plotting components for Windows.Forms but couldn't find anything I liked. Right now the plotting feature is more of a demo than a finished implemenation. I intend to work on that a bit more. But it should be possible to add support for many different ways of displaying the data (like systray, sidebar gadgets etc.)

Welcome Mmoeller, thanks for sharing what your working on here. If you need more feedback or ideas, you may want to also contact The Coolest, he is a senior member who writes CoreTemp, and maybe you guys could bounce some things off eachother:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

:welcome:

I love monitoring apps, will give it a try in a few of my rigs , thanks :)

Would be great if it could incorporate key voltages and temps such as Vtt for X58/P55 as well as FSB, NB and SB (for 775 chipset)

Are you getting the core temps directly from the processor, the thermal sensors?

With the E4500, looks like the TJMax is 100 C.

I am currently developing a free and open source hardware monitoring application. The binaries and source code can be found on the project website http://openhardwaremonitor.org/. Currently it supports Intel Core 2 and i7, AMD 10h family CPUs, mainboards with ITE chip, Nvidia and ATI GPUs and S.M.A.R.T harddisks.

It would be great if a few could give it a try and report any problems, incorrect sensor readings etc. You can report any problems here or as issue on the Google Code page http://code.google.com/p/open-hardware-monitor/.

I mainly started the project, because I couldn't find any free monitoring software that supports the T-Balancer bigNG fan controllers, or where I could add support for it with a plugin.

31932476.png

Michael Möller

Michael,

I'll try it too. What immediately caught my eye was the specific locations of fans and rpms. All other programs I've seen give them numbers and I don't know what fans they are referring to by that method. :thup:

And my nVidia software for my card doesn't give GPU temps or rpms either.

@RJARRRPCGP: Yes core temps are directly from the processor. The TjMax is a guess by the software, as it is not so easy to find complete and correct documentation about it. You can see the assmued TjMax in the "Limit" column, when you enable it (right lick on the columns).

@Brolloks: There are usually a few voltages more to be read from the Super I/O chip (like ITE, Winbond, Fintek), but it is difficult to correctly convert these values in general without knowing the exact resistor values used in the voltage divider on each motherboard (and they seem to change from board type to board type a lot). So right now I display only Vcore and Vbat, because they are almost the same on all boards. Adding more sensor info is usually easy, if documents exist where/how to read them, and if the hardware can be accessed in a safe way from an application.

@RollingThunder: Open Hardware Monitor gives them the simple numbers as well for the motherboard sensor chips. But you can rename them (by comparing with tools written specific for your board), and the application should remember the mapping the next time you start it. There are plans to build a database of label mappings for each motherboard, but collecting the data will be a huge work. And basic support for the most common chips has to come first.

@RJARRRPCGP: Yes core temps are directly from the processor. The TjMax is a guess by the software, as it is not so easy to find complete and correct documentation about it. You can see the assmued TjMax in the "Limit" column, when you enable it (right lick on the columns).

@Brolloks: There are usually a few voltages more to be read from the Super I/O chip (like ITE, Winbond, Fintek), but it is difficult to correctly convert these values in general without knowing the exact resistor values used in the voltage divider on each motherboard (and they seem to change from board type to board type a lot). So right now I display only Vcore and Vbat, because they are almost the same on all boards. Adding more sensor info is usually easy, if documents exist where/how to read them, and if the hardware can be accessed in a safe way from an application.

@RollingThunder: Open Hardware Monitor gives them the simple numbers as well for the motherboard sensor chips. But you can rename them (by comparing with tools written specific for your board), and the application should remember the mapping the next time you start it. There are plans to build a database of label mappings for each motherboard, but collecting the data will be a huge work. And basic support for the most common chips has to come first.

Attachments

• Open HW Monitor.jpg
    Open HW Monitor.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3,275
wow looks very good - i have never programmed anything in my life but
i think you could add some sort of feature where you can set a warning/alarm when a certain sensor reachers a certain value- would be cool:)

@Nebulous: Could you try the latest version 0.1.2-beta? I have fixed Core i7 temp reading, Nvidia GPU enumeration and added support for the Fintek F71882 chip (which your board uses as far as I know). Fintek detection is still experimental, since I don't have any hardware here.

About HWMonitor, Everest: The GUI is similar to these application, but the project is otherwise unrelated.

Do you have any plans to create sig images from any of the data reported? I'm interested in a tool under the overclockers.com name which collects certain data and reports it in various ways, one of which would be a sig image.

Back