• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pin Modding E5200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ronbert

alright so I've been reading a tad about pin modding on CPU's. I'm interested in information about Pin Modding relating to the E5200.

Before I do any hands on stuff though I need to know exactly one hundred percent fool proof what Pin Modding is for so I have no mixed definitions. I need to know the consequences if something goes wrong, more important I need guides and something that will make everything about Pin Modding 100% clear. Can you guys help me out?

Another thing I should make clear my intent here is to change the FSB default from 200Mhz to 266Mhz

doesn't your motherboard support changing the clocks on the fsb in the bios?
I would do that first before doing something risky like that
Also check out this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586596

EDIT:
After finding your other thread this may help future posters here for this thread
From thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633197
You can try setting your fsb to 266 and see if you can set your core volts to 1.33 seeing as how that seems to be the appropriate voltage for the e5200 at. see what your voltage is at now and then just use the +- voltage settings in your bios to add on the proper amount

Last edited:
It does but I'm maxed at 3.2Ghz simply because this mobo's lack of OC abilities. Please be mindful that I also want to learn about pin modding not just to pin mod this cpu but to know about it in general.

EDIT: You're way behind me big guy I've long clocked this CPU up. It's at 3.325Ghz now after tweaking with those settings. Also is there a way to get my Ram frequency to go even lower so I can clock higher? Without the option of going lower than 533Mhz it makes it impossible to be stable.

Last edited:
I asked Ronbert to start this thread from PM. My basic understanding is that by increasing the default FSB to 266 he can trick the mobo into using a looser NB strap (as his mobo lacks this option) and thus allow a higher FSB OC (as Ronbert seems to be stuck at 266 presently). And he might also get some new RAM divider options that can help.

just for the record this would be pad modding not pin modding. since the lga775 cpus have pads on the bottom not pins like sk478 and older. if you want to try other FSB pad mods you can see the table i put together a while ago.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5804035&postcount=17
i do suggest reading a few posts after that, seems i had some things a bit off. though it is only on how to achieve certain H/L settings for the mobo to see.

with the latest bios on the motherboard you might also be able to use the 333fsb pad mod.

here are the pads you need to look for on the cpu
L_LGA775_package.jpg

I did my e5200 to run at 266, worked great. Also did the voltage on it.

Consequences of a complete screwup (vcc to vss, for instance) is total cpu and motherboard destruction.
You'd have to screw up pretty bad for that though.

I had an invisible film that connected one of the clock pins to ground, didn't want to POST in that condition :p

just for the record this would be pad modding not pin modding. since the lga775 cpus have pads on the bottom not pins like sk478 and older. if you want to try other FSB pad mods you can see the table i put together a while ago.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5804035&postcount=17
i do suggest reading a few posts after that, seems i had some things a bit off. though it is only on how to achieve certain H/L settings for the mobo to see.

with the latest bios on the motherboard you might also be able to use the 333fsb pad mod.

here are the pads you need to look for on the cpu
L_LGA775_package.jpg

Oh you hard *** you knew what I meant =p and I actually read some posts I believe it was in your section about pad modding. Don't worry though I will actually be looking into this for a LONG time and being thorough before I even attempt it.

And if I'm reading this right, I have to ground my H to an L for 266Mhz. Right?

well according to
Ya you have your theory backwards... yes an L pin is essientally a grounded pin. BUT if you have an L pin and want to make it H... connecting the H to the L will NOT move the L up to an H but instead ground out the H pin and make it an L..... If you isolate a pin (unground it) the mobo will think its an H... thus you can easily take an L pin put a piece of electrical tape on top of it and walla ... H pin.

haha 400mhz fsb socket m/p anyone!

and TBH i never really crossreferenced the BSEL tables of 775 cpus... so as you pointed out they are the same... but i have always played it safe.

which is why i was saying read some of other posts about me being off a bit.

i dont know what i was thinking but yes your other post is right. tieing the H pad to the L pad will do what you need.

i dont know what i was thinking but yes your other post is right. tieing the H pad to the L pad will do what you need.

Alrighty so that take care of that but I thought of something else. My board will allow the higher boot I know for fact it will but my boar only allows SPECIFIC ram speeds and will not let me adjust the multiplier...

I can only choose from 533mhz, 6xxmhz, and 800mhz. Now I know I could OC higher with a pad mod but would it really benefit any? Since I can't adjust the ram to fit it, it won't be stable correct?

Tying a L pad to a voltage source pad (not just a random pad that is H) will make it H.
Same for making a H pad L.

The vcore and fsb pads have very high resistors inline with them, as they are for very simple signals. As such you can't really use them as a voltage source or sink.

EDIT:
The ram speeds it allows are essentially multipliers, the difference is that you have to figure out what the multi is based on the default FSB strap.
800 for instance is 1:2 for a 200fsb default cpu.

fsb and voltage pad modding is so easy on 775 cpus... pad modded my e4300 in my ECS G33T-M2 to run at a vid of 1.0005v. A piece of tinfoil, crazy glue, electrical tape, a steady hand and 5 min later i had connected 2 pads, and covered one.

An fsb pad mod will like others have stated loosen the timings on the northbridge thus just like loosening the timings on ram will allow the NB to clock higher. If your hitting a wall and you think your cpu can do more an fsb pad mod might help some but dont expect miracles.

The G31 chipset should be able to do 400fsb very easy... which on an e5200 gets you 5ghz.... so id be willing to bet an fsb pad mod wont get you much at all. One thing that you might possibly get out of a pad mod is being able to oc the cpu while keeping your ram at stock as ram dividers will adjust to suit standard 667 and 800mhz ram depending on the mobo.

EDIT: HAHA noticed that some of my ancient chinese pad modding secrets are coming back to the surface :beer:

fsb and voltage pad modding is so easy on 775 cpus... pad modded my e4300 in my ECS G33T-M2 to run at a vid of 1.0005v. A piece of tinfoil, crazy glue, electrical tape, a steady hand and 5 min later i had connected 2 pads, and covered one.

An fsb pad mod will like others have stated loosen the timings on the northbridge thus just like loosening the timings on ram will allow the NB to clock higher. If your hitting a wall and you think your cpu can do more an fsb pad mod might help some but dont expect miracles.

The G31 chipset should be able to do 400fsb very easy... which on an e5200 gets you 5ghz.... so id be willing to bet an fsb pad mod wont get you much at all. One thing that you might possibly get out of a pad mod is being able to oc the cpu while keeping your ram at stock as ram dividers will adjust to suit standard 667 and 800mhz ram depending on the mobo.

EDIT: HAHA noticed that some of my ancient chinese pad modding secrets are coming back to the surface :beer:

Well the wall I'm hitting here is strange. I raise the FSB on the cpu and it boots fine but for some reason the BIOS settings have been reverted back to it's original settings. This leads me to believe that my cpu is failing out I tried to raise the volts slightly but no cigar.

Thing is though I'm only at 266Mhz for 3.325Ghz, theoretically if I've done my math right I still have RAM wise a 100Mhz for improvement... My effective speed is 709Mhz the speed of the RAM it's self is 800Mhz, this is all assuming I've understood the equations given to me correctly.

ya its best to do one thing at a time... Ill start with say the northbridge, find what its max fsb is by lowering the multiplier on the cpu and using ram dividers so the ram doesnt oc. Then once i find that i have plenty of head room there Ill go to the ram, again using a lower multi so i can clock the ram up. Then ill play with the cpu at max multi and ram under clocked. Then ill bring everything together to match.

So for instance my E7200 in the htpc in my sig. With a default multi of 9.5 on a p35 chipset i have major possibilities. But i run it at 3.2ghz with an 8x multi so i can run 400 fsb so i can run a 1:1 ram divider so the ram runs at 400mhz (800mhz effective) so thus everything is matched and the best possible running for that situation.

Try a 266mhz fsb pad mod... it shouldnt be hard at all. all you need to do is connect the red dot to the yellow to bring the red dot (BSEL 1) down from the H position (in refrence to the picture above). A small rectangle of tin foil, and a super small dot of crazy glue (use a needle) BETWEEN the pads to keep the tin foil in place is all you need (the tin foil makes contact with the pads by the pressure of the pins in the socket). No need to go spend 10 bucks on a window defogger repair kit.

ya its best to do one thing at a time... Ill start with say the northbridge, find what its max fsb is by lowering the multiplier on the cpu and using ram dividers so the ram doesnt oc. Then once i find that i have plenty of head room there Ill go to the ram, again using a lower multi so i can clock the ram up. Then ill play with the cpu at max multi and ram under clocked. Then ill bring everything together to match.

So for instance my E7200 in the htpc in my sig. With a default multi of 9.5 on a p35 chipset i have major possibilities. But i run it at 3.2ghz with an 8x multi so i can run 400 fsb so i can run a 1:1 ram divider so the ram runs at 400mhz (800mhz effective) so thus everything is matched and the best possible running for that situation.

Try a 266mhz fsb pad mod... it shouldnt be hard at all. all you need to do is connect the red dot to the yellow to bring the red dot (BSEL 1) down from the H position (in refrence to the picture above). A small rectangle of tin foil, and a super small dot of crazy glue (use a needle) BETWEEN the pads to keep the tin foil in place is all you need (the tin foil makes contact with the pads by the pressure of the pins in the socket). No need to go spend 10 bucks on a window defogger repair kit.

I can't adjust the multiplier on this board. It's stuck at 12.5x

Back