• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NZXT Tempest EVO Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

NZXT Tempest EVO Review
by Jeremy Vaughan (hokiealumnus)
NZXT does cases. Well, they do other things, but their main and largest product line consists of their cases. Their stated goal is a lofty one:
NZXT, a company built upon gamer's dreams, hopes to create products that put consumers first. With the objective of designing unique products catered for hardware enthusiasts and gamers...

Their Tempest EVO we're looking at today certainly sounds like a case that puts the consumer first. So sit back and let's have a look to see if they've come up with something out of a gamer's dream.

Continue reading the article...

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited by a moderator:
I know someone who has this case and it amazes me every time I see it in action. The airflow easily rivals that of the Antec cases.

By the way, this case is also what made me an NZXT fan. I bought my NZXT M59 only a few months after my friend bought this case. NZXT all the way!

looks too much like the antec series with half the wire management capability. If I didn't already own an antech that case might be a consideration but certainly not worth swapping brands.

Tempest did copy Antec design for a lower price. I still have the original Tempest. EVO improved cable management behind mobo tray, a cutout in mobo plate for changing heatsink without removing mobo, changed the PSU support a bit, and an all black interior but they are largely the same.

Dual 140 radiator ,, easy!

Actually it's not that difficult to add the Black Ice® GTS Gen Two Xtreme 280, which is a dual 140 radiator to the NZXT Tempest EVO.
A little dremel work around the fan openings and redrilling a new bolt pattern--done.
Before the EVO version it was a little more involved to get the clearance between the radiator and the heatsinks at the top of the motherboards.
Take a look for yourself.

http://www.nzxt.com/forum/showthread.php?6176-Black-Ice-280-Radiator-It-Fits!

It didn't take me too long to do the mods, about an afternoon was all.

Actually it's not that difficult to add the Black Ice® GTS Gen Two Xtreme 280, which is a dual 140 radiator to the NZXT Tempest EVO.
A little dremel work around the fan openings and redrilling a new bolt pattern--done.
Before the EVO version it was a little more involved to get the clearance between the radiator and the heatsinks at the top of the motherboards.
Take a look for yourself.

http://www.nzxt.com/forum/showthread.php?6176-Black-Ice-280-Radiator-It-Fits!

It didn't take me too long to do the mods, about an afternoon was all.
Looks very nice, thanks for the input! In the review, I wanted to relay what it could do without modification. Any case can be modified to do what people need it to (granted they may be a lot harder than yours). My take was 'what can it do out of the box?'. Unfortunately placing an internal radiator with sufficient mounting isn't one of those things. For water cooling, the RC690 II Advanced remains the mid-tower case to beat in my book.

However, I am still a big fan of the Tempest EVO overall. The visible hard drive wires irks the wire management freak in me, but that's a small concern. For any air cooler or someone with a boatload of HDDs, this case is most definitely a winner!

Lastly, welcome to OCF!! :welcome:

Great review hokie. GZ
Im trying to choose a new case, my favorites are the NZXT Guardian 921 or the Tempest EVO. Could you tell me if the Tempest can fit a large cooler? (more specifically a Zalman 10x Extreme)
Thanks. ^^

Thanks!

Not sure about the Zalman, but it's currently housing a Thermalright Venomous X without issue. Looks like there may even be a centimeter to spare between it & the side panel.

Back