• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this just corrupt VRAM? Or is there something else wrong? (WARNING XXL PICS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tinymouse2

So I've been trying to get an old computer working.

Specs
CPU: AMD 64x2 4200+ clocked at the stock of 2.2GHz
GPU: 7900gs 256MB version, no overclock
Mobo: Asus M2V
RAM: 2x arbitrary 512mb DDR2 @ 667MHz
PSU: Just a bog standard naff one but I'm not putting any strain on it

So! I just boot into the bios, no need to boot into an OS (haven't got a spare hard drive with an OS on and I don't really think it's necessary.

I believe the problem is just corrupt VRAM. I've replaced the TIM on the CPU and my GPU (first time for gpu, went awesomely :D) so I doubt it's an overheating problem. I tried replacing the GPU TIM about 5 times anyway with varying abouts of TIM from a VERY small amount that didn't quite cover all the chip to overflowing out the edges.

So, just a dead GPU? Posted it in general because it might be something else.

Thanks for any help you can give :thup:

And now for the pics:
NOTE: It looks slightly like there's some residue on the caps in the last pic, that's just the flash.

P5090191.jpg

P5090192.jpg

P5090189.jpg

P5090194.jpg

P5090195.jpg

Those are artifacts. A damaged vid card is the most likely cause and chances are the damage is irreversible. You can try updating the cards BIOS or even increasing the GPU and VRAM voltages, if you really don't want to get another card.

Well I'm hoping to create a wooden box :D

I wanted to keep the price as minimal as possible. I have 3 120mm fans and I'm planning to buy 2 more.
A simple GPU will probably cost me about 30 quid or so. That would probably push the total over my 40 quid budget :(

I think I might have to though, looks like this card is completely dead.

Just to show what I might be planning:
Fans in all but 2 of the gaps.

Wood build 1.jpg

Wood build 2.jpg

Wood build 3.jpg

Effort? :p

But seriously why wouldn't I? Is there any risk to my GPU if this one possibly died on that mobo? Could put the 7900gs in my current rig actually. I'll go put it in my current rig in a bit.
Probably should have thought of that first :s

OK I pronounce this card now officially dead.

260 ran fine with the rest of the hardware, looks like I'm going to have to spend a bit more if I want this wooden case thing :(

Back