• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C] ATI Helping to Bring Eyefinity to the Masses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
O

Overclockers.com

ATI Helping to Bring Eyefinity to the Masses
by Jeremy Vaughan (hokiealumnus)
Last week, we were invited to a conference call with representatives of ATI and some other media outlets.

... Return to the article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont get it, wouldnt it be easier and no bezels in the way to just use a single 42" HDTV monitor with DVI connections?
or is that to simple ?

i dont get them solving completly the flickering when it had nothing to do with adaption, and is 2 possibly different issues for different people.

i dont get it, 3x 1920 resolution and thier best card cant run descent antialising ON 3 FULL resolution monitors in full resolution at good frame rates with the primo games that people want to fork over 400-700 for cards and 1500 if they want descent monitors even without Display port.

I want it :) i just dont get it .

hey when will they add in Stereoscopic 3d at 240FPs , TOO.

the point of this is it's an active adapter without an external power source needed. the only benefit i can see of this adapter over the similar passive adapters is that it enables HDCP/DPCP, which isn't really a benefit in my eyes. So i'm just going to keep using the passive adapters I already have. If these are bundled with new cards, then great, but I'm certainly not going to put these as a 'must have' feature when considering my next purchase, and i'm certainly not rushing out to buy any on their own.

As I understand it from reading about the internet, in current Eyefinity cards there are only two clockgens for DVI/VGA/HDMI signals. Using a passive adapter on a DP output would require a third. Using the active adapter gets around that issue and allows the use of a DVI monitor as the third in a three-monitor Eyefinity setup.

Already commented on this on another thread... I guess if someone already has a GPU with the normal output layout (1xDP + 2xDVI + 1HDMI) and they wanted to do 3 way Eyefinity, getting one of these for $40 wouldn't be such a bad thing.
But as far as I am concerned (since I'm building a new rig right now); I've decided to go with the Saphire 6xmDP Eyefinity 6 2GB GPU and 3 IPS Displays from Dell which have DP inputs. That way I can just buy mDP to DP cables (male to male) and be done with it. No need for Active adapters, no risk of flickering screens, no resolution limitation to 1920x1200. And since the cables sell for about $15, the expense vs getting the active mDP to DVI adapter would be just about the same, but the value in return is greater.

Yep, that's about the gist of it. You are the ideal person - he (or she) who has monitors that already have the proper inputs. But for those out there that don't, this is a strong, cheap ($30) fix.

i dont get it, wouldnt it be easier and no bezels in the way to just use a single 42" HDTV monitor with DVI connections?
or is that to simple ?

i dont get them solving completly the flickering when it had nothing to do with adaption, and is 2 possibly different issues for different people.

i dont get it, 3x 1920 resolution and thier best card cant run descent antialising ON 3 FULL resolution monitors in full resolution at good frame rates with the primo games that people want to fork over 400-700 for cards and 1500 if they want descent monitors even without Display port.

I want it :) i just dont get it .

hey when will they add in Stereoscopic 3d at 240FPs , TOO.

Think about the way your eyes work. When you're looking forward, you can still see whats on your left and right, even though you're not directly looking at it. It's called Peripheral Vision. A 50" single screen still has the same field of view as a 22" screen, it's just bigger. 1 50" has a rez of 1920x1080, 1 22" has a rez of 1920x1080. 3 monitors of any size have a rez anywhere from 3840x1024 to 7680x1200. With 3 monitors your field of view is expanded and you get more real estate, you can actually see more than a single screen user. Read this, it goes into more depth more on why the bezels are not of a concern and also the common comparison to an HDTV. It's something that needs to be experienced first hand. Once you go with multiple monitors, everything else just doesn't cut it. Not even my 50" 120hz plasma. ;)

Back