• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a Folding Farm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sfu7274456

Alright somebody suggested it so I am going to document putting together some more folders for my farm. I spent today working on rebuilding my rack, really just neating up the wiring. Moving a shelf and adding more places for my new folders.

This thread will hopefully lead to an article for the front page. I was wanting to use this to hash out ideas, what to document, sources, blah blah. Really for Brainstorming. So throw anything out their you want to see. I will start posting pics probably tomorrow. I am going to try to throw a folder together tonight and snapping pics.

Little Preview for everyone

100_0099.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not

sub'n

Reason:

I'm jealous!!!!:rofl::rofl:

Sub'd I can't wait to start mine up.

I thought I had another pc within reach :(

975 msi x58m
6gb pc10666
1tb hd
27" lcd monitor
gtx260

for $500 but I think the kid is trying to pull a fast one on people. I told him I'm 4 hours away and would come with cash. He said it's sold to someone from Aussie land... :( IDK

Shucks

Working on it, got four of the new folders up and running. Working on writing the text to accompany the pics. Been taking a bunch of notes and trying to put this into some kind of order that would make sense. Too bad can't catch a BigAdv to save my life right now.

subed and would like to know what your cpus are and what your expecting for results from this farm ..... what kind of cooling are you going to use i would like to see a nice water cooling setup

Alright somebody suggested it so I am going to document putting together some more folders for my farm. I spent today working on rebuilding my rack, really just neating up the wiring. Moving a shelf and adding more places for my new folders.

This thread will hopefully lead to an article for the front page. I was wanting to use this to hash out ideas, what to document, sources, blah blah. Really for Brainstorming. So throw anything out their you want to see. I will start posting pics probably tomorrow. I am going to try to throw a folder together tonight and snapping pics.

Little Preview for everyone

Does this mean that we will be seeing atleast one entry for THE CONTEST?

By the way, I noticed nobody mentioned this. You will get much more PPD out of that farm if "team=32" and "username=8thDeadlySyn".:rofl:

subed and would like to know what your cpus are and what your expecting for results from this farm ..... what kind of cooling are you going to use i would like to see a nice water cooling setup

Cpu's I am using all 930's with the exception of one 920. As far as cooling I am just using stock coolers. I have thought about putting it on water, but putting 18 CPU's on water would be pretty expensive. For the money that I would put into cooling them, I could build a couple more crunchers. Also serviceability would be tougher with having to deal with water lines. Now as it sits, I can just unplug the network connection and power and I can carry it to my desk and work on it.

As far as PPD right now I am getting about 320K PPD, that is with seven of my crunchers working on 2684's right now. I am expecting anywhere's from 300K PPD and 400K PPD with my setup, depending on availability of BigAdv WU and the WU's I am assigned.

Here is a screen shot of my current ppd. I still have one more cruncher to add

CurrentOutput-1.jpg

Last edited:
That's just amazing!!! :drool: Awesome!!! :beer:

What I think is interesting is the variance in frame times running the same project on a seemingly identical rig. Same board, CPU, memory, clocks... I always thought bigadv work had this somewhat variable frame rate and that screen shot confirms it.

Standard and GPU work units have sooooo much more of a consistent frame rate. Standard SMP A3 work varies a little. So this may just be a product of the A3 core amplified by the large nature of bigadv work.

All I can say is... I'm glad sfu is on our Team!!! :D

By the way, when do we get to see pictures of the finished farm? I want to see some computer pr0n :p

Last edited:
sfu, you must stop building your farm. How am I ever going to catch you?!? Oh...wait, I won't. :p ;)

Nice gear, looking forward to seeing the final pics. Sub'd! :thup:

Back