• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[New Poll]What kind of cooling do you use poll (2011)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What kind of cooling do you use poll (2011)

• Air cooling

Votes: 179 63.9%
  • Water cooling (Includes LCLC systems such as H50, H70, Antec Kuhler, etc)

Votes: 92 32.9%
  • Other cooling (please explain below)

Votes: 9 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

muddocktor

Retired
New Year, new Poll! :D

This poll is one of a series of polls designed to give members the opportunity to see what the membership as a whole have chosen in regards to some of the more common cooling choices. This particular poll is for members to show what kind of cooling is being used by them. It will also give anyone who feels the need, the opportunity to explain why they have chosen that method and possibly help others decide on what their next cooling setup will be. This poll, along with the others will be stuck in the appropriate section and will be open for one year, after which a new poll will be set in place to allow future members to show their choices, current members to list any changes in their choices, and to allow members to track shifts in trends over an extended period.

Having said that, what is your primary method of cooling your main system, with air, with water or with something other than the first two?

NOTE: eobard's original poll thread is here.

Results:
Air - 72.12%
Water - 25.12%
Other - 2.76%

The 2008 poll thread is right here.

Results:
Air - 78.50%
Water - 19.11%
Other - 2.39%

The 2009 poll thread is here.

Results:
Air - 76.27%
Water - 22.52%
Other - 1.21%

The 2010 poll thread is right here for you to to follow the progression of the cooling scene.

Results:
Air - 78.03%
Water - 20.33%
Other - 1.64%

This poll will run 1 year after which I plan to replace it with a new poll. Please make your choice based on your main computer's cooling method.

muddocktor

Last edited:
Again, I am still using a loop to cool my main system; really using 3 of the 4 systems at the house with water. I just did a total cleanup/rebuild on my main rig. The old Bonnie heater core had developed a very tiny leak, which I couldn't find the exact location of it. And since my U2-UFO case is set up for the old 25mm spacing Thermochill rads it's hard to find a ready-built dual fan rad to replace anything with. So I ended up buying a new 77 Bonnie heater core (with A/C, which is what the old one was) and cutting off the excess piping of the heater core then slipping 1/2 ID tubing over the 5/8 header pipes. I also cleaned out the waterblock and upgraded my main system to my hex core setup while doing the rebuild. I presently don't have my GTX570 in the loop yet because I need to raise enough funds to buy a waterblock for it. Temps on my 980X have dropped at least 8 C since putting it under water from a TRUE with 2 Denki H1011 fans. :D

For clarification, The LCLC systems such as the H50, H70 and CooliT! offerings would come under the water designation, since the primary heat transfer mechanism is a loop and radiator. They aren't high end water by any means, but IMO still come under the Water cooling heading.

Still can't justify the cost of water... I keep telling myself next time, although I finally have a case large enough to hide a decent sized radiator so I'm probably serious about "next time" this time.

Until then its the Noctua D14.

coolermaster hyper 212+ here.

Thought about cooling, but don't have the time and money to spend. Looks like it's going to be air cooling forever...

Air cooling every since I can remember. Wouldn't mind taking a look into water cooling, however I can't justify it considering I don't do any excessive overclocks. Would look cool though :)

Im still an air cooled no0b.

I have always wanted to run a phasechange setup tho, I even looked into a bit recently :O

But Id probably either blow myself up, or get bad frost bite :(

Or just wreck some expensive hardware :D

Im still an air cooled no0b.

I have always wanted to run a phasechange setup tho, I even looked into a bit recently :O

But Id probably either blow myself up, or get bad frost bite :(

Or just wreck some expensive hardware :D

Haha...Phase change would be nice if I could afford to lose out due to a mistake on my part...I remember seeing $400-$500 cases with a pre-built phase-change cooling system. I doubt I would ever go that route, though...I'd be too worried about condensation...

Water cooling for a while now... I bought a ThermalTake Big Water 760is back in 5/28/2009 off TigerDirect and have been running my own custom loops since the middle of 2010. It's a bit of a passion and it looks absolutely fantastic! Most people still shake their head when I explain to them how I cool my computer. My GF has my old Bigwater system plodding along in her system, still runs like a champ, just had to replace the fan one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back