Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray
Forum Jump

UEFI Driver for the RAID Card?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 11:55 AM Thread Starter   #1
solstice

UEFI Driver for the RAID Card?

I am preparing for a new major upgrade to the current system. So the main thing would be UEFI such that I can create a boot system that is larger than 2TB. I read that I will need to have a UEFI driver and use that to create a UEFI clean Windows system. Does anybody have any experience with creating a boot drive with larger than 2TB?

Which card have that available? How does the UEFI driver works? Do I put in the CD and install on the UEFI system?

Keep in mind that I will only be using Desktop system and a server system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

On a side note, do you need driver for video card? I don't think so, but just curious.

4 2GB Kingston Value-Memory DDR2 PC2-6400 ECC CL5
ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI
Bios 3106 with ECC enabled
EVGA GTX 280 OC (Got Rid of SLI to reduce Power)
Windows 7 64 bit
Antec Nine Hundred
3Ware 3960SA-8I
2 Hitachi 640 GB + 1 WDC Blue 640 GB + 1TB Hitachi in RAID 5
1 2TB Backup Drive.
solstice is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-05-11, 07:56 AM   #2
Neuromancer

You need to lookup GPT booting. TBH I am not sure how UEFI shell system plays into that...

Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me
Neuromancer is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-05-11, 08:03 AM   #3
thideras
Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
Premium Member #3

I don't think UEFI changes anything, that is basically the replacement for the BIOS. The boot order/procedure should still be the same. Make sure the OS has the drives/modules to be able to read the partitions and install the OS.

I don't have a UEFI board to test this with, but I can't see it being too different.

8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
"That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
"Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current project: Rackmount Overkill (New)
Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!
thideras is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-05-11, 11:28 AM Thread Starter   #4
solstice

I finished my research. It seem to me that only LSI MegaRAID and Intel RAID card includes UEFI driver. I also looked into a biostar motherboard manual. I saw the UEFI command prompt. I should be able to use that to install UEFI driver for the controller and then boot with it.

After this, I have decided to push back my upgrade. I am hoping there would be more card with that driver built in such as the Adaptec 6805 series.

To answer a previous post, the UEFI does change the way the disc controller are initialized. In essence, the driver layer allows more capabilities in UEFI to detect configuration and boot accordingly. Otherwise, you are still in legacy mode. It makes an important difference in booting faster and > 2TB drives.

4 2GB Kingston Value-Memory DDR2 PC2-6400 ECC CL5
ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI
Bios 3106 with ECC enabled
EVGA GTX 280 OC (Got Rid of SLI to reduce Power)
Windows 7 64 bit
Antec Nine Hundred
3Ware 3960SA-8I
2 Hitachi 640 GB + 1 WDC Blue 640 GB + 1TB Hitachi in RAID 5
1 2TB Backup Drive.
solstice is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-06-11, 10:16 AM   #5
Neuromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I finished my research. It seem to me that only LSI MegaRAID and Intel RAID card includes UEFI driver. I also looked into a biostar motherboard manual. I saw the UEFI command prompt. I should be able to use that to install UEFI driver for the controller and then boot with it.

After this, I have decided to push back my upgrade. I am hoping there would be more card with that driver built in such as the Adaptec 6805 series.

To answer a previous post, the UEFI does change the way the disc controller are initialized. In essence, the driver layer allows more capabilities in UEFI to detect configuration and boot accordingly. Otherwise, you are still in legacy mode. It makes an important difference in booting faster and > 2TB drives.
Good to know. I only have 2TB drives nothing larger so I have not played around with it yet...

The only UEFI boot tags I saw on my drives, formatted or unformatted was my USB sticks. I just selected non-UEFI boot. I will have to look into this more though after cougar point gets rereleased.

Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me
Neuromancer is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray