Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

ATX VS. Micro ATX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 01:40 PM Thread Starter   #1
FearBefore
Registered

ATX VS. Micro ATX

What's the difforence between the Micro ATX and a ATX? What one is more common/ best to get?
FearBefore is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 03-06-11, 01:51 PM   #2
TheQuadFather

the difference is mainly size, MATX missing the extra 3 pci/pice slots the full atx board has, but being part of the same specification MATX will fit and mount properly in a full ATX case, an issue which used to be but now is no longer around is the fact MATX boards used to be cheaper, which means subpar comments, but that is no longer the case in most situations so it is irrelevant.

the best one to get depends on your needs/personal choice/budget/upgrade path and maybe even a case you already own.

Please Fold For Team32!
TheQuadFather is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-06-11, 04:48 PM   #3
4GHZ_or_bust
Now 6GHz or Bust!

If you're building a small PC or HTPC, micro is probably the best choice for small size. (ITX is even smaller) But for a general desktop build, standard ATX would have more slots and be more upgradeable.

More on sizes can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#Variants

Old 03-06-11, 06:27 PM   #4
Randyman...

Never had a mATX match an ATX with regard to OC potentials. There are a few "high-end Enthusiast" mATX boards, but you can get equivalent performance from a cheaper ATX MoBo IMO. More room for Power Phases is also a plus...

PC#1 (Main Rig) : Lian Li PC-V1010 / P8Z68-V-GEN3 / 3750K @ 4.5GHz + Ven-X / 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 / HD5770 "XXX" 1GB / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / (6x) 2TB 5K3000 on Areca ARC1222 in RAID-6 / Seasonic X660 PSU / 2407WFP-HC / RME "Multiface" 38 Ch. Audio I/O / Dynaudio AIR-15 + AIR-BASE-2 Studio Monitors
PC#2 (Realtime DAW) : Lian-Li PC-K65B / Sabertooth X79 / i7-3820 @ 4.8GHz + TRUE / 8GB RipJaws DDR3-2133 / HD6570 / 120GB Intel 520 / 4x 1TB on Areca ARC-1210 in RAID-5 / RME "HDSPe MADI" 128 Channel Audio I/O / 2x SSL AlphaLink MADI AX / 48 Mic Inputs + Fully-discrete Mic Preamps + 4260Watt PA System with 5x 18" JBL Subs :-)
NAS#1: NSC-800 ITX Case / Asus P8H61-ITX / i3-2120 / (8x) 1TB 7200.12's in RAID-6 on Areca ARC-1220 Card
NAS#2: 12TB ReadyNAS Ultra-4+ / (4x) 3TB 5K3000's
And 7 other i7/i5/C2D/C2Q PC's
Randyman... is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-06-11, 06:58 PM   #5
DumpALump

Like Randyman said, they usually come with less mosfets for controlling the power to the CPU. Since companies figure those buying ATX are looking for a stock/htpc type computer and don't need to spend the extra $30-50 for increased overclocking potential. This isn't to say that mATX boards can't overclock well, as I've seen plenty of people getting good clocks on a lot of different CPUs.

More than likely, you just won't be able to use high voltages and overclock your cpu to "unsafe" levels. Hitting a stable standard overclock is generally pretty easy and you'll probably be hindered by your cooling more than anything. One thing to do before purchasing your motherboard is to research it and see what kind of overclocking options it has.

But to answer your question, mATX is smaller for smaller cases (maybe for a lan computer) and ATX is the standard.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards