• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network Load Balancing with the CradlePoint MBR1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I will be dabbling in small business routers that are a couple years old here soon for CCNA/CCNP lab time and can review those if you feel that the community wants to read about them? I was under the impression that reviews were only relevant if they were of newer tech.

Not really. It comes down to what is useful and/or interesting. I did an article on a Dell Perc 5/i RAID controller, which is ancient in computer years. I was also going to do an article on my Gateway 2000 NS-9000 server, which is even more ancient.

Good articles are good articles. I was actually hoping the thread asking about this would turn into an article; and it did. It is good to know these work as well as they advertise.

I will be dabbling in small business routers that are a couple years old here soon for CCNA/CCNP lab time and can review those if you feel that the community wants to read about them? I was under the impression that reviews were only relevant if they were of newer tech.

You kidding Cisco has some great stuff that we can only afford if its a few years old :)

I wan't to know how I can load balance with 2 differnt cable isp's and route different traffic over different modems :)

You kidding Cisco has some great stuff that we can only afford if its a few years old :)

I want to know how I can load balance with 2 differnt cable isp's and route different traffic over different modems :)

I couldn't find any dual coaxil input modems so you probably have to buy two modems that go into a load-balancing capable router. It doesn't really matter that there's two ISP's as long as you know which IP to point the static route to on each WAN interface. As far as only sending certain data out over a certain interface you would have to set up some access lists outbound on your WAN interfaces allowing/disallowing the port numbers that the data you want to segregate run on. That just takes a router that can handle it, and a little big of networking gusto.

Brian

The stuff inside that link? It's linux shell commands, nothing proprietary there. :) Could call it bash scripting maybe, though I'm not sure if dd-wrt uses the bash shell or something else.

Got it. I just got through my first UNIX class and it looked sort of like the UNIX shell command language, but there seemed to be a lot I had not learned yet in there.

Update

I got a 2nd Cbale modem installed and setup Load Balancing

Modem 1 TWC Wide Band 50/5
Modem 2 RCN Wide Band 60/6

Results

1215447485.png

Sounds like you need to add a few more and switch to 10 Gig cables/ports.

lol dude you're going to have a medium-sized business's data center in your house soon enough if you keep going at this rate!

lol dude you're going to have a medium-sized business's data center in your house soon enough if you keep going at this rate!

Nah, no CISCO gear (yet), and my Gig switch is only a "quasi" smart switch.

*points at Thideras*

"I blame him!"

Including the CPU en route? I'll be at 4,4,4,4,3,2,2,2+2,1+1,1(30) cores(give or take a few). And well over 20tb of storage.

Ok so yeah maybe I am close to business grade computing power for just myself.:comp:

I think I need counseling, is there an AA for geeks?

!BACK ON TOPIC!

Im assuming that you did this for a business?

Otherwise, how did you manage to get your ISP to provision for 2 different modems(not the 3/4G)? Did you use different ISPs?

Nah, no CISCO gear (yet), and my Gig switch is only a "quasi" smart switch.

*points at Thideras*

"I blame him!"

Including the CPU en route? I'll be at 4,4,4,4,3,2,2,2+2,1+1,1(30) cores(give or take a few). And well over 20tb of storage.

Ok so yeah maybe I am close to business grade computing power for just myself.:comp:

I think I need counseling, is there an AA for geeks?

!BACK ON TOPIC!

Im assuming that you did this for a business?

Otherwise, how did you manage to get your ISP to provision for 2 different modems(not the 3/4G)? Did you use different ISPs?

2 different isp's twc and rcn. Router does dynamic round robin load balancing based on max bandwidth and available. Example start and FTP an it uses 10mb per sec when you open a 2nd connection it will use the 2nd modem etc. Works great.

PS Its for my home office (mostly gaming wiht a little work)

Last edited:
Back