• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to RMA an Intel CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Awesome little write up! I was wondering how this was done! :thup:

So no recceipt or anything is needed? All I need is the box and date of sale?

Last edited:
I'll probably RMA my i5 680 soon b/c the IGP doesn't work. I already had the sticky bookmarked :)

It's really easy, I did my last one through the chat support, so far so good!
They wanted the cpu, heatsink, and box back from me. What all they want seems to vary widely.

Well, I hope they don't want the box. I have the chip and 3 or 4 LGA1156 heatsinks (I'm not sure which came with the 680). In the sticky, he states multiple times that a box is not needed :shrug:

Last edited:
the article mentioned if you are in the US and have a cpu brought in Europe a processing fee is required, how does it work if its the other way around? my cpu was originally brought in USA and I am in the UK

*touch wood* my cpu is functioning correctly right now, but just would like to know just encase

I would expect the situation is the same - a nominal processing fee. Likely there to cover international shipment costs, which would be roughly equivalent going one way or the other across the pond.

I would expect the situation is the same - a nominal processing fee. Likely there to cover international shipment costs, which would be roughly equivalent going one way or the other across the pond.

would make sense, hopefully I will never need to find out. This week I have had to arrange RMA for 2 laptops (one mine, one my sisters) identical laptops, different problems

The warranty is 3 years from date of sale for retail, so how do they know when you bought it without a receipt and if the CPU is still under warranty?

Riiiiiiiiight. I can knock out all 33 'mensa' quiz items in minutes, but cant read. :p

+1 to Mattno's Q though...

The warranty is 3 years from date of sale for retail, so how do they know when you bought it without a receipt and if the CPU is still under warranty?

Good question...I think they are pretty lenient on that, as long as you have the stuff they ask for they will RMA it

Whoever just posted this to the Twitter/Facebook feeds needs to check their wording. RMA "cause you fried it" is horribly WRONG.

step one find someone like me who's intel authorized retail.

step 2 pick up your rma next day.

gl

Whoever just posted this to the Twitter/Facebook feeds needs to check their wording. RMA "cause you fried it" is horribly WRONG.

I passed that feedback on after I saw it on Facebook. :thup:

We're an ethical bunch around here, and that sends the wrong message a bit. We're working on getting more people tweeting, so its a learning process getting new people into the mix. We'll work out the kinks.

People like you here, and those on facebook, reflects the ethics our crowd has - the wording was called out very quickly.

Back