• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Chimp Challenge 2011: Contest Rules and Important Dates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Chimp Challenge 2011

The Chimp Challenge is an annual multi-way Folding@Home contest. This year the teams are:
  • Overclockers.com folding as T32monkeys with David as team captain.
  • Maximum PC folding as maximum_monkey with Full_taoer as team captain.
  • Overclockers Australia folding as Monkey_Bolllocks with leroyxx as team captain.
  • Overclockers.net folding as OCNChimpin with zodac as team captain.
  • EVGA folding as EVGApes with Barbarossa17 as team captain.
  • CPC and Bit-tech folding as CustomBitChimps with coolamasta as team captain.
  • Hardware Canucks folding as Beavers_Gone_Bananas with chriskwarren as team captain.
  • TSC! Russia folding as TSCCh!mp with Hil as team captain.
  • Tech Power Up folding as ChimPowerUp with BUCK NASTY as team captain.

How do I join in?

You need to change your USERNAME to T32monkeys and make sure your team number is 32. If you're new to folding please start a thread in this Folding@Home forum and we'll help you get set up :). You also must use a passkey to get the quick return bonuses - this can make quite a difference to how many points you make. The username, team and passkey are entered into the Folding@Home client when you set it up. You have two options with the passkey:

• Set up your own, see http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey. This passkey ties T32monkeys, team 32 and your email address so you can see how many points your machines have contributed to the T32monkeys total. However, you must complete TEN workunits before the contest starts.
  • The easiest option is to use our shared passkey: enter T32monkeys as your username, 32 as your team and 63db8ce5557ac843556921df5f3a5f95
    as your passkey.

Stats: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/chimp_challenge/2011//

Rules are as follows:
  • Each team will fold for 10 days solid for the duration of the contest.
  • A "Chimp Points" system will be used to determine the placings as follows:
    • The total points of each parent team is taken from the months of October 2010 to February 2011.
    • One-tenth of a percent (0.1%) of the respective team's 5-month total will be the points required to earn one (1) Chimp Point.
    • The team with the most Chimp Points earned at the end of the 10 days will be declared the winner.
    • EVGA - 2,189,018 = 1 Chimp Point
    • Overclock.net - 1,103,028 = 1 Chimp Point
    • Overclockers.com - 687,521 = 1 Chimp Point
    • Maximum PC Magazine - 598,692 = 1 Chimp Point
    • TSC! Russia - 740,887 = 1 Chimp Point
    • CustomPC & BitTech - 653,039 = 1 Chimp Point
    • Overclockers Australia - 241,621 = 1 Chimp Point
    • TechPowerUp! - 217,346 = 1 Chimp Point
    • Hardware Canucks Forum - 232,244 = 1 Chimp Point

• The start time for the contest is Thursday, May 5th at 12pm, Pacific Daylight Time (UTC -7).
  • The finish for the contest is Sunday, May 15th at 12pm, Pacific Daylight Time (UTC -7).
  • The victor gets to claim the lucky jaded monkey as the prize. Tales have been told of untold wealth and fame that comes with this. The victorious team is allowed to display in any honorary fashion the jaded monkey, the losing teams are forbidden to display it.
  • The losing teams are bestowed the dreaded monkey's paw, which is said to be cursed.
    People have been known for have very bad luck with this paw!
  • In the event of a close race, a Stanford daily_user_summary.txt file will be the official source for points information.
  • Only team captains are allowed to make changes to rules and will be looking out for any "foul play".
  • Have fun and keep it positive

Last edited:
I will predict that one of the bottom 3 teams will win with this system. At least one of them will surely attract some power and with a 10x multiplier compared to the top team, that should push them to the top. We certainly have more of a chance with this system than with any other that's been proposed as we have in effect a 3.2 multiplier on all new power compared to EVGA. (Actually our divisor is 3.2 times lower, but multipliers just sound better). I'm not unhappy with the setup and none of the teams have an excuse for not being close in this contest. It may prove to be more fun than usual. (under my breath.... that wouldn't be too hard) ;)

I like this format - I am working on two new folding rigs; should be ready by May!

I like this format as well. I'll commit the bulk of my folding machines, some I won't be able to get to for a while, but hopefully I can borg a couple of more else where ;)

I should note that we're looking out for anything that is against the spirit of the competition.

E.g. please don't save up 98% completed WUs until the first day of the competition as this affects Stanford adversely.

That's my name in the OP. I'm so proud. :bday:

I will predict that one of the bottom 3 teams will win with this system. At least one of them will surely attract some power and with a 10x multiplier compared to the top team, that should push them to the top. We certainly have more of a chance with this system than with any other that's been proposed as we have in effect a 3.2 multiplier on all new power compared to EVGA. (Actually our divisor is 3.2 times lower, but multipliers just sound better). I'm not unhappy with the setup and none of the teams have an excuse for not being close in this contest. It may prove to be more fun than usual. (under my breath.... that wouldn't be too hard) ;)

It'll certainly be easier for some of the teams with lower PPD, but that doesn't mean it'll be easier. We won't be going down without a fight. :rock:

Hi there fellow folders,

Just dropping on by to say gidday.

I'll just leave this here OCAU Smack Talk Thread

:attn:

Go Aussie's!!:beer:
That's my name in the OP. I'm so proud.
Go Irish:beer:I better make it 2:D:beer:

David I assumed we would be folding with last years name are we changing it? Or is that a misspelling? Last years T32monkeys. This years T32Monkeys.

We will also need to get everyone who is doing smp/bigadv the passkey.

Last edited:
Same as last year, sorry. I'll correct it.

Same as last year, sorry. I'll correct it.

When you give the passkey please give explicit instructions for what people need to do. I assume it's change the folder name and passkey (for SMP), but this isn't obvious. Can you please give clear, very visible instructions so everybody gets it right? Thanks. :)

When you give the passkey please give explicit instructions for what people need to do. I assume it's change the folder name and passkey (for SMP), but this isn't obvious. Can you please give clear, very visible instructions so everybody gets it right? Thanks. :)

It would be nice if you could use the passkey and put in what ever name you want, and still get the bonus. We know that passkey has had 10 smp wu's folded under it from last year.

I am ready to rack up my 10 if someone can send it to me. Harlem sent it to me last year but I only used GPU's and it wasn't needed. Can't find it anymore.:-/

I'll sort out a new passkey shortly and post it up.

OK guys, we have a passkey.

Hello T32monkeys:

Your Folding@Home Client passkey is:
<snip>

Your username is:
T32monkeys

Please use this to activate your client.
Thankyou,
Folding@Home Team

The passkey is registered to david at overclockers.

Last edited:
Don't we want to keep this private?

Yep**! Needs to be pm'd to our active folders, along with a personal invitation to join us in the CC, and when it starts and all that. Lots of our team members are not regular forum readers and every year we get members joining the race near the end, because they didn't know it was happening at all.

It's crazy, we're THE most experienced CC race team on the planet (along with MaxPC), and every year . . .

Have we got an invitation out to the other teams on Overclockers to join us? (No, it's not cheating -- it's encouraged. The more the merrier!).

And no, I don't want to be team captain. It's quite frustrating to race with 32. :bang head

** Any team that wanted to could cripple our entire team's race, using this passkey.

Back