• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7-2700k Pricing Structure Revealed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Several news outlets, including Fudzilla and VR-Zone, are reporting that the upcoming Intel i7-2700k will cost more than the current top CPU, the 2600k. In the past, Intel has priced the newest processor at the same level as the previous fastest model it's replacing. This strategy seems to have served Intel fairly well, as they still contro...

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easier to bin? Process wont change.

I dont know If its $331 and supposedly overclocks better, it probably wouldnt hurt to get one and take your chances if you have a lower multi chip.

I'm tempted to pick one up but if I couldn't get to at least the same clocks as my current i5-2500k (5Ghz) it would feel like a bust.

Easier to bin? Process wont change.

I dont know If its $331 and supposedly overclocks better, it probably wouldnt hurt to get one and take your chances if you have a lower multi chip.

Well, as it says in the article: "Intel is “cherry picking the best of the best of its Sandy Bridge cores for the 2700.” "

That is what I meant by "easier to bin". Easier might not have been the right word. Maybe "more successful" to bin would've been better...

If that statement is correct, than your chances getting a better one will likely increase, yup. :)

not gonna be buying one unless others who do buy them get good results.

+1. My thoughts exactly. If people end up getting killer chips from the i7-2700K, I'll jump on it. Otherwise, I'll stick to what I know.

Looks like HWBOT needs to add another CPU into their database... :D

I've had a 2600k and I have sold that rig. I'm building a new rig soon and I was planning just on picking up a 2500k as I do a little gaming and not much of anything that requires hyper-threading to be honest. But hey, i'll have an upgrade path to a 2600-2700k or Ivy Bridge so I'm pretty satisfied. I would never fully use one of these CPU's to it's full potential. Although I am very interested in all this technology, I'm by no means an "enthusiast".

Another side note: Prior to the 2600k I had a Phenom II X6 and to be honest I never even think I utilized that to it's full potential.

I might be interested in such a thing next year some time, I am building a BD rig for my new primary system, but I could see myself picking one of these up as a dedicated benching chip provided the results are >= 2600k.

Well...considering I JUST built my i5 2500k rig, I don't see myself blowing $350 on a brand new chip for a few extra Mhz. Given yes, maybe it could get to 8Ghz better then my i5, but still. I don't utilize it, and many programs won't be able to utilize it for a while at least. And when they do, then it's off to linux with the machine. I'm going to suck every last bit of life out of that i5, and when it craps out, then there will be a whole new generation of octocores (or maybe decacores) on the market. :D

Ehh, neither chip will get remotely close to 8Ghz. Many programs do use multicores. And last, there is more than a few extra Mhz difference (HT).

...and more cache than the 2500K.

I wonder if Intel means they are trying to fix the low wall issue. It would be sweet if all i7 2700K's were like 55x chips or better :D

...and more cache than the 2500K.

I wonder if Intel means they are trying to fix the low wall issue. It would be sweet if all i7 2700K's were like 55x chips or better :D
Well I already have a 55x chip so I am hoping for more like 57x :)

Not many, but as time goes on, more and more will. If you can afford it, why not? Always get the best you can/want afford is my motto

Back