• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After seeing the pricing on these things, I feel the need to add a comment here to go along with my conclusion. Even with all the negativity surrounding the launch, I still think it's a good performer for multi-threaded applications at its $245 MSRP. At the $280 price point they are selling for, no way would I recommend this CPU to anybody. Get the 2600K for a bit more or save some cash and get a 2500K to perform close to as well. This CPU is worth $25 more than the 2500K if you use multi-threaded applications, but it is definitely NOT worth $60 more.

For existing AMD users, if you already have a Thuban, don't bother upgrading unless you want a new toy. Even then, don't upgrade until the price comes down to where it should be.

I'm very disappointed in the current price point of these things. If it's the latest AND greatest, sure, crank the price up at launch...but if it's only the latest, you're just gouging suckers and early adopters. EarthDog does bring up a good point though. While I can't recommend this CPU at $280, AMD is not the one gouging right now, the retailers are. I don't blame AMD for what their retailers are doing, nor do I think AMD themselves set the price too high. At the same time, that's what they're selling for and I can't recommend the CPU at that price point.

Once prices drop to MSRP (or, hey, lower would be even better!), all will be well and I'd recommend this CPU as stated in the conclusion to the article.

---------
I had promised folding results to Shelnutt2, but they couldn't make the review. So, they will be posted in the first post!

Regular SMP work unit - 13698.9ppd

Bigadv work unit - 13859.2ppd

So between 13,500 and 14,000 at stock, which is right where it's positioned - around the PPD of a 2500K. Based on power consumption compared to the fact that this performs right alongside the 2500K, no person that focuses on distributed computing should touch these with a ten foot pole (unless they have free electricity).

Last edited:
There will be another article popping up in a couple days to talk about the Architecture of this CPU.

hmm... well, interesting enough. Saw what I wanted to see, too invested at this point to turn back. I suppose I will be taking a learning experience from this one.

Last edited:
What type of load temps were you reaching at 4.7? I'm pushing 70c at 4.2 at stock volts... I'm confused as to why my review sample is performing so poorly.

Sorry I'm blind, i see you were in the 30's under load on your swiftech loop. I'm testing on air with the noctua c-12, so I expect my temps to be higher, but not 40deg higher.

He was still under 60C so still in the range of the current Fire Wall Rule.

We are still seeing the same rules apply with BD as we saw with Thuban and Deneb.

nice review. a bit of a performance disappointment, but i already ordered mine. so let the good times roll :thup:

I cant say Im jumping ship. My socks are still on, they have not been blown off. Price for what you get though cannot be beat.......outside of that apparent Microcenter deal posted above... :p

I want to see some BOINC numbers. I see no real advantages or reason to move to a new platform if it will not burry an Intel Quad or AMD X6. Not beat but burry.

For me this is a little sad; actually:cry: Come on AMD:(

:rain:

Back