• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE EVGA GTX 580 Classified Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

DSCN1927-300x225.jpg

EVGA is well known in the nVidia GPU market for their warranties, customer support, and high-end cards. They have also become a big player in the Intel motherboard market in recent years as well with their top of the line motherboards and even overclock-able dual socket boards. EVGA's range of products consists of the mid- to high-end variety with EVGA's Classified branding denoting their top products in both performance and overclocking. Today, we have one of those high-end products: the elusive EVGA GTX 580 Classified.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thing overclocks like a beast on ambient... Much better than I could do with the Matrix or Lightning on ambient cooling.

My flashed EVBot is on the way back to me now thanks to EarthDog. So, we'll see what happens with up to 1.8v and PWM control. My cascade probably isn't up to the task for all out 1.8v though...

I was going to comment on the 1.3V limitation and mention that there is an updated firmware for EVBot that allows much more than that, but then I read that you don't have a motherboard that can hook up to the EVBot unit. :(

Great review nonetheless. The Classy is a beast of a card and overkill for about 90% of the populace, but we all know that if something is worth doing; it definitely is worth overdoing. :D

Yeah, I'm not sure why the EVGA P67 FTW doesn't support the EVBot, but X79 FTW does... Guess it took them a while to figure out how to work around the SB architecture :shrug:

Very nice review Matt! Sounds like you have a few extra 580s lying around... :santa:

Quick comment on the 'OC Scanner' thing, I'm guessing your temps were so low because of the fact that nVidia throttles applications like Furmark and Kombuster, and I presume it would do the same to eVGA's as well. I think there is a driver tweak that you can enable (or technically disable) to prevent the throttling though.

I can't wait to see what it can do when you get to push the vcore up a little bit past that wussy 1.3v :)

Yeah... I have three GTX580s now: a Matrix, Lightning, and Classy :rolleyes:

My temps were low because of the GPU only loop with a 4x120 rad :D Plus, it was only on for the time it took to take the screenie. However, even in extended use, temps never got past 34C or so. I just did a quick 3 minute test with the classy + 3930K in the 4x120 rad loop and temps got to 38C.

There aren't any signs of throttling in software monitoring. GPU usage stays at 95-97% load and clocks do not fluctuate.

In January, if I found $600 on the sidewalk and I needed a GPU, then I'd probably get a HD7970. From hokie's results with the HD7970, it looks like the HD7970 only beats the GTX580 by a good margin in DX11 applications. Really, both the GTX580 and HD7970 can play DX11 games at good frame rates (45+) at a mainstream single monitor resolution.

In my personal situation, I would probably be looking at a used GTX580 for $380-400 over the HD7970 for gaming and put the money saved into something else. Especially since I don't play any DX11 games. For benching, that's another story, I'd splurge for the HD7970 for 3DMark11 and Heaven Xtreme.

Back