• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Hypers Just Got More Expensive.... Elipida Files for Bankruptcy.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
I initially saw this at Tech Reaction forums; good catch on their part!

Nyarlathotep_75 said:
High End Desktop DRAM Manufacturer, Elpida, filed for Bankruptcy today, citing 5.6 billion in debt....

CEO resigning in disgrace as "scapegoat"...

Reuters Source
(Reuters) - Elpida Memory Inc filed for protection from creditors on Monday with $5.6 billion in debt, the biggest bankruptcy filing by a Japanese manufacturer, after potential partners failed to come through to rescue the cash-strapped chipmaker.

Engadget Source
DRAM Maker Elpida has petitioned for a corporate reorganization (the equivalent of Chapter 11 or Administration) as the company has revealed it is close to collapse. President Yukio Sakamoto is expected to resign as the scapegoat for the calamity as it files for protection at the Tokyo District Court.

Bloomberg Source
Feb. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Elpida Memory Inc., the last Japanese maker of computer-memory chips, filed for the nation’s biggest bankruptcy in two years after semiconductor prices plunged and it failed to win a second government bailout. Elpida, unprofitable in each of the past five quarters, had liabilities of 448 billion yen ($5.5 billion), according to a filing with Japan’s finance ministry today. The maker of dynamic random access memory, or DRAM, chips will be delisted from the Tokyo Stock Exchange on March 28.

Start grabbing your DRAM sticks NOW guys, prices are expected to start going up in no time at all! Speculations already on the buzz that Newegg is going to start adjusting their prices within days!

they will still meet contracts with ram companies. i don't think they will jack up their prices. bbse will live long til 2013.

Are high end sticks still bring made? I thought that they were all out of production and three used market was three only real place to get them?

I thought that they stopped making Hyper IC's a while ago, it's just that companies like Corsair still have such a huge stock on hand that they can make the Dom GTs...?

@k
@j

they stopped dom gt's

gskill sometimes comes out with elpida rams, with bbse 2200 6-9-6 capable rams

@hokie thanks bro

Sticks on hypers you can get only from ebay etc ;) Since Elpida merged with PSC some time ago and they were making almost the same chips. I think it's end for PSC too.
If you noticed then most producers are making "high end" stuff on Hynix now. I don't know what with new samsungs but all is going to high clocks while timings are only worse.
Last BASE/BBSE series ( that I know about ) were G.Skills RipjawsX 2133 designed for SB so already have 1 year and are not produced anymore since maybe 8 months.
Probably biggest Elpida partner that was Kingston moved most 2000+ series to BDBG last year and only some were on last BBSE.

Not hypers ... PSC http://www.kitguru.net/components/m...s-f3-17066-cl7d-2133mhz-sandybridge-review/2/
;)
BBSE and some hypers were RipjawsX 2133 8-9-8 F3-17000CL8D-4GBXMD

The kit that Hondacity linked to is slightly different than the kit under review that you linked. Not saying anything about which ICs are in which kit, just pointing out that they are not exactly the same kits, or at least the model numbers are different.

Hondacity's linked product is F3-17000CL7D-4GBXHD

The reviewed product you linked is F3-17066CL7D-4GBXH

Subtle differences, but may result in use of different IC.

Last edited:
The kit that Hondacity linked to is slightly different than the kit under review that you linked. Not saying anything about which ICs are in which kit, just pointing out that they are not exactly the same kits, or at least the model numbers are different.

Hondacity's linked product is F3-17000CL7D-4GBXHD

The reviewed product you linked is F3-17066CL7D-4GBXH

Subtle differences, but may result in use of different IC.

Pretty sure that he knows they are different kits. He is pointing out the fact that the kit that Hondacity linked are not hypers and the other kit is Elpida of some flavor.

Guess this means that there will be no DDR4 hypers. :(

Gonna be stuck with crappy timings in the future

Last edited:
you are right ... funny is that link to this review is on G.Skill site ;) http://gskill.com/products.php?index=369

here is other one with PSC on photo http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/l...g-skill-ripjawsx-ddr3-2133-cl7-4-gib-kit.html

That second link does in fact show PSC ICs in their reviewed sample. Like I initially posted, I wasn't questioning whether or not you were correct about which chips were being used...just that your link was to a different product, however, given that you were using GSkill's own link, you can be forgiven for the wrong link.

When you look at the chart of all those GSkill products shown in that last linked review and see the sheer number of models and only minor differences in their model numbers, it is easy to see how even GSkill get their products confused. If they can't get it right, just how in the world are we going to have a chance, right? :D

Last edited:
BBSE/hypers were almost only in tRCD 9, 2GB/stick RipjawsX ( 2133 8-9-8 and 2200 9-9-9 ), Perfect Storm series ( most 2000 ) and some Ripjaws/Tridents 2000. Almost all other 2000+ are on PSC and almost all new 2000+ sets are on Hynix ( like Z series ). I'm saying almost only about 2000+ kits here.
If I'm wrong then correct me ;)

I will probably get one AData Xtreme 2000 set on BBSE/Hypers tomorrow ( ~95% chance for that :p ), well last chance to get something good on low timings :)

F3-17000CL7D-4GBXHD - PSC XFH , F3-17066CL7D-4GBXH - PSC XEY

Last edited:
the ram link was for sumonpathak. if he needs good rams for benching. the rams work awesome for sandybridge without hurting it with too much voltage like the old hypers.

Back