• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid 1TB Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

What do you do when you're addicted to the speed SSD's provide, but you need more space than your budget will allow in an SSD? You look to OCZ's RevoDrive Hybrid 1TB. OCZ has come up with an all-in-one HDD/RevoDrive caching solution for those power users that NEED all that space. It?s based on the standard 100GB RevoDrive 3, but then for a boost in storage capacity OCZ straps a 1TB Toshiba 2.5? HDD to its back. The Hybrid solution eliminates the SATA bottleneck and the need for a motherboard based caching solution, as everything that is needed is ready to drop into any available PCI-e slot.

Feature.jpg

... Return to article to continue reading.

Great review Nick, looks like a good solution for people with huge OS/program drives. :thup:

Pretty neat!

Can the 2.5" drive be removed? It looks like it can from the pics. I ask because I'm wondering if the HDD can be removed, then use a SATA data/power extension cord to run from the Revodrive to a larger 3.5" drive in your case's HDD cage (could possibly just run data extension and power from PSU). That would make the revodrive upgradable.

Thanks guys.

Yes Matt, the drive can be removed. The SATA extension should definitely work, but I would guess the power and data would both need to be powered by the cache board for recognizable boot devices and initialization purposes. The whole assembly comes apart very easily actually (8 screws).

Struck through incorrect statement per OCZ. -hokie

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it can not be removed. Well, it physically can but it shouldn't. Just received this from OCZ (glad they saw that post):

It may be able to physically removed, but the drive will no longer work and the HDD is not swappable/upgradeable…plus it voids the warranty.

Hmm...why would it make the whole thing not work? Is there something special about that 2.5" drive?

Nice review, nice drive ... there is only one but , drivers are only for Win7 ...

Back