• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE TiN's Guide to NVIDIA GTX 680 Modifications

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So if I wanted to get a little more out of my water-cooled GTX 680 would my best and easiest option be the Power Limiter Modification? I just want to get a little more power to the core, as it stands right now I am only hitting 44c at around 1300mhz, but I cant go any higher. If this mod is the best option, could it be done with out soldering wires to the board, could it be done with a good old lead pencil?

Yes, but I don't think that will complete your task. The VID limiter just refuses to allow the GPU to see > 1.21 V. If you did that mod, and only that mod, it would allow > 1.21V to go to the GPU, but you won't find any software out there that allows the kind of range that the VID-switch-mod allows.

I don't think a lead pencil will be enough for the VID mod either. It needs to see ground. That signal would be dubious at best with a pencil.

I doubt it, you'd either need to do a VID mod (which requires very low ohm connection) or lower the resistance on the shunt resistors (being 0.5ohm a pencil isn't likely to do anything meaningful).

Right now, I have my GTX680 on water, and it is running great, I can get right about 1275 out of it, and it hits 45c max in furmark. Since it was running so cool, I have been looking for a way to get a little more power to the core. I am using Precision X, and it says at full load, I am using 111% power, and about 1.1v @ around 1275, if I try for 1300 it is unstable, but it is not getting anywhere near the 132% power target. So I am looking for a way to get it to pull a little more power then it is trying to on its own do right now.

Software won't let you give more voltage I take it?
(I haven't played with a 680 yet)

Hard-mod is the only way currently. The software won't let you go higher. VID mod will allow the core to receive the voltage, but not give it the voltage. Software won't let you give it more.

I don't blame them really. For whatever ridiculous reason they disabled one of the power planes. I bet TiN's card wouldn't have blown a FET if all five were enabled. It was an effort to undercut the 7970's prices, I understand that. It doesn't effect most people, but those it does (overclockers) will find the low voltage limitation annoying. Had there been five phases, I bet we'd see a higher voltage limit without hard-mod. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...didn't.

The thing that is getting me, is that it is not nearing the power target you can set for it, but it is getting unstable, so it needs a little more power, it has the room to do so within it's limitations, but it is not giving it.

I am hoping there will be a way to give it a little more power in the future, a way to tell it to use a little more power by default, but within the power limit it is setting. I am not looking to do anything crazy, I would just like to be able to use all of that 132% of power that they say I can, instead of counting on the dynamic clocking the card deciding whether or not it should use it.

I am guessing that within the next weeks we may see a solution though.

Non-reference cards will have the option if the manufacturers want them to.
A BIOS mod for the reference cards might do it too, the VRM just follows orders after all. How many of those orders are hardware and how many are firmware I don't know.

I have heard that the BIOS on the GTX 680 is some how digitally signed and will not be user upgradable/editable.

That's what AMD has been doing for quite a while (since before they bought ATI, I think), but it doesn't lock user edited bioses out entirely.

I really hope Nvidia doesn't lock it 100%, that would be terrible.

if its signed it wont keep serious modders from getting around it, someone will find the key one way or another, or a work around for it. Lets just hope if it is locked, that it doesnt work like the AMD's setup does, which bricks your card half the time. Then leaves it un-recoverable without a Jtag connection.

I just wonder why EVGA doesnt simply release a upgraded board able to take the punsh instead of modding it to the teeth. Something only experts might be able to understand, because i dont see the background.

Surely deeply impressed that the Kepler can keep pace with AMDs overclock, that was rather unexpected. Although some more work have to be done.

They will be in about a month, they have already released a super clocked edition of the card, I haven't been able to get any pictures of it naked yet, but I am guessing its 5 phases for power, instead of 4 phases.

This is actually a midrange card that performed so well they released it first as a top end to compete with AMD right? Can't wait to see the real hi end.:thup:

Back