• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE OCZ Synapse Cache 64 GB SSD Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

If you do not own a Z68 platform motherboard, but the idea of hard drive caching pique your interest; don't run out and buy a new Z68 motherboard quite yet! With the release of the Synapse Cache SSDs by OCZ, you can bring SSD caching to just about any modern system. OCZ has made available both a 64 GB and 128 GB version. Today, we will be reviewing the 64 GB version.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Disk spinning during data access?

When the Data is cached does the hard drive still spin when accessing the data? This could be very useful for HTPC applications if the HDD can remain silent when accessing movies that are cached on the SSD.

@sharpsuxx - You would have to play the movie in it's entirety a few times in order for it to completely cache, but I'm not sure that makes the best use of the drive. Movie files are pretty large and using it to cache movies would probably fill it up pretty quickly, at which point it will remove the oldest entries to make room for the next thing you do.

@ Codeman05 - Thanks for the kind words sir!

I don't like the idea of being dependant on third party software licenses that need to be maintained. Someday there will be no one to call to unlock the license.

I don't like the idea of being dependant on third party software licenses that need to be maintained. Someday there will be no one to call to unlock the license.

Unless you have Z68/Z77 board with Intel Smart Response Technology, then software is the only way to go about it for now. So, getting one of those boards is the only solution.

That's exactly right Matt, there is no other option. IIRC the caching drive that Corsair has brought to market also uses the DataPlex software, which by the way was developed by a company called NVELO.

I probably should have put that information in the review......LOL

Back