• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD A8-3870K APU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any comment from AMD on how they chose the naming convention? Seems confusing when AMD has a 3870K and Intel has a 3770K in their current product lineup.

Any comment from AMD on how they chose the naming convention? Seems confusing when AMD has a 3870K and Intel has a 3770K in their current product lineup.

duh everyone knows the 3870k is faster than the 3770k :rofl:

Well the A8 3850 was released last summer, so technically they laid claim to that chain of names a while ago.

rescuetoaster, I think he's referring to the "K" part. I agree it's pretty silly. Black Edition, or just BE would be more in-line with AMD's naming conventions.

Oh yeah, lol, I didn't even notice that.

Ok, now I am interested to hear AMD comment on that. I don't know why they would do that; Black Edition sounds cooler.

The folks we deal with are outsourced marketing and likely didn't have anything to do with the naming. I won't bother them to dig back at HQ about this one; but it definitely is amusing they went with K when it's very hard not to notice Intel K- CPUs have been around for a while. :shrug:

Ahh a year later and people are still fighting about who owns the K tag for there chips... Clearly AMD put the K on the back on of the APU to try and look like the Intel 2500/2600k series chips. However, as most of us here already know AMD has been using the K nomenclature longer than Intel has(k6, k6-2,k7,k8,k10,etc). The 3870k is a fun little chip my wife is enjoying hers @ 3.6Ghz in dual graphics /w 6670 since last fall. Good stuff!

Ok. I get you know.

I got confused by ssj's post. 3870k and 6670 dual graphics. Then I realized what review I was reading..:bang head

This is gonna confuse our average Joes.

I have caught myself doing the same thing a few times when people posted stuff in general spots about the socket 2011 cores. The Angry geek in me goes into a rage, then I read it again and realize I am the slow party. DOH :(

Good review man :D

Very late in the day if you don't mind me saying :) they are about to be taken over by Trinity, all thought this is useful to new adopters of APU's i guess, as they will get pretty cheap before long to clear space for Trinity.

Are we going to see some Trinity tests here any time soon?

That's their generational architecture name..lol. we are talking public name.
Ahh a year later and people are still fighting about who owns the K tag for there chips... Clearly AMD put the K on the back on of the APU to try and look like the Intel 2500/2600k series chips. However, as most of us here already know AMD has been using the K nomenclature longer than Intel has(k6, k6-2,k7,k8,k10,etc). The 3870k is a fun little chip my wife is enjoying hers @ 3.6Ghz in dual graphics /w 6670 since last fall. Good stuff!

i actually got selected to review one of these. amd is sending me one for free. i really dont think im going to build a system for this. might sell it for more parts for water cooling

i like the idea of putting 2 in one. but dont think its for me

You'd be suprised how well they perform for most stuff, I was more than comfortable playing world of warcraft on one in a raid. It was overclocked a decent amount but it was extremely smooth and no fps problems at all.

Plus 3870k's are great overclockers while cold if your interested in ever going that route.

Don't forget that the PhII line is named after the i7 (first gen) line.
This isn't exactly a first here.

There were 3870/3850 GPUs, too.

Back