• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooled Bitfenix Prodigy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyleboy77

Recently I won the Bitfenix Prodigy case contest featured on the front page.
With a new case on its way and no parts to put in it I decided to do a new build.

My plan is to water cool the CPU and GPU, Install a window or 2, sleeve the modular psu cables and paint a few things.

I would like to thank DangerDen for providing me with waterblocks for the GPU and CPU, they also provided me with a discount on the rest of my components

I'm still waiting on the case to arrive but in the mean-time I have ordered up most of the components I will be needing. Everyone enjoys a list, so here we gooooooo.

• Intel i5-3570k Ivy Bridge
  • ASRock Z77E-ITX Motherboard
  • Gigabyte GTX 670
  • OCZ Vertex 3 120gb SSD
  • Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb
  • 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
  • OCZ 650zt Fully Modular PSU (might get changed)
  • DangerDen M6 Cpu Block
  • DangerDen GTX680 full cover block (the gpu uses a 680 pcb)
  • Laing DDC 3.25 Pump
  • Black Ice SR1 120 and 240 radiators
  • Yate Loon Medium 120mm fans

I have a few cell phone pics here.

Recently I won the Bitfenix Prodigy case contest featured on the front page.
With a new case on its way and no parts to put in it I decided to do a new build.
That's the spirit! :clap:

Looking forward to seeing this one come to life. Subscribed!

I was out all weekend however, the case arrived on friday!

I need to clean up my workbench before I can really get to work on this.

But for now, I just got it opened up here are a few pics

D'oh! That sucks, sorry to hear that. It does seem like an awfully long PSU for a 650W version. Or the proportions are off b/c the case is so small, one of the two.

Bah you beat me to it, once I saw that case, I fell in love with it and wanted to try it out. Can't wait for more updates!

D'oh! That sucks, sorry to hear that. It does seem like an awfully long PSU for a 650W version. Or the proportions are off b/c the case is so small, one of the two.

Its a pretty long psu at 6.9in; Inside the psu there is something like half an inch of unused space.

I can't complain too much, I picked it up off the classified from jonnyGURU for $50

Last edited:
:drool: i want a mini itx case :( lol where is the 240 rad gonna go?

Looks like it would fit inside if he removed the HDD bay, which introduces its own set of problems. NO idea how he's going to fit both in there...my guess is at least one is going to be external. It'll definitely be fun to watch come together. :D

I have the rads mocked up and its going to be a very tight fit. I'm probably going to need a couple 45s or 90s to make it clean. I'm also going to be needing a 140mm to 120mm fan adapter plate so I can mount the front rad securely.

again, please excuse the cellphone pics its pretty much the best i've got right now.

any suggestions/tips are always welcome.

7727245898_0477b70e2d.jpg
mocking up the rads by kyleboy777777, on Flickr

I have the rads mocked up and its going to be a very tight fit. I'm probably going to need a couple 45s or 90s to make it clean. I'm also going to be needing a 140mm to 120mm fan adapter plate so I can mount the front rad securely.

again, please excuse the cellphone pics its pretty much the best i've got right now.

any suggestions/tips are always welcome.
7727245898_0477b70e2d.jpg r

i didnt realise it had the 2x120 on the top :D

I got the gpu block installed tonight. I noticed that Danger Den cools some
vrms up at the top of the card which the stock cooler didn't contact with a heatsink, which is nice. Good Job Danger Den. This should be interesting to see how it cools in comparison to the stock hsf which was doing a good job this afternoon, I had furmark running the burn in test and it was only hitting 65c, it was cool in the room, but I think I should be able to beat that. Well see.

Naked
7729183656_e81414132a.jpg

Front w/ block
7729124396_1198197140.jpg
gpu block installed by kyleboy777777, on Flickr

Back w/ block
7729192708_ea6ce8df13.jpg

I've also taken a beauty shot of two pairs of Danger Den's 3/8in fat boy barbs. Over the weekend I grabbed an extra pair at microcenter, these are on the left, and the have a more traditional chrome finish and wider spacing on the teeth of the barbs.
I asked the guys at Danger Den today and they said they have changed to a different darker chrome finish which can be seen at the right. You can also see that the teeth on these barbs are closer together and feel sharper to me, I suspect these newer barbs will grab the tubing better.

7729120124_74ccc2bb56.jpg

As far as the psu is concerned, at this point I'm not too keen on replacing it, I may get one of these http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...r_Supply_Extension_Bracket_-_Black_PE-01.html Or try to build one myself, it can't be too hard, just a few cuts and 90 degree bends.

I'm prepping to purchase a couple of 45 and 90 degree fitting adapters and the xspc ddc restop.
I think I'm going to end up with very short tubing runs.

I'm also trying to plan out a good loop order; here's what I have in mind right now.

Pump -> 120rad ->240 rad -> cpu block ->gpu block -> res

I think that'll work for the cleanest tubing runs.

Where are you putting the res? Heh.

Looking at the positioning above, it might be shorter to go pump -> 120 rad -> CPU -> GPU -> 240 rad -> res.

I use one of those, good choice. In that case, I stand by the loop order I put above for ease of routing. :) You're definitely going to need several 90° fittings though and maybe a couple 45° too.

Back