• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Thermaltake Smart-M 1000 W Power Supply Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here we have the first unit to get a straight up FAIL stamp, something I hadn't had to drag out previously.

Unfortunately there is no real evidence as to what is causing the issue. I've seen a similar issue on one rail before due to an inductor spec issue, but given that this is all the rails it is almost certainly either the PWM controller or something else on that side of things. Given the drop in power factor, the APFC bits seem like the likely culprit.

I dont quite understand where this brand gets any love at all. always at the higher end of price and nothing special on features either. I have friends that swear by them and cant fathom that either. One of my friends had one of their 750 watt psu's that wouldnt run a pair of 4870's whereas my antec 650 had no problems at all, so he went and bought one of their 1000 watt units and I asked why he didnt just buy an antec- he couldnt answer that. another friend had one of their 700 watt psu's that wouldnt run a single 4870

They make (well, buy and slap a label on) some very good top end units. The 1275 platinum and 1375 gold (that runs platinum) come to mind.

The problem with Tt units in my book is that as far as I can tell they aren't involved in any part of the design/manufacturing/testing process. They send some stickers to a PSU company and tell 'em to have at it. The result is you (and they!) have no real idea what is coming back.

I surely dont want to make it sound like they make bad psu's. I just dont see any value in any of them, you can almost always get a comparable "name brand" for equal or less money.
For me, I think it comes to trust. I look at their cases, and generally they cheap out just about everywhere they can. and on thinks that are only pennies to make a better mousetrap.

I have one more Tt PSU to test from this batch, maybe it'll make the grade where these haven't :D

Sorry, everyone that has built computer for any lenght of time knows that a bad unit comes along every so often. I wouldnt be so fast as to write this unit off . Send the sample unit back and discuss the problems with tech support, see what they have to say, and ask them to send you another unit, make sure you send them the defective one.

Hi Alan, we did contact them.
In fact, if you read through the review you'll find this paragraph at the bottom of ripple testing, just after the issues are explained:
Tt 1kw SMART-M Review said:
We contacted Thermaltake regarding this issue, they expressed concern and discontent with their manufacturing partner, but never sent us a second unit to test, nor did they contact us with any updates. Official policy is to allow a second unit in the case of problems, Thermaltake seems to have chosen not to take us up on that. Thus this unit will be the unit receiving the final judgement.
Please fully read the review before you criticize it.

I can only review what I have in front of me, and what I have in front of me is a unit with dangerously high ripple.
Due to dangerously high ripple, it received a FAIL.

Back