• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASRock Releases Z77 OC Formula Motherboard: Designed by and Built for Overclockers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

ASRock Releases Z77 OC Formula Motherboard: Designed by and Built for Overclockers

Today, ASRock announced its newest addition to the family, the Z77 OC Formula motherboard. ASRock's high-end Fatal1ty boards geared towards gamers and suited Overclockers quite well, but the introduction of the Z77 OC Formula ushers in a whole new lineup specifically built for Overclockers. In fact, the motherboard was designed by (at least partially) by one of the top clockers in the world, Nick Shih. We give you a preview to tide you over, to give us time to thoroughly test the product and complete our performance review.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Nice to see something from ASRock dedicated to overclockers. I'll look forward to seeing some test results for this board. I wonder if they'll also be featuring Nick Shih's face in the BIOS? :)

I actually really like that color lay out, Looks sweet. The lay out looks good too, hope to see a review sometime.

I highly doubt that the golden caps truly look golden at all. Prehaps a tiny little bit but its nowhere close to what we see on those pictures. So is Asus photoshopping in order to enhance matters? Guess there is always a excuse such as "your screen simply got to high gold saturation". Fact is, from the X79 Extreme M4 boards i was able to inspect, the golden color is close to none and it rather looks like silver with a partially covered and very subtle golden shimmer. Well... gold is expensive, so they probably used the thinnest layer ever seen. If it makes sense to use gold layer from a technical point? Would say yes because gold is better at heat dissipation than ALU and highly non corrosive but the difference is close to none. So its mainly for the eyes, and sadly... in reality its not equal to those pictures.

Apart from that, its special functions (volt probe spots and "push to OC button") kinda reminds me of the GA-X58A-OC board which is one of the rather rare boards with such a unique OC design. It had such a high OC focus that all the other stuff is considered secondary (because to much complexity can hurt OC capability and will increase cost), so, size doesnt necessarely mean to have "many functions" related to non OC matters, but to OC only.

The stuff im interested the most is in what specs it will be different from "normal" boards and the difference compared to other OC boards.

Last edited:
Back